Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

I wasn't clear, but the totality of his freshman year game.  He was sharp, accurate and a fast blinker.  Maybe dumb down the playbook.  Limit his decisions....

11 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I think they've already tried that regarding the play book. 

It's the sum of all parts. There is no single answer.  I think put Adrian, or most QBs, on LSU last year and he looks really good.  Luke could still turn our very solidly,  TBD.  But we have line inconsistencies, WR issues, QB mistakes, play calling limitations and a coach unsure of how to handle all those things together.  It's frustrating and it's not simple.

The thing that I get hung up on is how good Adrian COULD be. We've seen flashes, and he has all the physical gifts that you want at that position.  Luke doesn't but he's got the heart, the drive and the fight.

I am really interested to see how Luke does with some tape on film, and defenses preparing just for him. He should get a full look this season and then the coaches know what they've got moving into next year.  He also will have had a fair shake no matter how it ends up.  I hope if he ends up not being the QB of the future he will still remain a Husker at another position because he could be really great somewhere with his athleticism.

^I agree especially this season with the lack of experienced WR's among other things but when you are straight up throwing the ball away/int, fumbling or just missing wide open guys all together that's on the guy under center.  It would be different if this wasn't year 3 except it is.    

Next season could be an entirely different story throwing Smothers into the mix.  For me just like any other QB in this case I'm riding with LM until he proves otherwise or starts showing bad tendencies consistently  then it's time to go with someone else.  Not after 1 game in their 1st start after some really shotty pass protection and OL play among other things.

The funny thing is the thing that impressed me the most about him wasn't the completions but rather how McCaffrey basically saved a few possible turnovers with the Jurgens snaps (incredible poise and athleticism/awareness especially in his first start) as well as making numerous plays when the pocket broke down which certainly happened more than once on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Coach V.........Regression.

Coach V and Frost have long and successful track records with quarterbacks.

But no coach bats 1.000

Let's see what Coach V and Frost can do with McCaffrey.  And Smothers.

And honestly, they developed Vedral into a pretty nice DI QB.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Coach V and Frost have long and successful track records with quarterbacks.

But no coach bats 1.000

Let's see what Coach V and Frost can do with McCaffrey.  And Smothers.

And honestly, they developed Vedral into a pretty nice DI QB.

That's nice.  Who would you start at QB this week, and why?  Stick to the thread question. 

• Haha 1

I wouldn't be against giving Martinez some run this week. You gave Luke a game to himself and he didn't really do anything with it. Now that we're finally playing a not awesome defense, Luke gets the start but I give Adrian a series in each half to give him a chance to win his job back. If he flames out, we roll with Luke rest of the season to see what we have.

• Plus1 2

53 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I wouldn't be against giving Martinez some run this week. You gave Luke a game to himself and he didn't really do anything with it. Now that we're finally playing a not awesome defense, Luke gets the start but I give Adrian a series in each half to give him a chance to win his job back. If he flames out, we roll with Luke rest of the season to see what we have.

This seems like such a tough spot to put a QB in and normally I'd be against it, but I agree. AM and Luke both got their chance to separate themselves and they didn't so now you have to play both and see if one takes the reins. If one guy has the hot hand one week you roll with him until he doesn't. I think the QBs and Frost are in a tough spot.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This seems like such a tough spot to put a QB in and normally I'd be against it, but I agree. AM and Luke both got their chance to separate themselves and they didn't so now you have to play both and see if one takes the reins. If one guy has the hot hand one week you roll with him until he doesn't. I think the QBs and Frost are in a tough spot.

LM to start, AM at the ready. 

Sometimes you need "the worst" to happen. Getting benched has probably been in the back of AM's mind for going on a year now. Now that it has happened, that weight may be lifted. The world didn't end, he can just go out and play now.

It also might suit his personality to have to "win" a job rather than "keep" a job. LM didn't set the world on fire, go win your job back.

• Plus1 3

I don't like flip flopping the starter, so I'd probably stick with Luke. I do think there's room to play both though - you've got to be smart about it and not kill any momentum one of them is building, but if it truly is that close both should play.

Whoever is playing, I expect it to be our best offensive game this year just by nature of not playing a good defense. So it's actually pretty big for perception of who should be playing - if one guy gets significantly more playing time, the media narrative is going to be "the offense is finally turning the corner with so and so at the helm!" even though the other guy would likely have played at a similar level. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't like flip flopping the starter, so I'd probably stick with Luke. I do think there's room to play both though - you've got to be smart about it and not kill any momentum one of them is building, but if it truly is that close both should play.

Whoever is playing, I expect it to be our best offensive game this year just by nature of not playing a good defense. So it's actually pretty big for perception of who should be playing - if one guy gets significantly more playing time, the media narrative is going to be "the offense is finally turning the corner with so and so at the helm!" even though the other guy would likely have played at a similar level. 

Other than Iowa, NU is playing some pretty bad defenses in the last 4 games of the season.  I agree that whomever is starting, should benefit from an improved offense by playing bad defenses the rest of the year.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Other than Iowa, NU is playing some pretty bad defenses in the last 4 games of the season.  I agree that whomever is starting, should benefit from an improved offense by playing bad defenses the rest of the year.

Purdue is actually playing pretty good defense this year - currently ranked 40th and allowing 23.7 points per game.  Iowa is ranked 12th, right behind Northwestern.  Illinois's defense (92nd) is actually ranked above Penn State (96th), and Minnesota (103rd).