***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

I posted this in my status update, but guy that I teach with said that he has heard it's going to be David Shaw. He claims that it is from a very reliable source, but I just don't know what to believe right now.

If it is...we're in trouble. He's good for a blow out loss (3 of them since he's been there). Plus, here's his record at Standford:

2011 - 11-2

2012 - 12-2

2013 - 11-3

2014 - 7-5

That's the wrong direction folks...his fourth year in means he's getting HIS recruits in and that they're not doing well enough to compete. I'd have to say that if we get him we're sunk....it will be one of the worst hires ever.

We would give a left nut for half the recruits that Shaw has gotten. He has 3 5* players on the Oline that he recruited and one of them was thought to be a sure lock for us. The QB's play is why they are 7-5 right now.

Man, I like Shaw. Don't say something like that (shutters when thinking about QB development at Nebraska).

If it is...we're in trouble. He's good for a blow out loss (3 of them since he's been there). Plus, here's his record at Standford:

2011 - 11-2

2012 - 12-2

2013 - 11-3

2014 - 7-5

That's the wrong direction folks...his fourth year in means he's getting HIS recruits in and that they're not doing well enough to compete. I'd have to say that if we get him we're sunk....it will be one of the worst hires ever.

Worst hires in history? of what? Nebraska? Were you around for 2004-2007?

Also, the dude has won two Pac 12 Championships in a conference where he plays Oregon every single year. Could you imagine what it would be like to play Oregon every year, AND this was the year Mariota finally beat Stanford? C'mon... Although, I worry about the off year, he has solidly been my number 1 pick.

I've only met Eichorst once, but I fully back the media's assessment that SE is a measured and calculated person. He comes across as someone who thinks five steps ahead of present moment. It would not surprise me one bit that SE has done a complete evaluation of the football program, starting at the end of the Iowa game last year. And, along with that evaluation, he has concluded whom he thinks is the right person to take Nebraska to the next level, while also curing the dysfuction that has plagued the football program. Who knows which coach he picked, and if that pick will be successful, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has had his mind made up for quite some time. I know alot of us are still scarred from the Pedersen/Callahan hiring debacle. Give this guy a chance, and appreciate that he wants Nebraska to be great again. There is no Plan B to worry about, because Plan A is a done deal.

I agree.

I don't understand why everyone is upset or scared of what Eichorst is doing. Before Bo was fired and he hadn't made any statements, there were people all pissed off at Eichorst before even seeing what he was going to do. Well.....he did what those people wanted ultimately.

Let's sit back and enjoy the excitement of who a new coach might be. Enjoy the process instead of jumping to conclusions and convince yourselves that you're already going to be disappointed and upset at who ever it is.

I'm on par with these guys. Big picture could have been - we still have Bo and his staff, running things the same way, with the same issues and problems. And a lifeless, apathetic fan base. At least partially.

I'm ready for this change. Shaw would be great. Same with Frost. Same with Tressel. Whoever it is will need to put together a good supporting cast around them. I read something said by a coach that said "you cannot have one bad assistant on your team". And I liked hearing that. I think top assistants will be a major key with whoever is the CEO/HC.

Don't get the Shaw hate from some.

Power running game from I formation. Lots of TE usage and lead blocking. Great defense. This would be awful for Nebraska.

Seems legit.

Dreaming here but... with the earlier quotes from Frost about wanting to have a more physical version of Oregon's offense can we have Shaw with Frost as OC?

Why do people automatically assume that Frost would keep the same offense if he came here?

I'd like to think that a competent coach would be able to adjust their offensive style to the players that we have on the roster - something that hasn't been done very well during the last 7 years. I highly doubt in year 1, 2 or even 3 it would look much like Oregon's - though maybe that is the direction it transitions to.

every new coach wants to build his scheme right away and recruit and coach the current players to fit his system....that can cause some problems, until he gets the right personnel for his system.

Don't get the Shaw hate from some.

Power running game from I formation. Lots of TE usage and lead blocking. Great defense. This would be awful for Nebraska.

Seems legit.

Not hate...he's only been a HC since 2011 and hasn't done well with his own recruits yet in year 4 of his program. I'm just pointing out his record since he's been there.

As for recruits....Brady Hoke was a great recruiter...and we all know what he put on the field.

I'm not saying Shaw is the worst (BC was that for us) but I am going to say I think there are better hires than him.

Not sure on how I feel about Shaw. But you bring up a great point, Stanford has slipped a bit now that Harbaugh's recruits are graduating/getting drafted. That being said, Shaw's offensive philosophy and smash mouth/power football would be great to see again.

I just don't see Shaw bouncing from Stanford, he has way too many ties in CA and potential NFL interest for him to make a lateral move to a school he has no ties with previously

every new coach wants to build his scheme right away and recruit and coach the current players to fit his system....that can cause some problems, until he gets the right personnel for his system.

every new coach wants to, every good coach has pause. you can't ask Dailey to throw the ball 35 times and be successful. i'm guessing we won't have a very clear picture of our offensive direction for a few years no matter who we bring in. After 7 we still didn't have it under Bo.

Funny that Dan Mullen is trending now, because doing some research he is the name that floated like cream to the top of what I was hoping for. Some points:
A move for the family from Starkville to Lincoln is a huge upgrade. You can't say that about some places.

He was the 12th highest paid coach in the SEC this past year. Silence from Mississippi State about a raise or extension, which is odd when everybody else is scrambling to tie up their coaches from prospective poachers.

His first year at Mississippi State, his recruiting class was ranked #19 by Scout.com. That year, against the toughest schedule in the country, he went a respectable 5-7

He's an Urban Meyer disciple.

He's a QB development guru, having worked with some good ones. Can you imagine a Nebraska team with an NFL-worthy QB? They might come to Lincoln if he's the Head Coach.

I have the feeling he may bring a chunk of his Coordinators and Assistants with him. (Like I said, Starkville to Lincoln is a huge upgrade).

I think he would be a good 'un.

The only reason I could see Shaw leaving is because of the constant comparisons to harbaugh. Harbaugh also had the benefit of Andrew luck as his qb (Shaw may have also had him for one year). I like Shaw. His o line dominates and he has to get kids who can qualify for Stanford. Shaw would be a good hire, not a splash but I think with his defense and a weak big 10 we could contend