Who should our next HC be?

14 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

You have Ohio State as one of 2 examples so no you just gave one example and a g5 one at that. Frost also won a g5 championship with his offense.  If you want to say some thing say it. Don't do this question you know the answer to bulls#!t. I will prove why it's wrong and you can ignore it like you have everything else. 

You also keep talking about what we ran that didn't work but we have ran a lot of different offense since our last conference championship including some really bad years of running basically Osborne's offense, running heavily under Bo including a lot of option, running heavily 2 out of the 3 Riley years including some option, running heavily under Frost including a lot of options and taking concepts directly from Coastal. 

We don't have to run the exact same offense as OSU and i dont see anyone suggesting that , but guess what OSU and all those other schools are also going to try to get all the good HBs and Oline also. It does not matter what we run we have to eventually go get recruits from those guys. Adding to that those QBs that were fast and just ran option in HS are being taught to throw at least decent before they get to college and are high ranked recruits that every school wants now. 

We may not run the same offense, but we keep recruiting against OSU and Michigan and we lose 99% of the time. We need to stop wasting time and resources going after 5* guys like Dylan Raiola and 4/5* receivers, because they don't come here.

With the line, it's more about coaching, strength, and technique than stars, and wouldn't be a problem in a Flexbone type offense. 

I still don't get the reticence on this board for option football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

I'll be honest, I haven't liked that west coast scissor-draw dancing bear crap since Callahan brought it to Nebraska, and I think I prefer the Solich pro-sets with an improved passing game over the triple option. The quarterback scramble shouldn't be half your running game. I just don't like the idea of smashing up my best QB and left wondering what to do next.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We may not run the same offense, but we keep recruiting against OSU and Michigan and we lose 99% of the time. We need to stop wasting time and resources going after 5* guys like Dylan Raiola and 4/5* receivers, because they don't come here.

With the line, it's more about coaching, strength, and technique than stars, and wouldn't be a problem in a Flexbone type offense. 

Running your quarterback that much is not a good idea in 2022. No one does this, there is a reason it's that way. You think you're smarter than all the coaches in FBS besides the ones that have no other option like the service academies?

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'll be honest, I haven't liked that west coast scissor-draw dancing bear crap since Callahan brought it to Nebraska, and I think I prefer the Solich pro-sets with an improved passing game over the triple option. The quarterback scramble shouldn't be half your running game. I just don't like the idea of smashing up my best QB and left wondering what to do next.

You're essentially describing Tim Beck's offense.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

To defend Chadwell and his version of the option, he does a lot of PA passing as well...They have thrown  more than NU and also more rushing attempts. (some uptempo to acct for this)Currently about 100 more rush attempts than passing.  Have thrown for about 500 yards less and rushed for about 800 yards more.  It is a "run first", but they are more than capable of moving the ball through the air or the ground.  People see option and think they are a one trick pony.  

I still think that in a system like his, as he's oft mentioned, they recruit kids to fit it.  Develop them.  Basically acknowledging he is not going to get the same caliber of athlete as the bigger programs.  (just had his best recruit class at #70 nationally).  I think that'd obviously increase at NU. NU will never go toe to toe with the top 20 programs until we start to win.  Chadwell's O would help us do this.  Imagine a 2 back set with AG and AJ...Receivers in Palmer, Washington and Brown.  With a mobile QB that is throwing at 67% and is 22-4 in TD to INT's....Granted that's not in P5 or the B1G, but why would that success not translate in some way shape or form.  Dude has been a HC for roughly 13 years.  At every level save P5.  Has 4 years at CC vs Frost's 2 and only 2 years at UCF as a HC.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3
2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

You're essentially describing Tim Beck's offense.

If I remember right Solich ran under center, the shotgun, the pistol, did a lot of pitches, and sometimes ran the triple-option. The passing game from Crouch was every bit as good as what we've seen lately despite the disinformation campaign. We can't even get a pass off with the garbage we're running now.
And let's not forget the most under-rated coach in college ball either....Charlie McBride.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Frank Solich's last two years:
2002 - 27.4 ppg, 373.1 ypg

2003 - 24.8 ppg, 345.0 ypg

Bill Callahan's last two years:

2006 - 30.6 ppg, 414.6 ypg

2007 - 33.4 ppg, 468.2 ypg

You're free to like the poorer offense if you like but I'd prefer the one that gets more points and yards.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Frank Solich's last two years:
2002 - 27.4 ppg, 373.1 ypg

2003 - 24.8 ppg, 345.0 ypg

Bill Callahan's last two years:

2006 - 30.6 ppg, 414.6 ypg

2007 - 33.4 ppg, 468.2 ypg

You're free to like the poorer offense if you like but I'd prefer the one that gets more points and yards.

Why'd you pick those years?

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Why'd you pick those years?

Callahan is pretty obvious - after he had a chance to get players in for his offense.

Solich's lived off Osborne's recruits for awhile and had Crouch to bail him out.  After he ran out of those, his offenses were pretty bad.

The longer a coach is there the better indication you should have of what they're actually capable of, on their own merits.

Two years for each so the it was more than just one year.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Callahan is pretty obvious - after he had a chance to get players in for his offense.

Solich's lived off Osborne's recruits for awhile and had Crouch to bail him out.  After he ran out of those, his offenses were pretty bad.

The longer a coach is there the better indication you should have of what they're actually capable of, on their own merits.

Two years for each so the it was more than just one year.

Solich 1999 offense...34.2 ppg....392.2ypg
Solich 2000 offense...41.5ppg...459.9ypg

I'll take Solich's offense with Crouch

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We have been running option football most years. In fact most teams do some form of option now and I havent seen a single person say they was a completely non option offense. I think most people want a balanced offense. We have seen offenses that relied mostly on run. Inevitably that gets shut down because there will always be some teams that will force you to try and beat them in the air and it gets really ugly. Everyone is pushing back on the idea that we go even further into a rushing shell and limit the areas where we can beat defenses. Its def ok to be a run heavy offense but you cant be just that in p5 and expect to compete at the highest levels.