*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

29 minutes ago, Hagg said:

A lot in this thread about MR's recruiting.  Not much about his coaching abilities and dismal record against ranked opponents.  I love what I see him doing and hear him saying, but... yeah.

If you're going to categorize his record against ranked opponents as "dismal", I doubt much of anything said about his coaching abilities will mean much to you.

His first year at Temple he was 0-3 against ranked teams.  Dismal.  Played 12-1 Fiesta Bowl champion UCF to 3 points.  Temple was ahead 36-29 with just over a minute to play.  Dismal.

Beat a ranked East Carolina team his second year.  Dismal.

In his third year, Temple was ahead of #9 Notre Dame with just over two minutes to play.  They beat #21 Memphis.  Dismal.

In his fifth year, they beat the only ranked team they played.  Dismal.

In his first year at Baylor, they lost to #3 Oklahoma by one score.  Dismal.  

In his third year, They lost three games: #10 OU by 3, #6 OU by 3 (overtime) and #5 Georgia by 12.  Dismal.

I know I for one will be incredibly disappointed if, in his third year here, we're 11-3, losing to three Top 10 teams by a combined 18 points.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Hagg said:

A lot in this thread about MR's recruiting.  Not much about his coaching abilities and dismal record against ranked opponents.  I love what I see him doing and hear him saying, but... yeah.

Good thing then that he cant lose to ranked teams in June.

BTW, he has yet to lose more than 1 conference game a year in Years 3 and 4 of a program, despite only winning 1 conference game in his first year.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you're going to categorize his record against ranked opponents as "dismal", I doubt much of anything said about his coaching abilities will mean much to you.

His first year at Temple he was 0-3 against ranked teams.  Dismal.  Played 12-1 Fiesta Bowl champion UCF to 3 points.  Temple was ahead 36-29 with just over a minute to play.  Dismal.

In his third year, Temple was ahead of #9 Notre Dame with just over two minutes to play.  They beat #21 Memphis.  Dismal.

In his third year, They lost three games: #10 OU by 3, #6 OU by 3 (overtime) and #5 Georgia by 12.  Dismal.

I know I for one will be incredibly disappointed if, in his third year here, we're 11-3, losing to three Top 10 teams by a combined 18 points.

People spouting the 'bad record against ranked teams' narrative have no time to understand that most of the ranked teams he faced were in his earliest rebuild years.

• TBH 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

People spouting the 'bad record against ranked teams' narrative have no time to understand that most of the ranked teams he faced were in his earliest rebuild years.

They also don’t take into account whether his team was favored in any of those games.

Even more irritating is they act like he had maxed out at Baylor when really he was called up to the big leagues while he was still rebuilding that program.

Here is a recent article regarding P5 coaches records against ranked teams (with 10 game minimums).  Only 9 of 68 coaches who meet the criteria have a winning record....But Rhule is listed as the 3rd worst....A Temple team he built up from scratch and a Baylor team he brought back from the ashes.  They do mention the obvious that strength of schdule and strength of team (recruiting) factor into this.  As evidenced by the top and bottom of the list.  Here is the article.  

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-rankings-best-worst-power-five-coaches-against--212447833/#2192575

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, lo country said:

Here is a recent article regarding P5 coaches records against ranked teams (with 10 game minimums).  Only 9 of 68 coaches who meet the criteria have a winning record....But Rhule is listed as the 3rd worst....A Temple team he built up from scratch and a Baylor team he brought back from the ashes.  They do mention the obvious that strength of schdule and strength of team (recruiting) factor into this.  As evidenced by the top and bottom of the list.  Here is the article.  

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-rankings-best-worst-power-five-coaches-against--212447833/#2192575

Are people really surprised that he didn't have an amazing record against ranked teams at a program like Temple?  He was only there 4 years and it was a dump of a program when he got there.  He's not going to be recruiting 4 and 5 star players....or even probably a ton of high 3 stars.  Baylor is better in that category, but as Mavric pointed out, look at the ranked teams he lost to and by how much.  He was only there 3 years.

If he can get to those records in 3 years and still trying to beat highly ranked teams while having a respectable, well coached team and recruiting improving.....go for it.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
14 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

"have no time?"  I've got time.. I don't know about the others "spouting the narrative."  Heck I've got lots of time.  Enough time to see the former FROST ALERT! cadre positivity about a coach being lathered with the same (or similar) hope as the lead-up days to the spectacular Scott Frost failures here.  You were quoting his record in .. THAT conference.  And some here were giving analysis that included his resume in other venues.  

My goodness, aren't we as Husker fans the hopeful lot, even those of us who want to take the edge off all the talk about what he's doing and saying before his first season here by pointing out MR's dismal record against ranked teams.

28 minutes ago, Hagg said:

"have no time?"  I've got time.. I don't know about the others "spouting the narrative."  Heck I've got lots of time.  Enough time to see the former FROST ALERT! cadre positivity about a coach being lathered with the same (or similar) hope as the lead-up days to the spectacular Scott Frost failures here.  You were quoting his record in .. THAT conference.  And some here were giving analysis that included his resume in other venues.  

My goodness, aren't we as Husker fans the hopeful lot, even those of us who want to take the edge off all the talk about what he's doing and saying before his first season here by pointing out MR's dismal record against ranked teams.

How many games vs ranked teams was he favored in?

Or do you count Bo Pelini's losses to Missouri and Oklahoma in 2008 the same way you count his losses to UCLA and Wisconsin in later years?

• TBH 1
17 hours ago, Mavric said:

vfrle.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic