Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Nebraska currently has 21 players playing in the NFL. Oregon State has 19.

It may be worth noting that two of Oregon State's NFLers are QBs. Who was the last Nebraska QB to be on an NFL staff in October?

Also, both schools have two RBs in the NFL: Nebraska has Rex Burkhead and Roy Helu Jr.

Oregon State has Steven Jackson and Jaquizz Rogers.

Finally, look at the College Football Revenue between the two schools and tell me who is getting more "bang for the buck".

Nebraska: Expenses 18,649.947 (well, that may go up with Pelini's payout) vs Revenue $55,063,437 (a profit of $36M)

Oregon St.: Expenses 11,903,213 vs Revenue $20,666,946 (a profit of less than $9M)

I'm trying to see the method to the madness here.

There is a way I can get excited about this.

He is obviously a very experienced HC. He knows how to manage a program.

This is the one thing we can all agree on. The dude has experience. We're not going to have to deal with a new HC's learning curve.
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The hiring story is not over yet. It is possible that, although he has not made lateral moves before now, Scott Frost may agree to come and be OC/Asst. Head Coach under a 61 year old who is signing his last big paycheck before retirement. That gives time to evaluate SF rather than just handing him the reigns, and even SF may see that as a win-win. Word is that Riley is bringing his DC, but no word on OC yet.

It's a 'splash' hire for everyone, it seems, except those of us here in NE. If we are preparing for a HUSKER SATURDAY GAME this time next year....Shawn will be a genius. I like our odds to be honest. Dig in a little (I had to dig a lot, I knew nothing about the dude) - and the sun starts shining.

• Turned down USC twice
  • Turned down Bama (where he played for Bear!)
  • The # of dudes he puts in the NFL
  • QB development
  • Ability to manage communication properly to all parties
  • WELL RESPECTED EVERYWHERE
  • An amazing recruiter
  • Agrees with the Nebraska Nice way
  • Will likely have a great staff due to the respect in circles
  • Will likely embrace and promote our great traditions, not the least of which will be the Blackshirts (which I think is one of NUs biggest marketing tools and needs to be leveraged)
  • More cool stuff I've read about him too...........tired of typing from phone....

Great post!!! All those freaking out simply don't understand the bigger picture, Mike Riley has proven he can do a lot with a little, especially when having to compete with Nike U, which would be hard for ANYONE!!! Now imagine what he may be able to accomplish here with the unlimited resources Nebraska has. I may be in the minority (at least among the fan base), but I think the future is brighter than many Husker fans realize; time will tell.

It's a 'splash' hire for everyone, it seems, except those of us here in NE. If we are preparing for a HUSKER SATURDAY GAME this time next year....Shawn will be a genius. I like our odds to be honest. Dig in a little (I had to dig a lot, I knew nothing about the dude) - and the sun starts shining.

• Turned down USC twice
  • QB development
  • An amazing recruiter
  • Will likely embrace and promote our great traditions, not the least of which will be the Blackshirts (which I think is one of NUs biggest marketing tools and needs to be leveraged)
  • More cool stuff I've read about him too...........tired of typing from phone....

Great post!!! All those freaking out simply don't understand the bigger picture, Mike Riley has proven he can do a lot with a little, especially when having to compete with Nike U, which would be hard for ANYONE!!! Now imagine what he may be able to accomplish here with the unlimited resources Nebraska has. I may be in the minority (at least among the fan base), but I think the future is brighter than many Husker fans realize; time will tell.

zt6ath.gif

• Haha 1

• Turned down USC twice
  • QB development
  • An amazing recruiter

Yea, I feel like I'm in the minority too - but it's not a bad hire at all.

Here's a great video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmj0l1681ts

What a disaster................I'm truly at a loss for words. I want to give the guy a chance, but I can't get over the feeling I have right now. I said a few days ago, this HAS to be the right hire or it'll drive this program to the depths from where it may never recover. I guess time will tell how this is going to go, but I have my doubts..............

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2