** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

UCF is a mid-major themselves, with mid-major athletes, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  And it was a 0-12 team when he took over.  The turnaround has been nothing short of astonishing.

And no, I don't want to see Riley's Huskers playing the likes of UCF or Navy. 

Their top 25 ranking is probably legit too.

Congrats coach Frost on a fantastic win against Navy today! Scott has shown that his team can face adversity in a ball game and play hard until the very last second. Folks this man knows how to play a complete game, all four quarters! I cannot wait to see him turn this Nebraska football program around.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

UCF is a mid-major themselves, with mid-major athletes, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  And it was a 0-12 team when he took over.  The turnaround has been nothing short of astonishing.

I was simply pointing out that it is a mid major program and not the same caliber that would should be aspiring to. But also probably not a good point to make since they would likely destroy us.

And yes, it is an incredible job he has done turning them around. To be honest, that is the primary thing that appeals to me about Frost is that he has done (is doing) what we need here. I also think he would get more emotion, pride and investment out of the players. My biggest hang up is his style of offense. Maybe he would be flexible and more adaptable than our prior 3 coaches. You can’t fault me for being a bit gun shy after what we’ve been through.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

UCF had a real nice drive to go up by 10 with 3 minutes left. 2nd and 10 from the 12, and they stay with the run and score a TD. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’ve been impressed by UCF’s D. They are fast, aggressive, and do a very good job of shedding blockers to make plays. 

Yes, I’ve noticed this and sure would like to see both of those things here.

34 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I’m going to try to avoid the hype train and ask some questions and point out a few things I think may be applicable.

UCF plays in the AAC. That’s not exactly P5 level competition.

Can we just start playing Navy, Tulsa, Temple, Tulane and the like now?

It just feels like football light. I mean the current version of the Huskers would probably struggle with it but shouldn’t we set our sights higher?

I am not sold on his offense at all. Most of what I’ve seen is the result of poor defense and freak big plays. I don’t see that being near as prolific in the B1G. And those penalty problems would hint at some concerns about the team playing disciplined ball.

Im sorry but I’m just not sold at all that this is the best Nebraska can do at this point. IF he is truly the rising star most claim then yes, maybe we can’t afford to not snatch him up now. But my preference would still be to get a more proven commodity that wants to return Nebraska to a team that controls the LOS, plays nasty defense and establishes and relies on the run instead of this cutesy finesse sling it around the yard stuff. Haven’t we had our fill of that with Callahan and Riley? I sure have.

The pro style offense is a thing of the pass. We need to catch up with the times. The Frost "finesse" offense is about creating the best match ups and getting skill players in space. That's always a good thing.

Also I'm sure there are others who wonder if this spread offense can work in the B1G, nothin is a given but Ohio St just beat the breaks off the blackshirts while running their version of the spread last week.

We can't afford to over think this one. If Riley leaves, we HAVE to go after Frost!!!!

• Plus1 1

Just now, El Diaco said:

Yes, I’ve noticed this and sure would like to see both of those things here.

I’m not smart enough to tell the difference between UCF’s 3-4 and our 3-4, but it does look way different. It is tough to tell by going up against an offense like Navy, but I haven’t seen the Blackshirt play fast and aggressive and make big hits like UCF has today. 

2 minutes ago, bhunt7 said:

The pro style offense is a thing of the pass. We need to catch up with the times. The Frost "finesse" offense is about creating the best match ups and getting skill players in space. That's always a good thing.

Also I'm sure there are others who wonder if this spread offense can work in the B1G, nothin is a given but Ohio St just beat the breaks off the blackshirts while running their version of the spread last week.

We can't afford to over think this one. If Riley leaves, we HAVE to go after Frost!!!!

I also wouldn’t call Frost’s offense a finesse one. It’s a power spread. They spread out the D horizontally, in order to create mismatches and attack it vertically. On UCF’s big run to go up 21-14, I their WR make a block on the outside like NU used to. That was a thing of beauty.  

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also wouldn’t call Frost’s offense a finesse one. It’s a power spread. They spread out the D horizontally, in order to create mismatches and attack it vertically. On UCF’s big run to go up 21-14, I their WR make a block on the outside like NU used to. That was a thing of beauty.  

This is the truth.  I can't understand how this offense can be called finesse.

They are significantly more physical on both sides of the ball than we are now.  The WR block like old Husker teams and the offensive line just buries the guy in front of them.  They do a lot of one on one blocking where you just have to be better than the guy in front of you and the OL has proven they have the want to necessary to get that done. His team is as good as they are for many reasons, but the biggest one is the play of his offensive line.  They are fantastic.  They ran for 247 yards today and threw for 233.  Those yards in the air are off of RPO and play action, but make no mistake this is a running offense.  Their passing numbers have been gaudy because they have been hitting homeruns on the PA and RPOs because teams have to sell out to stop the run.  They are averaging 225.1 ypg rushing and have 50 more rushing attempts than pass attempts BEFORE today when they primarily ran the ball to beat Navy.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Big Red Commie said:

Er, wouldnt he retain his TX connections just as Riley did w Cali?

It's not like the connection to CA is huge. Only about 8 recruits total since Riley was hired are on the team. 8 from Texas as well whereas prior to our move to the B1G, Bo was able to land 21 from Texas 08-2010 vs. 11 from Cali.

So, it is a numerical fact that we haven't been able to get nearly as many recruits from Texas than California since moving to the B1G. Does Riley have more recruiting footprint in the Pacific NW? Sure. I'll give him that. But, I'd take Texas HS players over them all day. That's just my own personal preference. So I'm not afraid to admit that maybe I'm wrong and maybe Patterson could bring more Texas talent to Nebraska. The jury is out on that one since we've had 2 HC's who've struggled to recruit that area dating back to 2011.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Apparently first time ucf has ever gone 6-0 and apparently snapped a 15+ game home winstreak that navy had. 

• Plus1 1