Potential Assistant coach change(s)

3 hours ago, GISker said:

Dana was a 'Dynamite Offensive Coordinator' at Oklahoma State and was snapped up in short order for a head coaching gig at WVU. Maybe not HC material, but he can make an impact on our offense.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/revisiting-dana-holgorsens-impact-on-oklahoma-state-more-than-a-decade-later/article_940ce380-849a-11ee-ab13-5fa08a5d6045.html

agree - he was the OC when Nebraska with Freshman Taylor Martenez had the shoot out at OSU  - I was at the game and both offenses were dynamic. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

agree - he was the OC when Nebraska with Freshman Taylor Martenez had the shoot out at OSU  - I was at the game and both offenses were dynamic. 

Well i'll be damned... just looked it up and that game WAS higher scoring than I remember on the Okie St. side of things

6 minutes ago, JoeHuskers! said:

Well i'll be damned... just looked it up and that game WAS higher scoring than I remember on the Okie St. side of things

Yes, everyone expected Taylor to run, run, run but he surprised everyone, including all of us Okla Cornhusker Club members at the game, with his passing.  It was an amazing game to watch.   Back and forth for most of the game until we pulled ahead for good. 

• Plus1 1

IF he is brought on as QB coach or Co-OC then the writing is pretty much on the wall for Satt. If the offense doesnt make an obvious large improvement then we will already have the guy on staff who can take over and is proven to be an offensive stud. Also it may have something to do with contract buyouts and other things that we typically arent in the know about. I'd say that Rhule has a plan, and hopefully that plan is to kick Satterfield to the curb. 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

IF he is brought on as QB coach or Co-OC then the writing is pretty much on the wall for Satt. If the offense doesnt make an obvious large improvement then we will already have the guy on staff who can take over and is proven to be an offensive stud. Also it may have something to do with contract buyouts and other things that we typically arent in the know about. I'd say that Rhule has a plan, and hopefully that plan is to kick Satterfield to the curb. 

Eh ... I'm not sure it's that cut-and-dried.

If things get better, many fans will be quick to say that Satt was the problem and DH fixed it.  But I kind of doubt Rhule will see it that way.  Especially with all the extenuating circumstances such as poor QB play and injuries, not to mention making a bunch of snap judgements in Year 1.

If things don't get better, does that mean DH didn't have any good ideas to help out?  Rhule will have his own judgements to make.  But it's kind of like firing the head coach and promoting an assistant.  Did the assistant have the answers the whole time and just wasn't telling?

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3

48 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Unless Rhule himself plans to leave (unlikely), Holgorson would only be on staff for a year no matter what. He will have head coaching offers next year (probably has a few this year), I don't think there's any way he'd stick around to be our OC in 2025. He has enough of a track record as a HC that he doesn't need another full stint as an OC.

• TBH 2
2 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I disagree.  Rhule is a development guy.  He likes Satt as shown by his history of working with him and his willingness to bring him here.  I really think DH is being considered to help develop Satt.  I personally love the concept and Rhule's willingness to help his assistants advance.    

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve been as frustrated and unimpressed with this offense as anybody but I find it a little surprising that so many seem to be on the fire Satt wagon. No offense is going to function and no play call is going to look good when the key position, quarterback, is incapable of the simplest throws and reads. Don’t even need to get into suspect OL play and ineffective WR room. Maybe it’s just me but I’m going to cut Satt some slack until he shows he can’t get it done with an actual QB. That opportunity is fastly approaching.

But I do hope we get Holgorsen in to help the O and to be a more than capable viable replacement in waiting.

Yeah....I agree.  The offense was pretty pathetic.  But, it's a knee jerk reaction to want to fire the OC when you seriously step back and look at what he had to work with.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I disagree.  Rhule is a development guy.  He likes Satt as shown by his history of working with him and his willingness to bring him here.  I really think DH is being considered to help develop Satt.  I personally love the concept and Rhule's willingness to help his assistants advance.    

Develop teenage and early 20's talent, yes.  DI B1G Coordinators making hundreds of thousands of dollars?  

As a F100 company you're not bringing in unproven, failed, or inexperienced ELT members for a massive corporate turnaround to appease shareholders and stakeholders.  

I'm shocked Satt is being entertained as a mid term option.  HH didn't get any better in his mechanics or reads throughout the year.  If anything, he got worse.  And Sims never got on track.  

• Plus1 1