The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, nic said:

This is ridiculous and nonsensical. I get that hypocritical politicians and mixed messages cause frustration, but a person can still make reasonable decisions based on their own research. Seeing people wear masks in cars or out on a walk with their spouse made zero sense to me, but so does making mask mandates illegal. If I was in Florida and wanted my employees and customers to wear masks that is my choice for my business. Likewise if some county health department wants me to wear a mask outside while running I am going to blow that off in a heartbeat. We should know enough now to react to this next spike appropriately without going overboard in either direction. I wish politicians had common sense.

I would agree and it’s something I disagree with DeSantis about.  There shouldn’t be a nationwide or statewide mask mandate or mandate against mask mandates.  It should be moved to the local control

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

:steam :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Our GOP senators will surely be a voice of reason or wait........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ted-cruz-calls-zero-covid-133500026.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

As a resurgent coronavirus is forcing states to address soaring cases and hospitalizations, Republican Sens. Ted Cruz (Tex.) and Rand Paul (Ky.) denounced health mandates against the virus at a time when the United States recorded its highest single-day number of new cases since January.

The United States reported nearly 160,000 cases on Monday, pushing the seven-day average to almost 115,000 daily, according to data compiled by The Washington Post. It was the most severe day for new cases in the country since Jan. 29, when coronavirus vaccines were not widely available. Hospitalizations are also up to nearly 70,000 as businesses and schools grapple with mandates for vaccinations and masks during the fourth wave of the pandemic.

But Cruz said to Fox News host Sean Hannity that no health regulations are needed to help curb a nationwide surge fueled by the highly transmissible delta variant and the millions who remain unvaccinated.

"There should be no mandates - zero - concerning covid," Cruz said. "That means no mask mandates, regardless of your vaccination status. That means no vaccine mandates. That means no vaccine passports."

Cruz's call for no covid mandates of any kind came hours after he and Sen. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D., introduced two bills that would ban mask and vaccine mandates. The bills would countermand recent guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recommends people wear masks indoors regardless of their vaccination status.

Cruz joined Paul in denouncing mandates amid a resurgence in cases and hospitalizations. The Kentucky senator - who has fashioned himself as the Senate's chief skeptic of Anthony S. Fauci, the country's top infectious-diseases doctor - released a video Sunday that urged people to resist the regulations implemented by health experts and elected officials to help prevent the spread of the deadly delta variant.

"It's time for us to resist. They can't arrest all of us," Paul said. "They can't keep all of your kids home from school. They can't keep every government building closed, although I've got a long list of ones they might keep closed or ought to keep closed."

Coronavirus cases in Kentucky are up by 50% in the last week, data shows. Almost every county in Kentucky has "high community transmission," according to the CDC.

School districts in the state have expanded virtual offerings as classes start again. In Jefferson County Public Schools, which includes Louisville, data shows that nearly 53% of the more than 95,000 students in the district will not be old enough to be vaccinated, according to the Louisville Courier Journal.

Paul, who Fauci has said does not know what he's talking about when it comes to the pandemic, called the CDC's mask guidance "anti-science."

"Will we allow these people to use fear and propaganda to do further harm to our society, economy, and children?" Paul tweeted. "Or will we stand together and say, absolutely not. Not this time. I choose freedom."

I wonder what these  parents are teaching their kids -  they aren't teaching well.

Teach Your Children

Nash, Young, ...

You, who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a goodbye
You, who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a goodbye
Teach your children well
Their father's hell did slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by
Don't you ever ask them why
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you
And you, of tender years
You can't know the fears that your elders grew by
And so, please, help them with your youth
'Cause they seek the truth before they can die
Teach your children well
Their father's hell will slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by
Don't you ever ask them why
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Graham Nash

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

On top of that, if you're fat they make you prove you can eat properly before a gastric surgery. If you drink your liver away, they make you stop drinking for months before a liver transplant. If you smoke, you must be nicotine free for months before a lung transplant. Makes sense if you want a precious resource like a vent or ICU bed for COVID, the first considered would be the ones to do the bare minimum to prevent the very thing they are being treated for. You wouldn't give bypass to someone who didn't diet over one that did. You wouldn't give a lung to a person still smoking over someone who quit months prior. You wouldn't give a liver to someone still drinking over someone who quit months ago. 

Exactly. And the funniest part of it all is a bunch of vaccinated people are telling unvaccinated people how bad the vaccine is and these idiots are believing them. 

8 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You wouldn't give a lung to a person still smoking over someone who quit months prior.

By the standards set forth from @Frott Scost why give the lung to a smoker in the first place even if they quit.  They made their choice to smoke and lungs are a precious resource.  Save them for people who never smoked.  Same thing with livers and drinkers.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

By the standards set forth from @Frott Scost why give the lung to a smoker in the first place even if they quit.  They made their choice to smoke and lungs are a precious resource.  Save them for people who never smoked.  Same thing with livers and drinkers.  

If you have two healthy lungs, you treat both people. If you only have one and need to make a choice…..

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Like I said before, if you took the time to read my post. Someone who contracts covid can kill others by infecting them. Immunocompromised people who cant take the vaccine. Healthcare workers who take care of these people daily. Smokers and alcholics kill themselves. 

Just now, teachercd said:

My take, there is no "how to open schools safely" that is not a thing.

You either open the school like normal or you do remote.  Those are the options. 

While a fair point, some parents would rather send students to school anyway. 

I don't know what the caveats are to how the federal money can be used, but they could purchase laptops, give internet stipends etc. for students who want to learn remote. 

The in person measures aren't great, but DeSantis is in a position where he has to do the crazy things his voters want. The money could purchase masks or for anything that 'helps' in person learning while mitigating the spread.

• Plus1 1