Scott Frost: Look out for Nebraska in 2019

13 minutes ago, Oade said:

I disagree with that to a certain degree. I think its a fairly easy fix because we have recruited pretty well, but I don't think there is any question that Wisconsin and Iowa have consistently better talent than us. Maybe it's debatable, but I think it's pretty clear they have both been much better in the trenches than us, and also at QB, RB, CB, and LB too

There's talent and there's coaching. The rankings aren't perfect, but they're not so wrong as to get it wrong every damn year. Wisconsin and Iowa have out-coached/out-developed us, but they don't have more raw talent than us.

• Plus1 5

How many of the 26 scholarship recruits were NOT recruited by Riley before Frosty took over?   And how many of the players no longer on the roster were Riley recruits?

In other words, IF the problem in the roster was Riley recruits not giving the effort, etc, then it may well be that the turnover to date is actually making the team, as a whole, worse, not better.

We know Frost had a limited time to recruit his first class and certainly had to take a portion which were not necessarily his first, second or even third choice.   Arguably this class he is now building will be truly his first class to restock with players he wants to build the future with.   

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

How many of the 26 scholarship recruits were NOT recruited by Riley before Frosty took over?   And how many of the players no longer on the roster were Riley recruits?

In other words, IF the problem in the roster was Riley recruits not giving the effort, etc, then it may well be that the turnover to date is actually making the team, as a whole, worse, not better.

We know Frost had a limited time to recruit his first class and certainly had to take a portion which were not necessarily his first, second or even third choice.   Arguably this class he is now building will be truly his first class to restock with players he wants to build the future with.   

I count 5 Riley recruits that Frost still took:  Cam Jurgens (Frost would have recruited him anyway), Will Farniok, Tate Wildeman, David Alston, Barret Pickering

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I count 5 Riley recruits that Frost still took:  Cam Jurgens (Frost would have recruited him anyway), Will Farniok, Tate Wildeman, David Alston, Barret Pickering

And walk ons were presumably included in the 51 number several posts back.   Presumably half or more of those were Riley recruited also?

My belief is that Frost will 'turnover the roster' from within in that many of the existing players can be much better than they showed before with the right training, motivation, schemes, effort, etc.   I don't feel we need to wait until the 2019 class are juniors to really see the Frost impact.   The talent level is far from top ten but it may be top 40 ish and can perform much higher with one of the very best coaches, the facilities, etc. that we have.  We are top ten in most areas and presumably we made a giant leap up the scale in Frost and Company vs. Riley and Pelini at the end.   I will remain optimistic until such time as the team shows me otherwise this fall.   I know we are not going to be top ten but top twenty five seems quite possible. 

3 hours ago, melscott62 said:

We haven't turned over the roster.

No, but out of 140 players, 51 of them have been added since December. That's a high percentage in a small amount of time. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The roster is in the process of being turned over.  There are already 51 new players on the roster compared to last year.

Over a third of the roster added since December, that's pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, Oade said:

I disagree with that to a certain degree. I think its a fairly easy fix because we have recruited pretty well, but I don't think there is any question that Wisconsin and Iowa have consistently better talent than us. Maybe it's debatable, but I think it's pretty clear they have both been much better in the trenches than us, and also at QB, RB, CB, and LB too.... I think we're more on par with NW or Minny to be honest - and neither are going to win the West this season.

Not that our players don't have the potential to fix the issues within a year or two, but for as much as we've out-recruited the West, the West has out trained and coached us.

Maybe Frost's system can help cover-up some of the gap, and there is no question we've already stated to address the issues, but we probably aren't going to have the most talent on the field for more than 3 or 4 games this season, and "on par" talent another 3 or 4 games imo.

QB? Stave vs TA? Outside of Russel, Wisconsin has had poor QBs. As far as defense, how can you tell. It has been a while since we had any type of reasonable scheme on D.

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

And walk ons were presumably included in the 51 number several posts back.   Presumably half or more of those were Riley recruited also?

My belief is that Frost will 'turnover the roster' from within in that many of the existing players can be much better than they showed before with the right training, motivation, schemes, effort, etc.   I don't feel we need to wait until the 2019 class are juniors to really see the Frost impact.   The talent level is far from top ten but it may be top 40 ish and can perform much higher with one of the very best coaches, the facilities, etc. that we have.  We are top ten in most areas and presumably we made a giant leap up the scale in Frost and Company vs. Riley and Pelini at the end.   I will remain optimistic until such time as the team shows me otherwise this fall.   I know we are not going to be top ten but top twenty five seems quite possible. 

I think that's a poor presumption.  I don't have the exact numbers, but I think many came on board after Frost's HomeGrown event.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Oade said:

I disagree with that to a certain degree. I think its a fairly easy fix because we have recruited pretty well, but I don't think there is any question that Wisconsin and Iowa have consistently better talent than us. Maybe it's debatable, but I think it's pretty clear they have both been much better in the trenches than us, and also at QB, RB, CB, and LB too.... I think we're more on par with NW or Minny to be honest - and neither are going to win the West this season.

I completely disagree that Iowa and Wisconsin have  better talent.  They have simply out worked and out smarted us year in and year out. They wanted it, we didn't.  Michigan, Penn State. Ohio State and possibly Michigan State out class us right now, that is it.

Things are changing right before your eyes. It is ok to sip some koolaid...try it, you'll like it...

orig

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Oade said:

Maybe Frost's system can help cover-up some of the gap, and there is no question we've already stated to address the issues, but we probably aren't going to have the most talent on the field for more than 3 or 4 games this season, and "on par" talent another 3 or 4 games imo.

You make good points about IA and UW, but I'm curious.  Which teams on the 2018 schedule, other than OSU and UM, do you think have more pure "talent" than us?  Not saying your wrong or anything, I just personally feel that outside of these two (ohio & the team up north), we are at worst EQUAL talent wise with every other team on the schedule.  In fact I consider MSUcks and Wiskyd#ck far better in the player development and coaching categories over the last several years than NU, but not more talented.  Iowa, NW, Minny, Purdue, IL, non-con ALL less talent.  Of those, Iowa and NW until now, have had better coaching and development/culture, but certainly not better talent.  Just my opinion.  

• Plus1 1

I find it amazing that there are those who are afraid to go all in on what is happening now in this program. Comments like “yeah but that’s what we heard in years past” or “I won’t believe it until I see it.” I have to wonder about folks who can’t see and feel how this is different and nothing at all like Callahan, Pelini or Riley. This is real. The rug will not pulled out from under the Huskers again. Drink the Kool-Aid and enjoy the ride.

• Plus1 4
32 minutes ago, Ulty said:

This childish nonsense overshadows any otherwise intelligent point you were trying to make.

Childish nonsense?  Have you gone to B1G away game?  Fans in the B1G certainly aren't choir boys.  I'm not one either.  Seriously, can't we have a little fun with our fellow B!G brethren.  Geez.  On the other hand, thanks for sort-of complimenting my point. ;)

• Plus1 1