Frost’s QB Room

27 minutes ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

I really hope Gebbia hangs in there and sticks with us. I really like the kid even though it’s obvious that long-term AM fits this offense the best.   

But, with McCaffrey en route, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Gebbia take off at some point unless something crazy happens.  

I like Gebbia too and appreciate his work ethic.  I think he will stick around this season, but if AM becomes a superstar, Gebbia will realize he will not get any playing time at NU (unless AM goes down in a game).  

42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It would be nice if he stayed but he’s probably good enough to start at a DI program and so it would probably be best for him to do that if he thinks he has a shot at the NFL.

Completely agree and he's still so young. If AM holds onto the job all year, I wouldn't be surprised if Gebbia starts putting out feelers. Luke McCaffrey will be coming in and Noah Vedral will be eligible, too. They'll have OK depth at the position if TG felt it was time to leave.

Plus, one unlucky play this year and all of a sudden TG could be the new starter.

That said, he has always had some incredibly positive things to say about Nebraska. He referred to this place as home and (IIRC) said something along the lines of how transferring was never under consideration when MR got fired. But, if I had to bet, I'd be surprised if he finishes his career here.

Congrats to A-Magic

With the way that QBs move around nowadays, Gebbia is as good as gone.  He seems like a great kid and by all accounts worked his tail off and is respected in the locker room.

Not sure of the NCAA rules, but since Gebbia has already started classes does that mean he can't transfer this semester and have it count as his "sit out year"?  If so, it sucks for him as he will probably stick around this semester, then transfer in the winter, have to sit out another year, then finally be able to play as a junior.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

Can we play a game before we kick Gebbia off the team?

No one is kicking him off the team.  We're just talking about the reality of college football now.  Highly rated QBs leave when they don't get starting jobs.  The odds of both Martinez and Gebbia both finishing their careers at Nebraska as very, very, slim.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No one is kicking him off the team.  We're just talking about the reality of college football now.  Highly rated QBs leave when they don't get starting jobs.  The odds of both Martinez and Gebbia both finishing their careers at Nebraska as very, very, slim.

then maybe we should wait until he actually decides to transfer?

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I think I just realized why Frost waits until Sunday to announce his starting QB: He knows the story has national interest and he wants the Cornhuskers to be relevant in football again. So why release it when there are college games going on and postgame stories competing for pushing the Husker news off the news feed faster? Releasing it on a (pre-NFL game day) Sunday maximizes national attention to the story (and that includes potential recruits).

As a side point, I find Frost’s “leak control” to be very impressive.

I think you're reading a bit more into it than is there...

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Congrats to A-Magic

With the way that QBs move around nowadays, Gebbia is as good as gone.  He seems like a great kid and by all accounts worked his tail off and is respected in the locker room.

Not sure of the NCAA rules, but since Gebbia has already started classes does that mean he can't transfer this semester and have it count as his "sit out year"?  If so, it sucks for him as he will probably stick around this semester, then transfer in the winter, have to sit out another year, then finally be able to play as a junior.

holy cow man!!  give it a chance........Gebbia is more than likely to play and probably well........the chance of AM making it through the season in this offense is going to be slim.......his situation is no different than Frost's when he was considering Stanford.......wow, just wow!

1 minute ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Question. If Martinez struggles early on and especially if he plays poorly, is there any chance Gebbia takes over? I know people predicted the opposite happening with Gebbia starting (I am included in this group), so I guess I’m asking if there’s anyway short of injury A-Mart loses the starting position?

I mean, I doubt Frost is dumb enough to let a QB who throws 2 pick sixes in the first quarter to stay in there the entire game and not at least take him out to try to get him out of his funk.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Question. If Martinez struggles early on and especially if he plays poorly, is there any chance Gebbia takes over? I know people predicted the opposite happening with Gebbia starting (I am included in this group), so I guess I’m asking if there’s anyway short of injury A-Mart loses the starting position?

Let me call Scott and ask him.....

It said your number has been blocked. I’ll take that as a yes?

10 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Frost will have to let Martinez experience some growing pains and freshman mistakes.  He probably would have done the same for Gebbia.  However, if Martinez is completely crapping the bed in a game, I am sure Gebbia will be given a chance to change things up.