We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

Our biggest problems are with turnovers.  I'm not sure 15 practices in December really fixes that.  None of the QBs apparently know how to run with the ball properly without fumbling and probably at least 2 of the 3 won't be here next year.   Learn how to protect the ball and hold it properly.  It shouldn't take the month of December to figure that out.  Any QB coach worth a lick should be able to fix that.

1 hour ago, Street Novelist said:

Maybe I am an outlier, but I would rather Nebraska stay home and reflect on our poor season, rather than back into the Bahamas Bowl or Hawaiian Bowl. It will make the boys that much hungrier next season.

Unfortunately, I have had the displeasure of dealing with the new generation of students. Reflection on what they have done wrong is not in their vocabulary. They think they can do no wrong. Having them practice and get more reps might help them more than sitting and playing Nintendo or Xbox at home. God knows they are not going to study. I agree with everyone that says that these players should earn a bowl bid and should not be rewarded for the multitude of mistakes they made but at this point, we just want them to get the extra practices, especially for a young team like what we have. 

However, there is no point beating a dead horse. We are not getting a bowl invitation. 

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Our biggest problems are with turnovers.  I'm not sure 15 practices in December really fixes that.  None of the QBs apparently know how to run with the ball properly without fumbling and probably at least 2 of the 3 won't be here next year.   Learn how to protect the ball and hold it properly.  It shouldn't take the month of December to figure that out.  Any QB coach worth a lick should be able to fix that.

You don't think more practice would help a QB better distinguish coverages and understand timing and ball placement with his receivers?  I don't think it's a born instinct. They need to learn it sometime. 

• TBH 2

2 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I don't think our starting QB is even on the roster right now.  Sims will be gone.  Probably Purdy too if he doesn't think he has at least a 50% chance at starting.  I don't see how practice in December gets us any more wins next season.

Probably no need to practice in spring or fall either.  Just start practice the week of the first game.  Doesn't really help before that.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 11/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, TonyStalloni said:

Sounds like the Minnesota Rodents took the last of the bowl bids with their 5-7 record. 

It's too bad we have such inept leadership (specifically--the regents) at DoNU that we can't get our academics up to snuff to get in line in front of a 5-7 Minnesota team. 

What happened to the pride of our academic All-Americans? We haven't heard **** about that in some time...

• TBH 2
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

It's too bad we have such inept leadership (specifically--the regents) at DoNU that we can't get our academics up to snuff to get in line in front of a 5-7 Minnesota team. 

What happened to the pride of our academic All-Americans? We haven't heard **** about that in some time...

We still lead the country in the as far as I know, but the number of Academic All-Americans has no bearing on APR. It's all about retention - even graduation is a different metric. So it favors schools with stability.

The APR is calculated as follows:

• Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.

Academic All-Americans also have no bearing on quality of the education. They're awesome, and a thing to be proud of, but it just means the student-athletes do really well in the classroom - not that the school itself is academically excellent. Nebraska is fine academically, Minnesota is better. Which doesn't matter at all for bowl game consideration. All that matters for APR is your scholarship athletes staying in school and staying eligible to play (which is a pretty low bar).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, Packerhuskerfan said:

The benefit of the bowl game practices is way more beneficial for the younger guys on the team to get continued snaps and game experience in the bowl game.  Theres a bunch of young dudes on defense and a few on offense that would surely get game playing reps in a bowl setting that could be very beneficial heading into the offseason and next year.

You're spot on for the qbs- it'll do very little for the QBs.  Perhaps chubba could've benefited given he was relegated to 3rd string/scout team qb given his groin injury.  

I just saw your 2nd post regarding QBs.  I'm sure Sims is gone next year- but i imagine both HH and purdy will remain.  We surely will bring on another QB from the portal.  Staying status quo at this position is simply a non starter heading into next year unless Rhule wants to deliberately turn up the heat on himself

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

You're spot on for the qbs- it'll do very little for the QBs.  Perhaps chubba could've benefited given he was relegated to 3rd string/scout team qb given his groin injury.  

I actually think bowl prep would have been huge for Chubba.  He would have been QB1 and getting a ton of reps and coaching.  He didn't get before.

But...he won't be getting it now either.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I actually think bowl prep would have been huge for Chubba.  He would have been QB1 and getting a ton of reps and coaching.  He didn't get before.

But...he won't be getting it now either.

I don't disagree- there is no replacement for actual game prep and subsequent practices.  Perhaps I'm just so beatdown and broken over our qb play all year that im deliberately ignoring the qb room and looking at other players/position groups I wanted to see some game action from if we were to have reached bowl status lol