Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

He spent one year with Brian Kelly at Cinci and two at ND. That 2012 season (when Alabama killed the Irish in a bowl) was a feather in his cap but he didn't appear to be any kind of defensive genius even with that level of talent. His scheme was simple but his kids seemed to enjoy playing for him.

Just throwing another log on the Bob Diaco bonfire--his attempt at creating a dumbass trophy/rivalry game:

http://deadspin.com/bob-diacos-tenure-at-uconn-deserves-a-meaningless-troph-1790500703

http://deadspin.com/uconns-bob-diaco-has-a-new-name-for-that-rivalry-that-d-1722077475

This attempt was so ham-fisted and asinine, it almost makes the Heroes Trophy look palatable in comparison. Almost.

Some other tidbits from the articles:

re: Television for the AAC:

I got other ideas, too. Send me my agenda, they want to talk about networks, I got all kinds of ideas on networks. Right? Let’s target 6-year-olds to 16-year-olds. How about that? Eventually, they’re going to be 18 to 35. Let’s broadcast our games on Nickelodeon.

Per Deadspin:

Diaco’s ideas weren’t great; his coaching and recruiting abilities sucked, too. That last part might have been what did him in. UConn currently has the worst class in its conference, and nationally, the Huskies rank below UMass. The Minutemen didn’t need to pick a performative fight with a school in Florida in order to achieve similar results.

http://connecticut.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

In short...I'm hoping the whole 'Bob Diaco to Nebraska' thing doesn't happen, or we may see a meltdown on the boards after the 2017 season that will rival Chernobyl. It's like Cosgrove and Banker...times a thousand.

Just throwing another log on the Bob Diaco bonfire--his attempt at creating a dumbass trophy/rivalry game:

http://deadspin.com/bob-diacos-tenure-at-uconn-deserves-a-meaningless-troph-1790500703

http://deadspin.com/uconns-bob-diaco-has-a-new-name-for-that-rivalry-that-d-1722077475

This attempt was so ham-fisted and asinine, it almost makes the Heroes Trophy look palatable in comparison. Almost.

Some other tidbits from the articles:

re: Television for the AAC:

I got other ideas, too. Send me my agenda, they want to talk about networks, I got all kinds of ideas on networks. Right? Let’s target 6-year-olds to 16-year-olds. How about that? Eventually, they’re going to be 18 to 35. Let’s broadcast our games on Nickelodeon.

Per Deadspin:

Diaco’s ideas weren’t great; his coaching and recruiting abilities sucked, too. That last part might have been what did him in. UConn currently has the worst class in its conference, and nationally, the Huskies rank below UMass. The Minutemen didn’t need to pick a performative fight with a school in Florida in order to achieve similar results.

http://connecticut.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

In short...I'm hoping the whole 'Bob Diaco to Nebraska' thing doesn't happen, or we may see a meltdown on the boards after the 2017 season that will rival Chernobyl. It's like Cosgrove and Banker...times a thousand.

Sounds just like a coach Nebraska would hire.

LOL

Read up on the fishcakes article on barstool sports. This guy is more bats*** crazy than mark banker and would not be enthusiastic if he gets the nod. There has to be someone in the NFL with husker ties because the John Parellas find ways to make the most out of UNL.

and the fish cake stuff is some of the more mild mannered stuff he spewed when he was at UConn. The guy was praising our defense for making major improvements after we got blown out at ECU this year by 35 points. The guy is a certified looney toon

What do you mean? He says some unique and eccentric things, sure. But there are highly regarded coaches in this sport who do actual bad things, like drive drunk multiple times, but Bob Diaco makes some bad analogies or says something off-center and break out the scarlet letter for him. He also said it was insane and ridiculous after the ECU game.

I understand the passion, but UConn football woes start and end beyond Bob Diaco. I totally get how UConn fans hold him accountable, but did he hang those asinine "6th Borough"billboards in New York? Philly is closer to NYC than Storrs. That was dumber than any meaningless trophy

Apparently Diaco is a leading candidate for the Arkansas DC job as well.

Saw that too. The article I read said their DB coach Paul Rhodes is expected to be at least co-DC in 2017 so I wonder if that might deter Diaco? It would seem to me a former HC and "proven" (for lack of a better word) coordinator wouldn't want to work side by side with somebody else who was just promoted from within the program, but I have no idea -- maybe that would be a plus in some ways.

Honest question, though: Regardless of whether a guy was successful or unsuccessful as a HC, does that experience normally help and pay dividends if he becomes a coordinator? I'm sure it varies but a lot of people on this board know way more than I do. Does it matter, is it good, can it create problems, or does it generally just depend on who and what the situation is?

paul rhodes has more hc experience and dc experience than diaco does.

I am ok with paying over $1M but never for Diaco. If it was Venables or Aranda I would as they have consistenly shown results. Diaco had one strong year and the rest was mediocre or worse.

People you've mentioned already make north of a million on proven teams. Why would they leave. You've got to be realistic.

I am ok with paying over $1M but never for Diaco. If it was Venables or Aranda I would as they have consistenly shown results. Diaco had one strong year and the rest was mediocre or worse.

Not sure why you are so dead set on using yards per game as your metric to evaluate D coordinators. Diaco, like Belichick, runs a bend don't break defense so the yardage is expected. At the end of the day, points are more important than yards.

• Fire 1