Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

6 hours ago, Undone said:

I wonder if Haarberg is not being coached to tuck it & run after making a couple reads like it seems like the two Martinez's were. Seems like there's maybe more yards and some more 1st down conversions out there if he just runs it after making two reads.

One of his bigger problems though is he has very little pocket presence and doesn’t understand  where to bail out of the pocket very well.   

• Plus1 2

20 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Do they ever have pre-snap reads where HH could one-step drop to a WR when the DB is playing 7-yards off the man? Can’t recall seeing any of that, maybe I’m wrong though.

Getting just 2-3 yards on something like that would keep the defense a little more honest to setup future plays

I know they've done it but TBH I wouldn't be able to tell you which games or approximately how frequently (also, as a minor point of clarity, most pass plays have pre-snap reads... but I think I know what you're getting at).

Along those lines, and this is just my opinion, I'm fairly confident the passing game is being simplified about as much as they feel comfortable doing; meaning, I think a large volume of their called passing plays are already dependent upon a specific read and a quick decision, and/or designed to go to specific players. I don't think they want HH going through more complicated progressions or sitting in the pocket any longer than absolutely necessary.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/6/2023 at 11:28 AM, gossamorharpy said:

Its weird until we all realize that Nebraska seemingly decided to abandon the RB first run game for 3 different regimes now.  Not sure when this progrum is gonna wake up and realize running your qb as your primary option is a disaster waiting to happen between getting banged up, injured all together, and overall limiting your effectiveness as an offense via fumbles and stalled drives.

This started in 2010 when TM was a huge breath of relief after the zac lee inept offense.  At that time we still had the Helu/Burkhead/Ameer reigns on the horizon though the beginning of the qb first took hold.  

Tommy armstrong was more of a thrower than TM but such a gamer and took his fair share of hits.

brief pause on this strategy with mike riley

I dont need to go into great detail on how frosty ran 2am into the ground.  2am peaked in week 2-3 of his freshman year and was never the same athletically due to how often he got his s#!t beat up

We as a progrum need to stop revolving our offense around the qb.  It prevents our RBs from developing any sort of rhythm and basically ignores any form of consistent passing game intentionally. 

IMO the continued reliance upon the QB running game for the last 13 years has flirted with this weird line between choice and necessity, and I think a lot of it boils down to some inconsistencies and lack of talent/development in other areas of the team. Right now I would say the QB run game is more out of just pure necessity - without that threat, this offense can't get much done. In many ways, it's often been a bandaid, and until a staff can figure out how to change that, this team's offense will continue to flounder.

• TBH 1

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO the continued reliance upon the QB running game for the last 13 years has flirted with this weird line between choice and necessity, and I think a lot of it boils down to some inconsistencies and lack of talent/development in other areas of the team. Right now I would say the QB run game is more out of just pure necessity - without that threat, this offense can't get much done. In many ways, it's often been a bandaid, and until a staff can figure out how to change that, this team's offense will continue to flounder.

agreed.  its also eerily coincided with the decline in our offensive line play.  We never were a school placing QBs in the NFL but we sure as hell were placing lineman and running backs.  For the most part, these 2 position groups have been devoid of quality talent since the end of Bo

On 11/6/2023 at 11:28 AM, gossamorharpy said:

Its weird until we all realize that Nebraska seemingly decided to abandon the RB first run game for 3 different regimes now.  Not sure when this progrum is gonna wake up and realize running your qb as your primary option is a disaster waiting to happen between getting banged up, injured all together, and overall limiting your effectiveness as an offense via fumbles and stalled drives.

This started in 2010 when TM was a huge breath of relief after the zac lee inept offense.  At that time we still had the Helu/Burkhead/Ameer reigns on the horizon though the beginning of the qb first took hold.  

Pelini didn’t abandon the RB run game at all.  TMart was an extension of their rushing offense.

Pelini coached the number 2, 6, and 7 leading rushers in school history who were all RBs. And they all overlapped with TMart.

• TBH 6
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I am and will always be a run the damn ball guy, but you need to have a QB capable of making rudimentary passes that result in completions.  This is the only way to avoid 8 guys in the box.TBH, if I was a DC I might even out 9 in the box with a deep high safety.  I don’t think HH is a threat to even 

routinely complete a pass to an uncovered receiver…. At this point we really have no qb passing threat.  The majority of the time it’s either incomplete, picked off or caught for minimal gain with little to no YAC.  I used to be mad as hell about our “big or bust scheme”, but I’d love HH to be able to throw the YOLO like TA…….. And if he is not a qb who can make routine passes, he needs to learn to not fumble or throw INT’s…..

• TBH 2
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I am and will always be a run the damn ball guy, but you need to have a QB capable of making rudimentary passes that result in completions.  This is the only way to avoid 8 guys in the box.TBH, if I was a DC I might even out 9 in the box with a deep high safety.  I don’t think HH is a threat to even 

routinely complete a pass to an uncovered receiver…. At this point we really have no qb passing threat.  The majority of the time it’s either incomplete, picked off or caught for minimal gain with little to no YAC.  I used to be mad as hell about our “big or bust scheme”, but I’d love HH to be able to throw the YOLO like TA…….. And if he is not a qb who can make routine passes, he needs to learn to not fumble or throw INT’s…..

And that’s why it’ll be tough to win 1 of the 3 remaining.  This is the obvious formula to stop Nebraska offense.  Dare the QB to beat you with his arm.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

The problem with this is. Teams aren’t keeping 8 in the box. They are dropping 7 and handling everything up front with 4. That is not a recipe for success. 

• TBH 2

On 11/7/2023 at 5:27 PM, Red Five said:

Pelini didn’t abandon the RB run game at all.  TMart was an extension of their rushing offense.

Pelini coached the number 2, 6, and 7 leading rushers in school history who were all RBs. And they all overlapped with TMart.

You’re right and I don’t disagree, I could’ve  worded my pelini summary better. I did mention the helu/burkhead/ameer era was in place. I guess what I was trying to point out is I thought we did t mart somewhat of a disservice with how often he did run.

for instance- all the excellent backs you mentioned (that I miss dearly lol, we were so spoiled having those 3 in succession like that) are top 10. If you look at rushing attempts Taylor Martinez also top 10 and had he not had his entire senior year cut short due to injury he most likely would’ve finished 2nd all time in school history in running attempts. That’s just too much for a qb in my opinion. His legs made him dangerous for sure, was just trying to say I think a better balance could’ve been found to preserve him a bit more