What did we learn? Fordham Edition

seaofred92

Yeah, the biggest thing to me was the smiles.  It's gotta be fun for the players. 

I don't know much about Frost's personal life, but it actually does affect the team and he is a human being, so Scott taking a bit of joy from his wife and kid joining him on the field is only a good thing. 

I was inclined not to learn anything from a Fordham game, but there I was on a Saturday enjoying myself. I'm not going to apologize to anyone. 

I'm going to assume the team made adjustments, and that's why things got better on both sides of the ball after the first quarter. We won't be able to get away with slow starts against better teams but we also don't need to go away from an offensive strategy if we do fall behind. Unless you're behind by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, you go with your best offense, not a pass-heavy hurry-up. Nebraska ran a panic offense almost the whole game against Illinois. 

Given some breathing room and the chance to grind Fordham down, Frost still drew up lots of slow-developing 15 - 30 yard routes to the wide receivers. They worked this game and that was fun, but I still don't think TE and RBs were incorporated as they will need to be.

Toure did a great job of getting open and catching the ball, but am I wrong for thinking Alante Brown looks like a bigger x-factor? 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?

I'm insinuating that Liewer slowed down because he thought Martinez would overthrow him which is preposterous.  Long story short, I don't think he's the guy.  This is the 2nd straight week him not running through a route has cost Nebraska a TD.  Just put Betts in and get this thing done with.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4

I didn't take much away from this game. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't game. Blow the opponent out and you do what you were supposed to do. Win a close game (or lose... *shudder*) and you've got a lot of questions/concerns coming out.

Quite frankly, we've been in this situation so many times before. It was a strong, relatively complete game. They looked good because most everything went their way. The talent advantage was tangible, particularly along Nebraska's offensive line vs. their defensive line, which pretty much set the tone for everything else to look good. But there's very little confidence that they won't revert back to their demons against Buffalo.

So, what matters most to me is what they build on moving forward. Based on history, they're incredibly likely to play against Buffalo like they played against Illinois. They have got to find ways to be more consistent when raw talent advantages aren't there.

• Plus1 2

17 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Jesus, just let people enjoy the win. We did what we were supposed to do.

Are we all required to feel exactly like you do after a game in order to be a good fan or good person in your eyes? Many of us have different standards as to where teams with our basket of players- experience- facilities, should be at. You're entitled to your standard and feelings, others are entitled to theirs.

I dont recall anyone on here berating you about cool aide drinking- when their knowledge of the game leads them to believe such celebratory praise is unwarranted at this juncture. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Our special teams are our biggest weakness and they will cost us some close games. Even against an FCS opponent, they did not do anything special. The miscues at the start of the game would have been devastating if we were playing Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU, Minnie, or Michigan. We cannot afford to fall behind and start chasing the game. AM is not built for that. Our special teams are not built for that, and our coaches do not make the right calls when we are in panic mode. After 4 years of seeing no improvement in special teams, you would think that someone who is paid $5 million a year would realize it is time to hire a GOOD special teams coach. If Iowa can recruit a good special teams coach, why can’t we? May be Frost does not have any buddies who are special teams coaches? Do a NATIONAL SEARCH for Husker Nation’s sakes.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay…?

But how does that translate to UNI dominating the Patriot League? Iowa State beat UNI by 6 points. Nebraska beat a Patriot league team by 45. I don’t see any connections at all.

If Cy wants to gloat after they handle Iowa and we don’t, Im good with that. But I’d be keeping my head down after my 7th ranked team eeked out a 6 pt victory over UNI while Nebraska actually handled business over an inferior opponent.

Wait Iowa State fans are running their mouths? After beating UNI by 6? Lololololol. They better hope the Hawkeyes have their annual sh*t the bed game next week

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

That TD was a triple dude. Two guys were unblocked. 2 reads & 3 options:

1. Give RB
  2. QB Keep
  3. Pitch

You don't leave two edge guys unblocked on any other play but that.

Coach- you are right, I stand corrected. 

I just went and watched it on TV. I thought with all the window dressing Frost likes to do and AMs problem with even reading Zone read correctly- that this was a double with a triple look- it isn't. When I'm in the stadium I get to see the whole field- TV doesn't show that. TV gets the good replays with tight shots. I don't see those.  

Yes, Allen in the slot blocks LB. WR on CB, T steps down. Reading the EMLOS and optioning the Safety. AND they did do a give to Stepp on the one play where the EMLOS tried to play in no mans land and didn't step down. With the OT stepping down, the EMLOS USUALLY squeezes hard, and he did every time but once. Martinez read them all correctly. 

Allen did a great job and even aligned opposite the option side and STILL got over to block the playside LB when formationed to the opposite side of the play. So its not always to the side where Allen is in the slot. Lots of things NU can do off of this with Allen and Manning. For me, this was the highpoint of the game. 

Pretty nice blocking by the WRs on these. Manning did a nice job on one of them. Good analysis coach. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Coach- you are right, I stand corrected. 

I just went and watched it on TV. I thought with all the window dressing Frost likes to do and AMs problem with even reading Zone read correctly- that this was a double with a triple look- it isn't. When I'm in the stadium I get to see the whole field- TV doesn't show that. TV gets the good replays with tight shots. I don't see those.  

Yes, Allen in the slot blocks LB. WR on CB, T steps down. Reading the EMLOS and optioning the Safety. AND they did do a give to Stepp on the one play where the EMLOS tried to play in no mans land and didn't step down. With the OT stepping down, the EMLOS USUALLY squeezes hard, and he did every time but once. Martinez read them all correctly. 

Allen did a great job and even aligned opposite the option side and STILL got over to block the playside LB when formationed to the opposite side of the play. So its not always to the side where Allen is in the slot. Lots of things NU can do off of this with Allen and Manning. For me, this was the highpoint of the game. 

Pretty nice blocking by the WRs on these. Manning did a nice job on one of them. Good analysis coach. 

I think there are definitely some called gives, though. Several times, if AM was actually making a read, he should have pulled it (on regular read option).

Also, no bad snaps, right? Way to go, Jurgy!