***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

As someone who still has family and friends still in Omaha, and most (if not all) of them voted for Trump, I was so glad to see District 2 go to Biden.  It was predicted as a huge point, and it turned out it probably will be.

I also saw that Pennsylvania considered splitting their electoral votes by Congressional District in 2011.  That would have added to the interest last night/today.

I think the below tweet is fairly representative of what happened (and it's huge... as I know a lot of people who ultimately went this route of Biden/Bacon/Sasse.)

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I hope for you're durability, because I'm not a fan of your running mate!:thumbs

Somewhere buried back in the 1,000 pages of pre-election talk I opined that whoever won the election wouldn't survive the following four year term. 

Which makes me wonder - how many people voted not just for trump or Biden, but for Pence or Harris as well? Usually we ignore the Veep, but this election they seemed to be much more in play.

7 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Bacon won Omaha's legislative spot by the largest margin in a decade while a democrat presidential candidate won the electoral vote safely, that is a pathetic outcome for Eastman. The Nebraska Dems really missed the mark here.

Eastman was not a good candidate twice now, and Ashford coming out and stumping for Bacon took a lot of the wind out of her sails with older Dems. 

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

I feel absolutely sick this morning. I mean, I had understood all along that the counting would not yet be complete on Tuesday night, that Trump would prematurely declare victory, and that actual American values would be fighting against voter suppression efforts...BUT just looking at the sheer numbers at this point is heartbreaking.

In 2016, nearly 63 million people cast a vote for Trump. That in itself was unbelievable, but so far today, he has almost 67 million votes and counting. How the f#ck could that many American people look at this horrible man and the state of our country and make that choice?

The GOP is gaining seats in the house, and vile incompetent a$$holes like Matt Gaetz, Jim Jordan, and Devin Nunez sailed to easy victories.

There is still counting to be done in Senate races, but how the f#ck can the people of South Carolina keep voting for Lindsey Graham? How the f#ck can the people of Iowa keep voting for Joni Ernst? Mitch McConnell is one of the most unscrupulous and evil men in the whole country, and his victory was way too easy.

Even if Biden manages to eke out 270 electoral votes when the counting is done, and even if the Dems eke out that 50th Senate seat, it is still very discouraging that this is where we are as a country. If Trump and the GOP maintain control, we are absolutely f#cked.

How did we get to this point as a country, and how do we fight back? How can good people change the hearts and minds of the apathetic, the ignorant, and the racist?

On the "Today Show" this morning, they were asking the same questions.  They were commenting, using my words, that with all of the trump issues, how can it be that the election was this close.  We, those with an open mind who realize that generally speaking traditional party differences don't make the other party the enemy, see that our politics are way screwed up.  We are in a very dysfunctional time - the most dysfunctional time in my 64 years of life.  The era of Trump made it much worse.  IMHO, I think it started in 1988 with the scorch earth campaign by GHWB. Lee Atwater, the campaing mgr for Bush, was known for dirty campaigns, sowing disinformation.  While GHWB gave presented this nice guy persona, Atwater took the low road.  His infamous and racist Willie Horton ad was used in the 1988 campaign to destroy Democratic candidate Michael Dukakis.

It may take an UNCLE JOE to get us back on track.  However, since Moscow Mitch, aka The Turtle, won re-election, Biden may be stymied in his abilities to bridge the divide - if the GOP retains control of the Senate.  

I think both parties need to vastly remake their image.  There is a huge (1/2 of the voters approx) that they are talking over and not connecting to.   The GOP will not win the popular vote again without a total redoing of their image and also a redo of many of their harsh policies.   The Dems will not gain the mandate they hope to govern with, without reaching out to those that feel abandoned by some of their 'scary left' leanings (whether those leanings become policy or not is irrelevant. The perception is still there- the GOP has done a good job with their propaganda paint brush).  I still believe that if the Dems made more overtures to the pro-life and evangelical crowd, they would secure a governing mandate.  The GOP image was sinking way before Trump but Trump threw it into the dumpster.  The Dems have allowed the GOP to define their image way to long.  They need to prove that the scary image the GOP paints is an illusion - it is fake news.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, GSG said:

Everything went pretty well here in Colorado. We shot down a poorly put together abortion ban where all people see is the 22-weeks number and freak out cuz they're too lazy to read the whole thing. We now have paid family leave for small businesses. We lowered income taxes. Raised taxes on tobacco and vaping bulls#!t. We might be reintroducing gray wolves to our state :dunno 

The only real loss in the state was one of our districts elected a gun-humping, Q-Anon-quoting, psycho who doesn't have any education past her GED to be US representative 

Oh, and Kanye got 6200 votes in Colorado :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
14 minutes ago, GSG said:

Everything went pretty well here in Colorado. We shot down a poorly put together abortion ban where all people see is the 22-weeks number and freak out cuz they're too lazy to read the whole thing. We now have paid family leave for small businesses. We lowered income taxes. Raised taxes on tobacco and vaping bulls#!t. We might be reintroducing gray wolves to our state :dunno 

The only real loss in the state was one of our districts elected a gun-humping, Q-Anon-quoting, psycho who doesn't have any education past her GED to be US representative 

Most of the items on the Colorado I voted for won/passed.  With Lauren Boebert, I guess the Western Slope is gonna stay the Western Slope.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Somewhere buried back in the 1,000 pages of pre-election talk I opined that whoever won the election wouldn't survive the following four year term. 

Which makes me wonder - how many people voted not just for trump or Biden, but for Pence or Harris as well? Usually we ignore the Veep, but this election they seemed to be much more in play.

I agree with this.  Like you, I've said the same thing - I doubt that Biden or Trump make the 4 years with their health issues.  Many people I have spoken with - who leaned or were GOP, were fine wt Biden but felt kind of scared of Harris.  She has been painted as to the left of Bernie, an opportunist, and short of national experience.  I think a lot of  the " on the  fence"  GOPers decided to stay wt trump for that reason.  Harris gave me pause also - esp after seeing that 60 minutes interview.  I was very comfortable with Biden and had to just trust that he would set the tone and that he'd be around for 4 years (and even if not, Trump had to go even if Biden's running mate was Bozo the Clown).   I do think that Harris may ultimately be very capable of the job. Being AG of Calif is no small job, so I hope if called upon she would continue what Biden starts.  

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think the below tweet is fairly representative of what happened (and it's huge... as I know a lot of people who ultimately went this route of Biden/Bacon/Sasse.)

I never did ask my neighbor, but now I'm curious.  He had all the GOP signs, except Trump.  It was noticeable to me because the GOP must have made a stop and put all the signs in the neighborhood.  I came home from work and saw the signs and just sighed.  I came outside an hour or two later and saw him yank the Trump sign and put it in his garage.

Good for him!

12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Eastman was not a good candidate twice now, and Ashford coming out and stumping for Bacon took a lot of the wind out of her sails with older Dems. 

100% agree. IMO she has now twice done a poor job of relating to more moderate voters. She comes off as radicalized and unlikeable to a large swath of voters.

For me, the Ashford support was monumentally game changing. I was already leaning Bacon prior to it, but that announcement was a final nail in the coffin. I've long been a fan of Ashford's.

12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I voted Eastman but she wasn't my favorite. Bacon has been good about responding to my emails, and doesn't come off as slimy to me. 

Eastman on twitter saying a protester was murdered in cold blood, at the heights of protesting/riots in Omaha stood out to me. I thought it was irresponsible to fuel the fires in her position, without any of the facts known. 

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'll just say that Harris is THEE reason I didn't vote for Biden.