Some SI predictions

I am going to the UCLA game, but I like Bo. I went to the USC game and I didn't like Bill C. I don't go to see the coaches so much, as I go to see my fav team play.

I do not go to one of my kids birthday parties, because I don't like one of their spouses family members. I go for them.

skersfan, its to bad you and yours feel that way. We seem to have been part of the Big Red family, for about the same length of time. We would love for T.O to still be running the program, but I think Tom feels Bo will be the right man for this program in the long run. I think he sees something that we can't see, from outside the inner workings of the program.

There are UofA fans here in Tucson, that have told me they dropped their season tickets, because they don't like Rich-Rod, and he hasn't even coached a game yet. That doesn't hurt any thing but the Univ. Here's hoping some day you might put the univ first again. Any way enjoy the season.

GBR!!!

I think skersfan has explained before that he and his wife have met Bo, but I won't say any more for him in case I start spouting off inaccuracies.

Discussing each others' predictions and expectations for the team is probably one of the most common pastimes of fandom. It is common to pass off unfair pessimism under the guise of realism. Easy to fall into that trap and there's no problem calling out his opinions as such. Just a reminder that there's never a need to make it personal -- the post that did has since been removed.

I will say this for skers, however. He has been a dedicated Husker and member of this site for a long, long time, and he brings a perspective that is different, but valued. He can't stay away from us, so he clearly cares a lot about Nebraska football. But he can't shake his feelings of disappointment, either (some of which are personal, and most of us will not understand no matter how many times he tries to explain it). For all he's invested into his Husker fandom, cut the man some slack if he's weary about the program's direction and doesn't feel like going to a game. Hopefully a resurgence this year will change his mind about Bo. But calling this place a hell hole really hurts, skers. :( Tone down your rhetoric, and you might get a better reception.

Back to this whipping out of dictionary.com definitions, though. Can you think of no despised figure that would cause you a somewhat similar internal conflict, if he were to assume the role of Huskers Head Coach & face of the program?

I don't 'skers story about meeting Pelini but it must not have turned out like he was hoping from reading his posts. I have personally met Bo and Carl while at a pee-wee football game and enjoyed a good conversation with them. My wife and I sat next to them and talked the whole time while the game was going on. It gave me a different perspective of Bo then what I previously had of him which wasn't very good because of his sideline antics.

I think skersfan has explained before that he and his wife have met Bo, but I won't say any more for him in case I start spouting off inaccuracies.

Discussing each others' predictions and expectations for the team is probably one of the most common pastimes of fandom. It is common to pass off unfair pessimism under the guise of realism. Easy to fall into that trap and there's no problem calling out his opinions as such. Just a reminder that there's never a need to make it personal -- the post that did has since been removed.

I will say this for skers, however. He has been a dedicated Husker and member of this site for a long, long time, and he brings a perspective that is different, but valued. He can't stay away from us, so he clearly cares a lot about Nebraska football. But he can't shake his feelings of disappointment, either (some of which are personal, and most of us will not understand no matter how many times he tries to explain it). For all he's invested into his Husker fandom, cut the man some slack if he's weary about the program's direction and doesn't feel like going to a game. Hopefully a resurgence this year will change his mind about Bo. But calling this place a hell hole really hurts, skers. :( Tone down your rhetoric, and you might get a better reception.

Back to this whipping out of dictionary.com definitions, though. Can you think of no despised figure that would cause you a somewhat similar internal conflict, if he were to assume the role of Huskers Head Coach & face of the program?

Wait, so if Hitler were put in charge, would I still root for the team? IMO, it's the same thing as people who put those "He's not my President" bumper stickers on their cars... They're idiots.

I've never met Bo, and haven't spent the time required to make a good judgement of his character. But, I have talked to a handful of players who played under him, and all of them had nothing but good things to say about him, and said they'd do anything for him. Were they going to tell me any dirty little secrets? No. But you can tell when someone is being polite, and being honest. I'm going to go the opinion of guys who spent more time in one day with Bo than someone who ignores facts and blindly sticks to their opinion.

I don't either. Maybe a few years ago I would have disagreed, but I'm past the point of caring if we come out flat and have a sucky season. I mean, it's football. Bad seasons happen. Life goes on. I suppose that does make me one of those younger fans who have resigned themselves to mediocrity, but really.......I don't take that as an insult. I want the best for this team, but I'm not that invested to take it personally if things go wrong. I suppose in my case, I'm far removed from my (brief) time in Lincoln and (also brief) time of paying attention to Nebraska football back when we were kings of the world...and I suppose my position is going to be atypical of Husker fans, especially those that were around through much of the Osborne era.

I still get very frustrated after a loss. Just ask my wife. She doesn't want to be around me the rest of the day.

BUT...get over it. Look for positive things that are happening. Look at the young talent we have on this team. Look at extenuating circumstances that have happened around the program like the two year process of switching conferences. He mentioned his frustration with smaller LBs. When those LBs were recruited, we were in the Big XII. Switching conferences caused us to need bigger LBs. This isn't the NFL where we can just go out and find free agents. It is going to take a couple years to get those LBs that are perfect for the Big X. That's just an example.

Everyone gets frustrated after losses. It's sad when someone can't find ANYTHING enjoyable about the program.

One more example and I'll stop. I was at the OSU game last year. I was sitting by this guy who started complaining right from the start. Admittedly, we didn't start the game off too great. BUT, in the second half when we were coming back and we had all the momentum, TM hit a key pass across the middle for an important first down. Instead of cheering and being excited, this guy sat there and complained that TM threw behind the receiver. It was so slightly that the receiver didn't even hardly have to slow down for the ball.

This guy couldn't even enjoy the biggest come back in school history because TM threw behind a receiver (on a key completion). Ridiculous.!!!!!

That's not a true fan. A true fan roots for the team regardless of who is in charge.

I disagree with this. If you were to have an extremely low opinion of the character of the guy leading the program (one formed, if I recall, from personal encounters), could you cheer with the same gusto, or are you going to end up at the same arm's length distance skersfan is? I don't see any reason we ought to be questioning his fandom, or his relationship with his wife...

A general observation: if you do not agree with someone else's opinion, that's OK. But if you can't deal with it, step away until you can.

As for the topic of the original post...I can sort of see where Rubin is coming from, with the caveat that I'm not sure I agree that this conference is on the rise. That's a bit of an x-factor, I think. It's constantly in flux. Michigan State and Wisconsin have some new quarterbacks to break in, don't they? So that could be a chance that we seize.

How about we end the 'who's a real fan' talk, yeah?

+1 to Addison's post, aside from some formatting issues in the middle ;)

LOL thanks Zoogs! There might be some insight somewhere in there! But need to cypher through it haha...Even I laughed at my jibber jabber this morning :lol:

I don't either. Maybe a few years ago I would have disagreed, but I'm past the point of caring if we come out flat and have a sucky season. I mean, it's football. Bad seasons happen. Life goes on. I suppose that does make me one of those younger fans who have resigned themselves to mediocrity, but really.......I don't take that as an insult. I want the best for this team, but I'm not that invested to take it personally if things go wrong. I suppose in my case, I'm far removed from my (brief) time in Lincoln and (also brief) time of paying attention to Nebraska football back when we were kings of the world...and I suppose my position is going to be atypical of Husker fans, especially those that were around through much of the Osborne era.

I still get very frustrated after a loss. Just ask my wife. She doesn't want to be around me the rest of the day.

BUT...get over it. Look for positive things that are happening. Look at the young talent we have on this team. Look at extenuating circumstances that have happened around the program like the two year process of switching conferences. He mentioned his frustration with smaller LBs. When those LBs were recruited, we were in the Big XII. Switching conferences caused us to need bigger LBs. This isn't the NFL where we can just go out and find free agents. It is going to take a couple years to get those LBs that are perfect for the Big X. That's just an example.

Everyone gets frustrated after losses. It's sad when someone can't find ANYTHING enjoyable about the program.

One more example and I'll stop. I was at the OSU game last year. I was sitting by this guy who started complaining right from the start. Admittedly, we didn't start the game off too great. BUT, in the second half when we were coming back and we had all the momentum, TM hit a key pass across the middle for an important first down. Instead of cheering and being excited, this guy sat there and complained that TM threw behind the receiver. It was so slightly that the receiver didn't even hardly have to slow down for the ball.

This guy couldn't even enjoy the biggest come back in school history because TM threw behind a receiver (on a key completion). Ridiculous.!!!!!

BRB, man that is just ughhhhh....would drive me nuts! I know some of those folks...they can have pancake bunny for all I care :moreinteresting

One season in the late 1970s I had tickets next to a 70 year old woman who came by herself to the games, and when Nebraska threw a first quarter interception in the first home game of the season she threw up her hands and said "well there goes the Oranage Bowl!" And she was like that all season.

I'm pretty sure we went to the Orange Bowl that year.

No. 24 Boise State at No. 13 Michigan State

Boise's ultra-diverse offense will prevent William Gholston, Marcus Rush and the rest of Michigan State's loaded defense from teeing off on new quarterback Joe Southwick. The problem is on the other side: A powerful Spartans rushing attack will be too much for the Broncos' green defensive line to handle, creating play-action opportunities for new starter Andrew Maxwell

http://sportsillustr...p&sct=hp_t11_a0

What is with everyone thinking that MSU is going to have this dominant rushing attack? Did I miss a transfer, or a 5* recruit? Is it the brand new offensive line with little experience that's going to be better (EDIT: I see they actually return 4 of 5 on the line)? Or the proven passing attack of this new QB? I just can't figure it out. They had the 78th ranked rushing offense last year.

The did convert last years starting fullback - Bell (6-2, 244) to a Tailback. We'll see how that goes. That's a couple big boys in the backfield.

In honsety we have been a flop team.

Look back at most of the predictions from the last four years on this board.

We have never come close to what most predicted.

We have average coaching at best. We may have reached its highest level, consistant 4 losses. Not bad, but not where most want this program to be by any means.

I see us going 9-4 at best, but feel it may be a lot worse this year.

This may be kind of late, but I don't think you can't take expectations from this board and use that as a judgment for how the team finishes. I'm assured that most of our predictions are subject to a little bias.

I'd say we under-performed last season. But definitely not 2010...maybe 2009, and we more than over achieved in 08.

Trust me Saunders, I have a far closer relationship with this program than you could ever imagine. I have been farther away from since the hiring of Bo.

My marriage is far more important than Nebraska football and has been for over 43 years.

I am married to one of the most intelligent women I have ever met, heart of gold and a great judge of character. Her thoughts run much higher than some football fan.

I wish the team luck this year and the years to follow. I wish Coach Pelini luck, and many years of success.

Enjoy the season.

Come on skers, your wife doesn't read these posts. You shouldn't have to defend her here. What you think should be what YOU think not the thoughts of your wife. If you don't like Bo Pelini, then that's your prerogative. But as much as you respect the opinion of your wife, if you disagree with it, DISAGREE WITH IT. I'm sure she won't up and leave you. If she does, then that's petty.

I guess I don't understand where the idea that Bo drives away top recruits and then drives them away once they get here viewpoint comes from. He's getting better in his temper, but there's nothing wrong with a little fire. Wouldn't you be more concerned if his demeanor is flat on the sideline? Who would want to play for a coach that wasn't animated? We start winning games, we'll see how much recruits want to come here.

You know, skersfan, you and your wife are two entirely different human beings. If she doesn't like Pelini then she can fuss about it the rest of her life, or until he leaves. Even if you don't like Pelini, are you really going to let her impressions of him (and your passive aggressive ones) prevent you from going to a game, especially when it's a game we're likely to win?

That just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously your marriage is more important than football, but it's FOOTBALL. It's sport. It's gamesmanship. It's recreational. It's fun. It's pretty trivial if you think about it. So, why not just say "ef it", and go? I doubt your marriage will spontaneously implode and set the world afire if you go.

Wouldnt that be something....

Boise's ultra-diverse offense will prevent William Gholston, Marcus Rush and the rest of Michigan State's loaded defense from teeing off on new quarterback Joe Southwick. The problem is on the other side: A powerful Spartans rushing attack will be too much for the Broncos' green defensive line to handle, creating play-action opportunities for new starter Andrew Maxwell

What is with everyone thinking that MSU is going to have this dominant rushing attack? Did I miss a transfer, or a 5* recruit? Is it the brand new offensive line with little experience that's going to be better (EDIT: I see they actually return 4 of 5 on the line)? Or the proven passing attack of this new QB? I just can't figure it out. They had the 78th ranked rushing offense last year.

The did convert last years starting fullback - Bell (6-2, 244) to a Tailback. We'll see how that goes. That's a couple big boys in the backfield.

I think the Bell experiment is going to work out quite well for Meechicken Lite. Too bad he doesn't have a better O-line to pave the way. As for Gholston ad company, I think SI is dead wrong. Those guys are going to Tee-off on Boise. Their D-line will disrupt the Bronco attack. I don't think the Broncos all-world offense is going to rack up big points on the Spartys. /jmho

/In case it's not patently obvious I am trying to change the conversation from the cagefight of skersfan and wife vs. the world. It's football time! :lol:

I started a thread on it, because I find it kinda crazy. They were barely better than Iowa, and they have the AIRBHG curse....

Reading what is said and what is implied may be the problem.

No I do not like Pelini, but have said hundreds of times I do not want him fired. Nothing good could come of it. He is what we have and he needs to do the job he was hired to do.

Yes my wife hates the man, feels he is the worst possible head coach we could have. Feels he drives away top recruits and runs them off from inside the program. Not sure where I am on this.

Strong enough that we are not going to the UCLA game, she refuses to endorse anything he does. Will not support the program until he is gone. This will be the first game I have missed in California since moving here 35 years ago.

I said we would not do as well as some stating we would dominate the Big 10. Try reading the posts. I know if it is not all sunshine you guys only see what you want to see, evident in the above posts.

I stay away from this sunshine pumping hole most of the time anymore, as it is on the side of sickening to listen to the swallow anything group as long as it is positive. We have major problems, wake up and smell the coffee. In honesty this site has made me lose a lot of interest in the program.

As far as I told you so, that was not my intent. Most on here suggested we would be in MNC level with in the first couple of years, would desimate the Big 10 last year with our speed. I made note of small line backers not matching up. I mentioned the regular game we would lose that we should not.

I will state again, I do not want Pelini fired, removed or gone. This program can not stand that. We are on the edge of being and after thought now, another 5 year experiment would not do us any good.

I want him to do the job he was hired for and to accomplish his stated mission, win championships. When he does, those things he will quit being a flop in the eyes of the media.

So go ahead and keep swallowing the slop that flows readily on this board. Which I used to feel was the best board as opinions were accepted, unfortunately that has changed and if you are not in quick step with the group you are an anti fan.

Fortunately for me, my life does not revolve around an internet board as some on here seem to. I love Nebraska Football and always will, but I see it for what it is, not what some dreaming group think it is.

I'm not sure what the qualifications are for, "arbiter of all things Husker football", but all I've seen is somebody looking down from a high horse. It shows that very little thought was put into the previous post when such words are so carelessly thrown around. And as for this fan base, "swallowing the slop that flows readily from this board", I'm sure we'll do fine with out you.

Spare me, and the rest of us, from the elitist, self righteous drivel that has been spouted throughout the previous parts of this thread...