What did we learn? Illinois Edition

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Time for Trev to start making a list

And checking it twice? 

3 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Special teams has improved.

GameDay: two missed pats, safety, consistently fielding the ball horribly.

Glad we violated NCAA rules to give them extra coaching with the analysts. 

Frost's presser pissed me off.  He said they came out and done stuff that they weren't expecting and hadn't seen.  Jesus,  did they not go and watch film of Bert at Wiscy?  He literally ran his offense to a T and we didn't do s#!t to stop it the second half.  That is piss poor coaching on our part. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Martinez was making back some ground in his completion percentage and overall mojo on the drive where he hits Toure on the left sideline for a big first down...but Martin picks the guy.

Super hard to be down on Martin after the game he had - 103 yards receiving and a touchdown. Kid has so much heart.

But there you go...you get some stuff going and then an inopportune penalty takes it back. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

Frost's presser pissed me off.  He said they came out and done stuff that they weren't expecting and hadn't seen.  Jesus,  did they not go and watch film of Bert at Wiscy?  He literally ran his offense to a T and we didn't do s#!t to stop it the second half.  That is piss poor coaching on our part. 

Wow. Horrible. 

7 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Fwiw (and I’m not sure it makes it any better) he was talking about their defense lol:

• Plus1 1

I don’t even care about the safety and missed PT- it’s more of an indicator of a poor program. Just literally, having those points would not have won the game. They didn’t score on the free kick, so it really wasn’t a difference maker. Like we were going to have a sustained drive at that point anyway. 

I care about the play calling and the clock management and the penalties.   This coach needs to go and this coach wants to go. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

No s#!t? You mean they didn’t come out and do all the exact same stuff they’ve done before, what a concept. Is that cheating? 

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Fwiw (and I’m not sure it makes it any better) he was talking about their defense lol:

Boy, that is terrible. They guessed wrong……against a first year staff with arguably one of the worst teams in the conference. Too bad that in football adapting, overcoming and making changes during a game just can’t be accomplished. I feel so sorry that they made a bad guess weeks ago. Maybe they’ll guess better in the future since actual coaching must not be allowed.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I don’t even care about the safety and missed PT- it’s more of an indicator of a poor program. Just literally, having those points would not have won the game. They didn’t score on the free kick, so it really wasn’t a difference maker. Like we were going to have a sustained drive at that point anyway. 

I care about the play calling and the clock management and the penalties.   This coach needs to go and this coach wants to go. 

Not sure I agree with your analysis, there, Norm (lame Fargo reference)...

Those things are definitely an indicator of a poor program, as you suggest.  But those 4 points were just part of the 18-25 points NU donated to UI with their mistakes.  I also suggest that it may have contributed to some fatigue by the NU defense, as Illinois got two possessions in a row, while the NU D was on the field in that 95 degree heat.  And, NU would have had the ball at the 20 yard line, instead of giving up the free kick.  After the missed FG, NU actually had two of their best drives of the game - leading a TD and a FG.  

It all adds up to mistakes you are not likely to see any other team make all season - let alone in one game.