*Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.

When rumors first surfaced that Speilman was leaving, everyone shoved them as hearsay. Then he decided to go be a third string receiver over staying here. Spielman leaving was a huge hit as we had a horrible receiving core this year. If Wandale ends up leaving then our offense is gone. Wandale is the only reliable offense we have. The guy is a real competitor. If he believes that this core of coaches are not capable of turning things around, why would he waste his future playing for a team with three losing seasons in a row. The fact is that Frost’s current record is a huge setback towards recruiting and keeping good quality players. Let’s face the facts. Today’s youth are very entitled and they want to win without putting forth the effort. That is why so many players transfer the minute they are not selected as starters. This was not the case in the last decade. Nowadays, good players want to play for winning teams. Not many are willing to play for a team with a losing record three years in a row. Until we start winning some games, we can’t get any stability and the fear of losing good quality players will be a constant one. If we lose to Rutgers, I would not be surprised if several players enter the transfer portal. I am not saying that the Wandale rumors are true. I am just saying that it won’t surprise me if he or others pack up their bags and leave. That is the danger of taking so long to turn things around, especially when zero progress is accomplished year after year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Departures were inevitable given the program's struggles.  As I have said many times though, this program's problems are not the result of one player or position, and cannot be resolved by adding or subtracting a player.  With no course or direction, players start to feel as if there are no attainable goals any longer and apathy sets in.  Already weak discipline all but disappears.  

Without a doubt, Wandale would be a huge loss, and not because he is a great athlete, but because he has the makings of a future leader.  This is what the team is lacking today; leaders who demand respect, can inspire and who drive results (player discipline).  "Caring" about the program is just a baseline, but demanding better performance and then again expecting to see it on Saturday is next level.  

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

When rumors first surfaced that Speilman was leaving, everyone shoved them as hearsay. Then he decided to go be a third string receiver over staying here. Spielman leaving was a huge hit as we had a horrible receiving core this year. If Wandale ends up leaving then our offense is gone. Wandale is the only reliable offense we have. The guy is a real competitor. If he believes that this core of coaches are not capable of turning things around, why would he waste his future playing for a team with three losing seasons in a row. The fact is that Frost’s current record is a huge setback towards recruiting and keeping good quality players. Let’s face the facts. Today’s youth are very entitled and they want to win without putting forth the effort. That is why so many players transfer the minute they are not selected as starters. This was not the case in the last decade. Nowadays, good players want to play for winning teams. Not many are willing to play for a team with a losing record three years in a row. Until we start winning some games, we can’t get any stability and the fear of losing good quality players will be a constant one. If we lose to Rutgers, I would not be surprised if several players enter the transfer portal. I am not saying that the Wandale rumors are true. I am just saying that it won’t surprise me if he or others pack up their bags and leave. That is the danger of taking so long to turn things around, especially when zero progress is accomplished year after year.

Ah yes, the classic get off ma lawn, back in my day appearance.  

Ill give u one thing, we wont see consistent top performers until we start winning.  We will prolly suffer with some transfers but thats not a reflection of todays generation- kids been transferring for decades out of piss poor situations which is exactly what we find ourselves standing in right now. Perhaps the transfer portal has made it easier with less repercussions, but thats on the NCAA and powers that be for making that call.

News flash, kids 30 years ago also prioritized playing for winning teams.  The only difference is we were once that and how we're cellar dwellers looking up to everyone else 

5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Departures were inevitable given the program's struggles.  As I have said many times though, this program's problems are not the result of one player or position, and cannot be resolved by adding or subtracting a player.  With no course or direction, players start to feel as if there are no attainable goals any longer and apathy sets in.  Already weak discipline all but disappears.  

Without a doubt, Wandale would be a huge loss, and not because he is a great athlete, but because he has the makings of a future leader.  This is what the team is lacking today; leaders who demand respect, can inspire and who drive results (player discipline).  "Caring" about the program is just a baseline, but demanding better performance and then again expecting to see it on Saturday is next level.  

I think the bold speaks to a lot of the problems.  What is the "direction" of the program. We see "progress" in one area (the defense for example) but continue to see the craptastic stuff week in and week out.  Throw in the presser with Frost saying AM sat out a day and it makes you scratch your head even more.  He (Frost) decides to air it out against a team that is 111th against the run.  In the wind and cold with a QB with a hurt(ing) shoulder.  And then has him by design or scrambles, rush more than our "starting" RB.....The team sees this. Hell we are talking about it on the board and I am sure the kids see it even more.  No direction. No plan.  

Then throw in the outside perception of different set of rules for different players (I think this is the cause of what @Red Rogue) alluded to causing some issues.  Just a lot of concerns from Jurgens starting last year, Farniok moving over when he was hurt instead of Will (if he's not better that's on Austin), Mo, Fleming, Mo last  year over Mills, Bell over Oz before that etc....Noah leaving.....Just a lot of smoke.

End of the day, Frost has a dumpster fire on his hands.  And, IMHO non-connected view, created a lot of it.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Red Rogue said:

Got some bad news today from someone inside the program. Looks like a lot of players are planning on leaving including Wandale, Warner, Stoll.

Complaints from a player stated Frost’s ego is out of control, there is no communication from the coaching staff to the players, and players are afraid to make mistakes.

Aww.... Don't worry....   Its gonna be okay. 

Evrything gone be okay :)

tenor.gif

These guys and more leaving, if it turns out to be true, won't surprise me in the least. With losing what, 37 players in the last 3 years it has become expected rather than a surprise. And I don't buy into the entitlement argument. All schools have transfers and players that leave but nothing to the extent we've seen under HCSF. Something is not right with this program and the results can be seen on the field as well as the never ending attrition.

• Plus1 3

Looks like we’ve got a couple that actually think things today (as relates to football players) are the same as they’ve always been. Newsflash, the sport has changed and players, good players, are not willing to put in the pine riding time that used to be common. So somebody phrasing that as “young players today” is not necessarily wrong. The rules have changed, numbers have changed and players now, more than ever before, want to see the field and are less willing to bide their time. The days of putting in 2 or 3 years while waiting their turn to start are long gone. Add in the transfer portal and it only gets worse.

Team struggling to win....transfer.

Player thinks he’s better than he is....transfer.

Player is better than his supporting cast....transfer.

Player isn’t very good, won’t put in the work, blah blah....transfer.

CFB is now basically the worst parts of the NFL.

Get off my lawn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

There's about 200 players in the portal as of tonight. There aren't 200 spots open across the entire P5 after Wednesday when the high school players sign. Players need to be better educated that the grass is not always greener just because something exists that makes it easy to leave and broadcast your name to the rest of college football programs that you can be contacted. In most cases the players that enter the portal end up going to a lower level school and many are never heard from again. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Im not young, but can we stop with the youth being entitled?

Some are, some aren't,  same as everyother generation 

Completely disagree with you...I have been teaching at a university for 23 years and myself and many of my colleagues agree that today’s youth is very entitled and inpatient. They want quick results and are not wanting to spend too much time figuring things out. It is not their fault. The technology revolution they grew up in makes getting things done much easier and that is how they are used to doing things. That is why it is taking so long to change the culture in this team. I am not saying that transfers did not happen in the 80s and 90s but if you did a search, you will probably find that the number of transfers over the past decade is significantly higher than in the 80s and 90s. Regardless, every program deals with this issue as it is universal. That is why it falls on the shoulders of the highly paid coaches to retain these players and build an environment that supports them and keeps them motivated. The number of transfers over the past three years is alarming. At the beginning, we all thought, good riddance. We don’t want quitters in our team. However, after three consecutive losing seasons, one must wonder if Frost and his coaches are not partially responsible for this phenomenon.

10 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

These guys and more leaving, if it turns out to be true, won't surprise me in the least. With losing what, 37 players in the last 3 years it has become expected rather than a surprise. And I don't buy into the entitlement argument. All schools have transfers and players that leave but nothing to the extent we've seen under HCSF. Something is not right with this program and the results can be seen on the field as well as the never ending attrition.

I will agree with this if and when the attrition continues at the same pace. But it’s pretty hard to fault HCSF with the numbers from the first two years. Riley left some soft players that didn’t want to work. Of infinitely more concern is if guys Frost signed continue the trend. Based on some of the early departures this year, there might be a problem. Wandale would be a huge loss but if that happens we need to keep in mind that is nothing like the Spielman situation.

We have to be the only fan base that complains when middling seniors and walk-on level receivers actually move on with their life.

26 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Looks like we’ve got a couple that actually think things today (as relates to football players) are the same as they’ve always been. Newsflash, the sport has changed and players, good players, are not willing to put in the pine riding time that used to be common. So somebody phrasing that as “young players today” is not necessarily wrong. The rules have changed, numbers have changed and players now, more than ever before, want to see the field and are less willing to bide their time. The days of putting in 2 or 3 years while waiting their turn to start are long gone. Add in the transfer portal and it only gets worse.

Team struggling to win....transfer.

Player thinks he’s better than he is....transfer.

Player is better than his supporting cast....transfer.

Player isn’t very good, won’t put in the work, blah blah....transfer.

CFB is now basically the worst parts of the NFL.

Get off my lawn.

I mean your first paragraph is the exact opposite description of wandale’s experience to this point.

and then u just listed every other plausible scenario besides transferring off a winning team while being a starter.  

Newsflash- it has nothing to do with kids today, you just feel like it is because your team is utter s#!t week to week and wanna blame “how a generation operates” instead of just admitting this appears to be a sinking ship that people are done with. 

You don’t see this at successful schools. Sure some transfers here and there- so not sure why it’s not a generational problem there yet, for Nebraska, kids are just different these days.

stay on your lawn and tell some more stories how you walked uphill to school and from school, in the freezing rain while carrying boulders in your back pack back in your day 

• Plus1 1
  • Enhance changed the title to *Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.
  • Enhance locked this topic