WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

Yeah, I think people who took the police report and build up Williams into a monster with a lifelong alcohol problem he still can't control need to take a breath. It's a constructed image. Maybe it's accurate. Not necessarily.

Hopefully, the LPD are doing the right thing here. If it were a situation where the decision should be put far out of the reach of UNL, then I'd hope they would take that route. Perhaps it was close to that -- or perhaps not even that.

Amen to that

Quick question...what is the point of someone that has failed the test to plead not guilty?

In Lincoln EVERY DUI is automatically entered as a not guilty plea until the actual court date.

Anyone reporting simply that he "pled not guilty" is being lazy.

---

Also.. to anyone claiming "football first" due to the charges

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/765288172410527744

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/765288452900397056

• Fire 1

I don't think that the difference is as relevant as people are making it out to be.

"You got really drunk, hit a guy, refused to exchange insurance information, and got arrested (for the 3rd time for this particular offense) and...wait...what??!! You only got KIND of drunk and all of that other stuff happened as a result? Changes EVERYTHING!"

Many will disagree, but as far as "mentoring" and "developing young men" are concerned, I don't think that this is the best message to be sending.

I thought about this and thinking back to all the coaches I ever had it would not have bothered one one tiny bit if any of them had troubles with the law. I would not try less, I would not give less effort I would not tune him out.

Now, if my coach was a horrible coach and telling me "when you make a tackle be sure to duck your head and exposed the crown of your helmet, sure you might get paralyzed but it is how I teach it" then I would have issues.

• Fire 2

Should every person who gets this kind of misdemeanor DUI charge get fired from whatever job they have? Jailed (for how long)? Or what?

Every person? No. Those who are required to uphold a certain level of professionalism and image? Yes, especially after a 3rd violation.

• Fire 3

he needs to fend for himself. It's called hitting rock bottom.

Did you walk to school uphill both ways? Sure seems like it.

What does this even mean?

Ummm....you're replying to your own post asking for clarification. In fact, you're replying to two of your own posts.

I have trouble posting from phone. You're a quick one aren't you?

The former Mayor of Grand Island, was pulled over a couple years ago, blew well over 0.08, and was never charged with DUI, nor was he taken to the same jail everyone else would go to. So yeah, who you are matters.

Who you are makes a huge difference in these cases. Just to throw out a recent example I would venture to guess Denard Robinson was not sober (booze or otherwise) when he had his recent mishap.

Quick question...what is the point of someone that has failed the test to plead not guilty?

In Lincoln EVERY DUI is automatically entered as a not guilty plea until the actual court date.

---

That makes no sense and it's no where close to experiences people I know have had.

first of all a 5% of error either way of .15 would be .1425 to .1575. Changing a .15 to .08 is changing it 46.7%.

Now....I'm not at all claiming what he was charged with was wrong or shouldn't have happened. I have no clue on the incident other than what has been reported. I'm just saying this tweet doesn't make sense.

Friends that I know who have gone through this basically say that if you blow a .15 or higher you are screwed. If you blow less than that, many times a plea deal is made to a lessor charge.

---

That makes no sense and it's no where close to experiences people I know have had.

first of all a 5% of error either way of .15 would be .1425 to .1575. Changing a .15 to .08 is changing it 46.7%.

Now....I'm not at all claiming what he was charged with was wrong or shouldn't have happened. I have no clue on the incident other than what has been reported. I'm just saying this tweet doesn't make sense.

Friends that I know who have gone through this basically say that if you blow a .15 or higher you are screwed. If you blow less than that, many times a plea deal is made to a lessor charge.

The .08 is not what his BAC was changed to, that's the charge. DUI .08 is the misdemeanor, then the felony DUI is .15. So anything between .08 and .1499999999999 would be a .08 charge. .1425 is within that range.

• Fire 1

I have been focusing on what a bad thing this event has been for KW, his family, the University, the people in the other car, etc. But I just realized that this is actually a best-case scenario.

1. KW seems to have a problem with decision-making with regard to drinking and driving.

2. This could have resulted in injuries or deaths, but it didn't.

3. This could have resulted in a felony and firing, permanently ruining his career, but it didn't.

This SHOULD be the catalyst to change his life for the better, and prevent future deaths. Hopefully he will use this experience to help others, especially the impressionable young people he mentors. Maybe the man upstairs has a plan for KW.

• Fire 4

Feels very dirty and like an abuse of power... drunk driving should never be excused. But we got our coach back. Ugh...

Yeah pretty much how I feel as well. Going forward no coach (or recruit) is worth putting the integrity of your school at stake. I'm sure his future depends on how this all plays out in the courts and to see a 3rd offense DUI actually get bumped down to a misdemeanor because of a supposed breathalyzer 'margin of error' has me shaking my head.

Take one look at that mugshot. It's right there for all to see that his ass was tore up.

Not good. This whole thing. Not good at all.

People! Doesn't matter the breathalyzer reading! That's only a tool to establish reasonable cause. The real BAC is derived from the blood test. We may never know what that was. BREATHALYZER RESULTS ARE NOT ADMISSIBLE IN COURT. Stop speculating

The field test is not admissible. Most cases don't actually take a blood test these days. They take you to the station and have a tech give you a another test on a calibrated machine.