***** What did we learn - Rutgers Edition *****

The absolute ceiling for this team is finishing runner up in the CCG.

Or not even make it. Wisconsin and Iowa/Minny will knock us off.

This is not about us not being happy over a blowout. It's about seeing us time and time again do things during the game, that while fine against Rutgers, FAU, Illinois, etc, comes back to bite us in the ass against good teams. Ala Michigan St piss pounding us for 3 quarters. Tim Beck and his plan to literally waste 2-3 possessions per half is going to lose us some imprortant games yet this season. The guy can take a hike. Papuchis can do a better job of sticking to whats working by calling plays based on flipping a one-sided coin.

Now for the good. Our defense is pretty good. Not perfect, but good. And in this day and age of offensive football, that'll get you places. It's HARD to play defense these days. But I saw a lot of things that are encouraging. Guys getting better and better at what we're doing.

Offensive line I thought did much better. Appears the fire under their ass was lit.

Ameer. LOL.

In the words of my wifes cousin, I would let Gerry have access to me. LOL

But at the end of the day......

CONSISTENCY CONSITENCY CONSISTENCY.

Thank you. How can any fan be completely satisfied with this win?

Agreed. Guys it was Rutgers. How many points did we leave in the field.

Beck and his stubbornness will cost us 1-2 more games. If he played to the strengths of the team i.e. power running, zone read and option and a vertical passing game we will win out. If not..........

Watching AA and then Cross and Newby shows a large gap. AA plants that cut foot and is gone. No hesitation, no fear and only one gear. One really doesn't realize his ability until he is out of the game. He should be in the top 4 hypes man talk. Gordon is good, BUT he is the only O Wisky has.....

The D played well. Needs more consistency. Mistakes were few, but when they made them, things went big.

Special teams is light years ahead of last. A blocked PAT, PR etc....

We need another receiver to step up. Glad we have Westy back, but no one impresses yet IMO.

Really, Really, Really miss SJB. Playing press coverage, we need DB's capable of pressing at the line and getting the receiver into the ground our out of bounds.

Need to really evaluate our OL starters.

TA's vertical game is on. Side to side, not so much (better today)

TA did step up in the pocket. He must have read Mavric's thread.

We have the talent and athleticism. Only thing holding us back is coaching.

Bo doing a much better job.

Zaire was all over. He and Cockrell are quietly putting together a great year.

Imagine a D with Rose, Alexander, Moss and Jackson.....

I just get the feeling some of you forget they have another week to prepare, to get kinks worked out. One performance today doesn't mean the same performance will occur next week. A week from today 17 seasons ago. #1 Nebraska went to Missouri and needed a miracle to win. Did that performance have a negative effect on the rest of the year?

I am with some of you about the snap/clap count bs. We need to go back to regular cadence in my opinion.

NO.

Lol. Why?

Sparty game. The D could predict when we were going to hike the ball. If they can figure it out anyone can.

Because of the clapping. It's not hard to figure out that when we "fake clap" we over exaggerate it. Then clap like a normal person to actually snap it. What is more obvious to figure out. Visuals or Audio? I know the answer. Do you?

Regular cadence, and be disciplined to hold in. Alex Lewis would probably struggle with that though. :D

I still wonder why i can watch numerous other teams: clap silent count ball comes, next play touch the ground ball comes, clap ball comes right away, clap once then again and ball comes, etc, they mix it up. The O-line moves when they need to, the snap is good the QB is ready...

Mike'l Severe made a great point about today's game that I have been thinking about too. People want to complain about the team they root for, but we don't want to give credit to the other team.

Rutgers is a decent team. They have athletes and good players. It's not like NU is going against air out there.

I don't disagree with this, but where I do see cause for concern is when you juxtapose the eye test and outcome of our game against Rutgers versus OSU's game against Rutgers. Previously, I couldn't necessarily see an objective argument as to why OSU should necessarily be ranked higher than us. Now, after seeing OSU look pretty systematic in physically dominating RU, then RU has to go right back out on the road, halfway across the country, theoretically, they should be less competitive this week than they were the last (assuming were basically as good as OSU), where one would expect a similar if not worse beating, I can subjectively understand why OSU is ranked higher. I don't think were any less talented that many of the teams ranked ahead of us, but its easy to see why we lose the "eye test" battle. I don't understand how anyone can look back at today's win, and really, throughout the Pelini era, and believe we play disciplined, sound football to a level required to achieve the over-all results we'd all like to see.

Great point. And when it comes to the polls, it is subjective. Like a beauty contest as one announcer said today. When comparing teams, folks are looking at things other than the score. Why is a one loss team in KSU rated so high? The manner in which they have one and loss. ND, Auburn, NU........How one plays is almost as important as the W-L record.

We only won by 18 which isn't good enough because of that time we didn't score and those fumbles and because we didn't stop them every time they had the ball and that quarterback we had pretty much no film on did stuff we hadn't prepared for and even though there's almost no way to prepare for a quarterback you have no film on we should have stopped everything he tried to do and Beck didn't score a touchdown on every drive and we missed a field goal and Ameer is really good and Kenny Bell is really good but I'm really pretty angry because we should have beaten this team worse even though before today I really had no idea what Rutgers football was like and I haven't watched more than ten minutes of any of their games in the past three years but despite that i have a really good handle on what should have happened today and this wasn't it because I don't feel like it was the kind of win I should be happy with which is a domination from start to finish and you never let up like not even on those drives at the end of the game where we had a four score lead but we let them score again and that should never happen and did I mention that we held their quarterback who was really good and completing 62% of his passes to 42% and a TD and an INT but that's not good enough because we busted a coverage on that one play and then we sacked him a couple times and he got hurt and when that other guy came in he did things and he wasn't crap like I expected him to be so I felt like we played really bad even though we won by 18 points.

I love you knapp. :D (No homo of course)

From Bo's postgame presser (available on the front page)...

On Josh Mitchell's lateral: "I think he lost his mind. Almost made me lose my mind." :lol:

Bo's 100% in how he's handling his press conferences and setting the tone and putting the right message out there so far this season. It's great to see and almost a little hard to believe, ha!

• Fire 6

Whatever. We are 7-1, with a good chance of getting to 8-1 next week before the bye week.

Don't think we were going to learn too much, unless we lost--which seems to be the mood of some.

I think it's amusing, the fans that tell other fans they can't be satisfied or unsatisfied. I'll be any damn thing I want to be. And overall today I am satisfied. Why? Because we won and showed plenty bright spots throughout the game. My feeling this way is a direct result of having lowered my expectations after (during) the MSU game. My gut tells me this team will screw up 1 or 2 more games this regular season, so from here on out, every win is reason to be happy. To tell the truth, I'd rather be expecting excellence but I think that is too much to ask of this staff. They are at the top of their ability eeking out wins against unranked teams. The pumpers have convinced me, expecting more is unreasonable.

So are you thinking for yourself and being who you want to be or are you letting people convince you? I'm confused?
You're confused? How do you think I feel? I'm supposed to be happy because we beat a terrible Rutgers team even though I saw all kinds of crap from our team that would get their ass beat by any team with a pulse. It is confusing because I have to basically lie to my common sense to think this team is going anywhere and there are people who are adamant about standing up for the mediocrity. I think I've just given up. I can't give enough squirts to even get riled up about it anymore.

So mediocrity is 7-1? Mediocrity is being #16?

Forget past seasons. This season is the only thing that matters, and in case you haven't been watching, we're doing pretty good this season. Sure, there's issues that need to get fixed, but name a team that doesn't have issues. No team will ever play perfect football; the trick is to do more good than bad, and we've done that this year. To the point where we about overcame a 24 point 4th quarter deficit against the current #8 team in the country.

Guess what, #1 Mississippi State is struggling against Kentucky? Do they not deserve to be #1?

It sucks that you can't find it in you to give two squirts. Being a fan is supposed to be fun.

• Fire 1

Tim Beck and his plan to literally waste 2-3 possessions per half is going to lose us some imprortant games yet this season. The guy can take a hike.

I'd like to know what 2-3 possessions each half Beck wasted today.

I would like to know that as well. I admit that I am usually very critical of beck, but he called a pretty good game today. Give credit where credit is due

Beck hatred is hilarious.

Ameer is unbelievable.

DPL has me on edge of seat every punt.

Accurate for me too. I'll add:

The overreaction of some is beyond laughable.

Our D is really good. 1 broken play, 1 short field and 1 series with the backups.

Some just want to run Ameer 30 times in games like this, but it is a nice time to get live reps for the rest of the Offense where we lean on other guys for some plays.

I prefer to be aggressive and surrender a couple long TDs as opposed to the bend but not break style.

• Fire 1

Mike'l Severe made a great point about today's game that I have been thinking about too. People want to complain about the team they root for, but we don't want to give credit to the other team.

Rutgers is a decent team. They have athletes and good players. It's not like NU is going against air out there.

I don't disagree with this, but where I do see cause for concern is when you juxtapose the eye test and outcome of our game against Rutgers versus OSU's game against Rutgers. Previously, I couldn't necessarily see an objective argument as to why OSU should necessarily be ranked higher than us. Now, after seeing OSU look pretty systematic in physically dominating RU, then RU has to go right back out on the road, halfway across the country, theoretically, they should be less competitive this week than they were the last (assuming were basically as good as OSU), where one would expect a similar if not worse beating, I can subjectively understand why OSU is ranked higher. I don't think were any less talented that many of the teams ranked ahead of us, but its easy to see why we lose the "eye test" battle. I don't understand how anyone can look back at today's win, and really, throughout the Pelini era, and believe we play disciplined, sound football to a level required to achieve the over-all results we'd all like to see.

We allowed 7 more points to Rutgers than OSU did and beat them by 3 scores. Did we have some rough spots, yes. But we won. Let's worry about OSU if/when we play them. I think it's crazy this board was more optimistic after the MSU loss than after today's win.

I sometimes just don't get this board.

• Fire 2

Beck hatred is hilarious.

Ameer is unbelievable.

DPL has me on edge of seat every punt.

Add up how many times he's been given a short field and come away with 0 points, then tell me how hilarious it is.

Beck likes to throw deep the first play after a turnover. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is 2nd and 10. I prefer to pound the ball with a short field.