Frost Warning has been issued

6 hours ago, junior4949 said:

You literally just named every coach we've hired since TO who by the way had never been a head coach at a major program.  This is a strawman argument.  Very few people have any idea who we offered before any of the coaches you listed.  You can offer every thoroughbred in the herd, but it matters little if none will come here.  

Another thing that really needs to be considered here is the fact we don't even know who the thoroughbreds are with the changes of the last couple of years.  With the transfer portal and now the NIL, some coaches who were once considered thoroughbreds will fail.  Some coaches who were just considered mediocre will shine.  College football players have basically become professional athletes.  Great coaches in the past might not be great coaches in the future.  

Great post. Agree 100%

Scott Frost had an amazing season at UCF that made him millions of dollars on the backs of Nebraska. It is pretty evident that he is a horrible coach and has drug down the school and is the laughing stock of the Big 10.

Because of his contract, it will be $7.5M less to fire him after October 1st. Please fire him then so that thee is plenty of time to find a replacement without waiting for the end of the year coaching shuffle. Although the team sucks, there is enough prestige with the program and the next coach up will be able to write his own check. Your next coach will be far better than any coach in your recent past (19 years worth).

The school, the team, and the fans deserve better.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

Scott Frost had an amazing season at UCF that made him millions of dollars on the backs of Nebraska. It is pretty evident that he is a horrible coach and has drug down the school and is the laughing stock of the Big 10.

Because of his contract, it will be $7.5M less to fire him after October 1st. Please fire him then so that thee is plenty of time to find a replacement without waiting for the end of the year coaching shuffle. Although the team sucks, there is enough prestige with the program and the next coach up will be able to write his own check. Your next coach will be far better than any coach in your recent past (19 years worth).

I'm pretty confident in saying that there will be no release prior to October. Trev Alberts played this reasonably and smartly. Scott's being given legitimate chances to work through issues and attain a winning record this year. Candidates will be appreciative of that more inclined to entertain coming onboard.

It remains to be seen what transpires though at this juncture we're not getting indications of things being turned around. I do agree that waiting until the very end of the season or afterword wouldn't be in the program's interest if/when a change occurs. And, fans do indeed deserve much better!  

• Plus1 1

I feel bad for Frost (I know I know he makes a lot of money) but this is not even in the ballpark of what him or any of imagined as "failing" if he came here.

I would have thought and did think that at worst he would be Bo.(mostly because so many people love to rip on Bo and tell everyone how bad of a coach he was)

Now it is two weeks of lame games that really can't do much to help, followed by the OU game.  Only the biggest of Frost fans will be okay with a close home loss in that game.  

19 hours ago, CyHawk said:

To the bolded:  if past performance is indicative of future results, we are essentially screwed.  I know people like to bag on Bo because as we've been told even a monkey could win 9 games, but I highly doubt the next coach wins 9 games next year.  The program has issues.   

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

If, by some grace of God, we end up 3-1 after 4 weeks, the feelings around the program will be very different.  Especially, if NW is undefeated.

Stranger things have happened. That is definitely what I'd prefer over the inevitable sh** show that will ensue otherwise.  

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Scariest thing about a new coach, the Transfer portal. 

Actually the transfer portal can also be a blessing for a new coach if it's a name that can draw in new transfer portal recruits.  Gone are the days where a new coach would need a minimum of 3 years to get the players needed to be successful.  With the right coach bringing in the right staff and transfer players, the program can be turned around pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If, by some grace of God, we end up 3-1 after 4 weeks, the feelings around the program will be very different.  Especially, if NW is undefeated.

NW could easily get to 4-0, they have Duke, S. Illinois and Miami (OH) and now they have confidence, especially Hilinksi.  I don't think that will say anything about their overall quality come the heart of the conference schedule, but fans will definitely lean on it.

8 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Actually the transfer portal can also be a blessing for a new coach if it's a name that can draw in new transfer portal recruits.  Gone are the days where a new coach would need a minimum of 3 years to get the players needed to be successful.  With the right coach bringing in the right staff and transfer players, the program can be turned around pretty quickly.

In deed.  Possible, especially if the roster is ‘close’.   This team is not bereft of talent.  It’s short on experienced, multi year starter type talent at a number of positions.  The scholarship numbers put a limit in numbers as well.  However, with the NIL booster $, scholarships are not as valuable either.  You can get big recruits without scholarships effectively. 

A big splash nationally ‘top’ coach can pull in big recruits and turn a struggling program like NU or UT or Tennessee or FSU quickly.  But there are limits on the booster bucks I suppose.  It’s hard to know.