New Offensive Coordinator options?

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Before you were pessimistic because you were worried about running Army's exact offense.  When confronted with the possibility that might not happen you moved the goalposts.   Which leads me to believe your bias will leave you pessimistic about it regardless. 

I don't think it's moving the goalposts. But I guess you're true that I would be pessimistic about the Army OC regardless, because I don't think it will work any way. The bias is against him as OC, imagining that there's little chance that will work out well. If he runs full triple option I don't think that will work well, and if he runs something other than that (the only offensive scheme he's ever coached for almost two decades) I don't see that working out well either.

If you said "What if we get Mike Leach as OC?" I would say I don't think his air raid will work. If you then say "What if we get Mike Leach as OC but he runs a ground n' pound rushing attack?" I would then say I don't see why we would get the air raid guy to run an offense he doesn't know how to run.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't think it's moving the goalposts. But I guess you're true that I would be pessimistic about the Army OC regardless, because I don't think it will work any way. The bias is against him as OC, imagining that there's little chance that will work out well. If he runs full triple option I don't think that will work well, and if he runs something other than that (the only offensive scheme he's ever coached for almost two decades) I don't see that working out well either.

If you said "What if we get Mike Leach as OC?" I would say I don't think his air raid will work. If you then say "What if we get Mike Leach as OC but he runs a ground n' pound rushing attack?" I would then say I don't see why we would get the air raid guy to run an offense he doesn't know how to run.

I'm sure the Army OC will really help bring in an elite qb transfer too 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

You don't think the hire is going to have to meld his offense with what we already have in place?  That wasn't the impression I got at all.

I would argue Korn and/or Davis would be the smoothest transition since we've already started installing more option this year.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You don't think the hire is going to have to meld his offense with what we already have in place?  That wasn't the impression I got at all.

I would argue Korn and/or Davis would be the smoothest transition since we've already started installing more option this year.

Coastal basically runs our offense with superior design. Also why Frost "borrowed" a few of their concepts this season. We just don't have an adequate OL or an accurate QB, or legit RBs etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Coastal basically runs our offense with superior design. Also why Frost "borrowed" a few of their concepts this season. We just don't have an adequate OL or an accurate QB, or legit RBs etc. 

Maybe we should fire our current offensive staff and bring in guys who know how to teach it.

Wait a minute. 

9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I'm sure others here and elsewhere have said this, but I'm a little less concerned with the OC than I am with the OLine coach. It's time that the OLine becomes a strength in this program and not a weakness. And no scheme is going to work consistently for them with the current state of their OLine.

I also think it's a given that whomever is hired as OC will be someone that shares a lot of philosophical and structural ideologies with Frost. That doesn't necessarily mean the OC will know or even run the explicit offense that Frost would run, but I wager they'll be more similar than different.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

well, that’s a reach.  Frost barely scratches the surface with option and the run game of any design really.  Run plays are at most complementary - token - almost afterthoughts - to our base passing orientation.  
i admit I’ve only watched a bunch of highlights and a fraction of Coastsl offense film.  But I definitely see what I feel are the missing ingredients in frost’s offense over the past 4 years.  We don’t need or want 100% wishbone circa 1980s OU.   But after 4 years of 100% Frost the throw man. I’m sure we need a big injection of base run with 2 backs behind the O line excluding the QB.  Maybe more snaps under center and a serious effort to run the dam ball until forced to throw on 3rd and 4+ , not 3rd and 10-15.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1