Iowa What Did We Learn?

seaofred92

What I've learned is that it's a fools errand to hope that this program will ever be "back." You have to just treat it like a theater at a comedy of errors; the fun in Husker football at this point is seeing how bad things can get, making new lows, and speculating as to how much Frost can personally contribute to putting the final nail in the coffin.

-Starting a sprinter-turned-quarterback who commits four turnovers and leads the team to a crushing loss against Illinois? Check!

-Favoring a center who can't snap the f****** ball to save his life?! Check again!

How is there "progress" when you're 1-4? If we had played the non-cons, Cincinnati would have wiped the turf with us and we'd be 3-5 at this point. Thinking about who we'll get for that last cross-divisional game is absolute L-O-L. If we draw Rutgers and Vedral shreds us it will really all have come full circle.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Just read the ESPN story about Ferentz and the clapping. For staying around one school for so long and being a B-level coach, he has quite an ego. His deflecting, to me, shows that they were clearly intentional. I’m fine with the gamesmanship but it indicates to me that he isn’t confident in his program to win without the gimmicks. 

What I find interesting is that Iowa has  the best decade in their history with our worst in 60+ years but still can barely beat our team with Frost as HC. I’m looking forward to next year already... just hope the corner is turned in that time. 

I have to give Ferentz credit - that was one hell of a non-denial.

• Plus1 4

Jurgens has continually hurt the team with bad snaps and yet he still plays.  If he is a great blocker, then shift him to playing a guard or tackle.  Surely, there is one lineman who can snap the ball!  
What do the players think when Jurgens continually screws up but still starts?  It really tells the players that the coaches don’t demand excellence or enforce standards.   I think that was Solich’s downfall too based upon some rumors I heard.  
Frost needs to really think about what is happening and make some changes soon.

8 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

- I was very excited to see what kind of QB play + skill position talent we’d get when we hired Frost, but the #1 thing I was excited for was OLine play after watching UCF work over Auburn. There’s a number of reasons our OLine hasn’t panned out but I expected better. Hoping that Austin’s guys will be better.

I keep thinking that when it comes down to it, this still looks like a Mike Riley OL - nothing remotely like all the pulling and stuff you saw from Frost's OL at UCF. That's why I keep saying to those who say Frost's offense won't work in the Big Ten: Frost isn't even running his offense at this point! How he gets there from here, and when, is the $10 million question.

Here's hoping the younger OL guys continue to develop as they become upperclassmen. I'm wondering if the seniors are gonna stick around for their covid freebie year or not.

• Plus1 3

32 minutes ago, URSS said:

Jurgens has continually hurt the team with bad snaps and yet he still plays.  If he is a great blocker, then shift him to playing a guard or tackle.  Surely, there is one lineman who can snap the ball!  
What do the players think when Jurgens continually screws up but still starts?  It really tells the players that the coaches don’t demand excellence or enforce standards.   I think that was Solich’s downfall too based upon some rumors I heard.  

Why don’t we go under center if there is no other option? 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

What I've learned is that it's a fools errand to hope that this program will ever be "back." You have to just treat it like a theater at a comedy of errors; the fun in Husker football at this point is seeing how bad things can get, making new lows, and speculating as to how much Frost can personally contribute to putting the final nail in the coffin.

-Starting a sprinter-turned-quarterback who commits four turnovers and leads the team to a crushing loss against Illinois? Check!

-Favoring a center who can't snap the f****** ball to save his life?! Check again!

How is there "progress" when you're 1-4? If we had played the non-cons, Cincinnati would have wiped the turf with us and we'd be 3-5 at this point. Thinking about who we'll get for that last cross-divisional game is absolute L-O-L. If we draw Rutgers and Vedral shreds us it will really all have come full circle.

You can't assume we'd be 3-5 at this point if we had a normal season. That's idiotic.

• Plus1 1

I had to watch game later because I had other stuff going on.  I had several people tell me this game was different and they had a chance to win.  

This game was no different than anything I’ve seen this year.

offense

-AM holds the ball way too long

-AM throws to receivers at the conclusion of their routes.

-how hard is it to snap a football

-if they could throw the ball down field it’d open up the offense for some of the RB talent.

-I love LM, but just stop putting him at QB already.

-since I had the luxury of stopping and rewinding the game I saw something else that concerns me.  There were multiple occasions where they do their fake snap and look to the sideline.  Iowa had blitzes coming from the outside.  They did not change their blitzes after the sideline look.  There was no one within 15 yards of the receiver but we don’t throw to them.

-we like to run stretch run/plays at pressure.

defense

-there’s a few safeties that like to hit.

-crossing routes and pick plays kill the secondary.

-if a RB gets past the first level he’s getting 6-8.  I haven’t quite figured out what’s missing, but there’s no one there.

-guys that drop off into coverage in play action are always 2-3 steps behind.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I have a better idea: cut out the middleman. 

It is getting to that point. I learned that apathy is just around the corner if something doesn’t change. Defenses just have to key on our QB or WanDale to shut us down. 
Also that our collective estimation of what Frost could accomplish here was way to high. It could also be that we totally under estimated the extent of the rebuilding. But what I’ve seen hasn’t given me much hope for the years to come 

• Plus1 1

I learned it’s pretty bad when you are getting slammed by an opposing teams kicker. He says something along the lines of we are worried about winning games at Iowa not growing mustaches 

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Iowa-Hawkeyes-kicker-Keith-Duncan-rips-Nebraska-Huskers-Scott-Frost-Kirk-Ferentz-155517590/?fbclid=IwAR0yLoUA28i5n-tR0kdcAr5AUVD607NtPJvDRoLzHwVCgKRCgAlAbCU7sfI

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, URSS said:

That's what I'm thinking.  If you love his athleticism, great!  Find a place for him to use it that is "good" for the team.

15 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

To me, our issues our with the O line play. They don’t get any push and their technique isnt very good. If we can get that fixed, we could be much much better. I would move farniok to center and jurgens to guard. 

I'd have him drop the weight and switch him to linebacker.  I think that was his natural position?  He's athletic and tough.  The center experiment hasn't worked out at all.  Moving him to the line, gaining all that weight, the injuries, the bad snaps, etc.  I don't think it's all Jurgens fault.  He just not cut out to be a lineman.

• Fire 1