Braylon Heard Transferring...

Something is not right here, folks! Seasoned two year RB with knowledge of the "system?" Some strange goings on in my opinion. Heard was Pelini's golden boy when he was recruited. Over 6 yds/carry this past year. Something smells like a three day old fish in a garbage can on a hot day in July.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that it does not smell that bad.

Something is not right here, folks! Seasoned two year RB with knowledge of the "system?" Some strange goings on in my opinion. Heard was Pelini's golden boy when he was recruited. Over 6 yds/carry this past year. Something smells like a three day old fish in a garbage can on a hot day in July.

How do you figure? Freshman year, we switch his position to defense, then moved him back. Last season, it was all about Burkhead and Ameer. Burkhead gets injured, Ameer becomes a solo star. Then Heard becomes injured, and Cross becomes a bigger name while getting more gets more carries. NOW, we recruit two heavy studs, Adams and Newby, while at the same time, the kid is possibly being asked to switch back to defense.

The only thing I see close to being "fishy", is Nebraska being filled with depth at the RB position and its going to be hard for kids to get a decent amount of carries. Heard leaving now was a smart thing, and I don't blame him. He has the talent to be a starter and the 2014 season will be his time to shine with whatever school he decides to go to.

I am completely saddened with Heard leaving, but I had to think about things and if I was in his shoes.

• Fire 1
Brown is great at developing these guys. He's pitiful at making more than one at a time contribute meaningfully. Out of three capable, talented backs--Abdullah, Heard, and Green--we've managed to keep one of them.

At the risk of possibly misrepresenting your point, it sounds like you're suggesting that Ron Brown's secondary (if not primary) job is to stroke the egos of these recruits. Because is it really his fault if they willfully leave? This isn't any kind of slam against Braylon, this is just a real question.

He's the coach. They're his players. They're subordinate to him and what he feels is best.

And before too much conjecture gets thrown out as to his abilities in that department, let's keep in mind where we ranked on the rushing big board. It was really, really high.

I totally agree. I just wanted to point out that I think it is really important that we bring in mentally tough kids under coach Brown. That is the way he is going to coach them and it just seems that AG and BH just didn't fit that profile. On the other hand Rex, Ameer, and Imani seem to be the epitome of it. And i have no doubts about Adam Taylor from all of the comments about him, the way he came back from injury, his interviews, etc. I don't know enough about Newby to even speculate.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that it does not smell that bad.

Smells more like Marrow left a bag o sh#t on NU's door step and setzzz it on fire!!! Sneaky....sneaky....

Loved B Heards running style! So fluid and instinctive! His running style conjures up the beauty of Ken Griffey jrs swing! Gonna be missed, was looking forward to him killin it next year.

Agreed couldn't have said it better myself. +1

I think he is a fine RB, but am I the only one who thought he ran to upright? Also, he was incredibly fast, but I didn't notice must ability to be elusive.

He is gonna be good, but give me Abdullah every day of the week....

I agree on his running style. He's cut and go, but if there is contact or a need for a little wiggle, he lacks a bit... He's good, but IMO he's not going to beat out Abdullah.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Heard running style reminds me of Eric Dickersons style. Not saying he will/would be the next Dickerson, but stating that, that style served Dickerson well for years. I believe he still holds the NFL rushing record for a season.

IMHO, Heard was/is the best back on our team.

I don't see how you can make that claim with as little as we got too see of him, or even after watching Abdullah....

You know he signed on to be part of the Husker family, now if he leaves, he leaves friends and teamates hanging. I say you start something, you finish, always been my moto. If he leaves next man up. If all this is hog wash great he stays. Nebraska does not, should not depend on one player being the only thing to get us through. If he is, we have a lot more problems than one 20 year old leaving. No hatered, or so sad he is leaving. Most that leave, quit a team. They very seldom do anything at their next stop. I know Cody at Tulsa, but he was not much of the offense.

We have 7 pages basically begging a kid to stay. If he wants to be gone, get your crap and leave. Do not waltz the team and the staff through spring ball and then pull up your panties and leave. Be a man of your word, if you are then leave now, quit wasting important time.

Some more about Heard's reasoning from an Ohio newspaper interview with his High School coach:

Heard says he will leave Nebraska football program

When Nebraska’s coaches asked Braylon Heard to change positions for the third time in three years, Heard decided it was time to change schools instead.

Rather than move to wide receiver, Heard, a former All-Ohio running back at Cardinal Mooney, will finish this semester in Lincoln, then transfer to a school to be determined, one of his high school coaches, Chris Amill, confirmed Tuesday.

“He’s tired of being moved around so much,” said Amill, who has been close to Heard for years. “He just wants a shot to play running back.”

After the season, Heard met with offensive coordinator Tim Beck (a Mooney graduate) and running backs coach Ron Brown, who asked him to move to receiver, Amill said. Heard then called head coach Bo Pelini to inform him of his plans to transfer, Amill said. That contradicts a report in the Lincoln Journal Star; Pelini told the newspaper that neither Heard nor anyone else told him of the running back’s plans to transfer.

“They had an idea it was coming,” Amill said. “Maybe he was hoping that when some time passed, Braylon would change his mind.

“Braylon was really debating what he wanted to do, but at the end of the day, he felt like it was time to go. He’s kind of down about it because he felt like they stuck with him when he was struggling [to qualify academically]. He loves the fans there and the relationships he’s built with his teammates, so it was hard for him to walk away.”

Heard, who did not respond to requests for comment, is the second Mooney player to spurn the Cornhuskers this week. On Monday, Cardinals senior Marcus McWilson changed his verbal commitment from NU to Kentucky.

“I think that’s a coincidence,” Amill said. “With Marcus, it came down to distance, so it’s easy on his parents to go to games.”

Some more about Heard's reasoning from an Ohio newspaper interview with his High School coach:

Heard says he will leave Nebraska football program

When Nebraska’s coaches asked Braylon Heard to change positions for the third time in three years, Heard decided it was time to change schools instead.

Rather than move to wide receiver, Heard, a former All-Ohio running back at Cardinal Mooney, will finish this semester in Lincoln, then transfer to a school to be determined, one of his high school coaches, Chris Amill, confirmed Tuesday.

“He’s tired of being moved around so much,” said Amill, who has been close to Heard for years. “He just wants a shot to play running back.”

After the season, Heard met with offensive coordinator Tim Beck (a Mooney graduate) and running backs coach Ron Brown, who asked him to move to receiver, Amill said. Heard then called head coach Bo Pelini to inform him of his plans to transfer, Amill said. That contradicts a report in the Lincoln Journal Star; Pelini told the newspaper that neither Heard nor anyone else told him of the running back’s plans to transfer.

“They had an idea it was coming,” Amill said. “Maybe he was hoping that when some time passed, Braylon would change his mind.

“Braylon was really debating what he wanted to do, but at the end of the day, he felt like it was time to go. He’s kind of down about it because he felt like they stuck with him when he was struggling [to qualify academically]. He loves the fans there and the relationships he’s built with his teammates, so it was hard for him to walk away.”

Heard, who did not respond to requests for comment, is the second Mooney player to spurn the Cornhuskers this week. On Monday, Cardinals senior Marcus McWilson changed his verbal commitment from NU to Kentucky.

“I think that’s a coincidence,” Amill said. “With Marcus, it came down to distance, so it’s easy on his parents to go to games.”

Not saying there isn't some truth somewhere in the article. But it raises a few questions about Heard's high school coach's point of view. If Braylon knew at the end of the season (first week in January) why did he start another semester of classes, and continue to train with the team? And if NU coaches knew about this, why on earth are they so taken aback? I trust Damon Benning, he is proving to be very objective on the radio, and he told listeners about his conversation with Ron Brown EARLY Monday morning, and Damon said that Ron Brown was "at a loss for words" from the story. Brown is Heard's position coach!

I'm holding out hope Braylon is just "thinking" about it, but some Spring ball will change his mind. If not, good luck to Mr. Heard.

I didnt wade through the 7 pages of meltdown and whatnot, but here is my two cents...We have capable RBs.....But this hurts quite a bit....Especially losing kids to Kentucky....When you would rather play on a team where V. Marrow is coaching over a Nebraska team with Bo Pelini, it speaks volumes IMO.....I am not a Bo hater, but this does have me worried.....

Why the hell would they ask him to move again? Ridiculous, he's a very capable running back and we have great receivers so there was no reason to move him.

Like has been stated multiple times in this thread, we were trying to utilize him & Ameer like Oregon uses De'Anthony Thomas & Kenjon Barner. We want to get him the ball!

Obviously, the coaches must feel that Ameer is the better overall RB. If he wants to go somewhere else to be "the guy," so be it.

De'Anthony Thomas

• 90 carries for 700 yards and 11 TD
  • 45 receptions for 445 yards and 5 TD

If he doesn't want those numbers and to be part of a team, there's the door.