Sims vs HH

ndobney

I'd roll with HH. 

Give Sims one series in the first half and one in the second half.  We are playing LaTech at home, and this is a game that is safe enough to give them both some action.  

We don't necessarily need to play them both all year, but with Michigan looming, followed by a short week at Illinois, it would be good to have them both healthy, and ready to go.  I feel like Sims is ready to get hurt again and miss Michigan no matter what.  So I sit him entirely or give 2 series vs LaTech.  

Big Ten teams will have figured out the weaknesses of both QBs.  It's best to have them both healthy just in case someone plays awful or gets hurt.  We don't want to insert Purdy, even though we all like the kid.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Micheal said:

Agreed. I would rather have someone that makes the right decisions with slower legs and a weaker arm. 

I know Sims might have a higher ceiling but the basement is so much lower as well. And we don't need to live in a dungeon. 

I would argue that we have seen the basement for Sims, but haven't yet for Haarberg. It was a promising start, but let's not get carried away and assume he would have played exactly the same against Minnesota and Colorado. Haarbeg was 2/6 against Colorado, and the non-TD catch was a pretty terrible throw but Fidone bailed him out. He looked better against NIU (as you would hope), but I'm holding my breath when we drop back to pass regardless of who the QB is. Sims made some nice throws against Colorado, and one really bad one.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

Be prepared for Sims to get booed out of the stadium when the first turnover happens unless we are up big already.  Nebraska Nice is going out the window.  Haarberg played his butt off and protected the football in his first career start.   It just means more to a local kid than a hired gun mercenary.  Commend Sims on his sideline behavior last week though.  Hopefully coach keeps the leash short because it appears he is going with Sims.  I guess it might be good developmentally to not sacrifice Haarberg to Michigan the following week, but they both need to play this week IMHO.  The defense is absolutely good enough to win the West with even a serviceable offense.  Are you scared of any of the remaining teams other than Michigan?  I think we will need both of them throughout the season and hope that Rhule does not stubbornly hitch his wagon to the wrong guy.

• TBH 1
54 minutes ago, JadedHusker said:

Be prepared for Sims to get booed out of the stadium when the first turnover happens unless we are up big already.  Nebraska Nice is going out the window.  Haarberg played his butt off and protected the football in his first career start.   It just means more to a local kid than a hired gun mercenary.  Commend Sims on his sideline behavior last week though.  Hopefully coach keeps the leash short because it appears he is going with Sims.  I guess it might be good developmentally to not sacrifice Haarberg to Michigan the following week, but they both need to play this week IMHO.  The defense is absolutely good enough to win the West with even a serviceable offense.  Are you scared of any of the remaining teams other than Michigan?  I think we will need both of them throughout the season and hope that Rhule does not stubbornly hitch his wagon to the wrong guy.

I’m really impressed with his character and team first mentality. 
If Sat and Rhule are smart they will use the right tool for different jobs. The way we are running the qb they both need to be utilized to spread out the wear and tear they will receive. What those roles are I don’t know. I’m not getting paid millions of dollars. They need to figure that out and quick. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I would argue that we have seen the basement for Sims, but haven't yet for Haarberg. It was a promising start, but let's not get carried away and assume he would have played exactly the same against Minnesota and Colorado. Haarbeg was 2/6 against Colorado, and the non-TD catch was a pretty terrible throw but Fidone bailed him out. He looked better against NIU (as you would hope), but I'm holding my breath when we drop back to pass regardless of who the QB is. Sims made some nice throws against Colorado, and one really bad one.

That’s a fair assessment. I expect him to have a bad game, maybe if he starts against Michigan. But, what I really liked was that he was better at the end of the game than beginning. You could see him getting more confident. I would expect him to keep improving as his confidence and experience increases. What the big test will be is how he reacts when he has a bad game or half? And, can he keep improving on his passing and reads?  Right now all we have is how he did against an inferior team. He passed that test very well in my opinion. But, we have seen this before. He needs to keep it going. 

I think he has the full support of the team and he appears to be a hard worker willing to do whatever is needed to win. 

He’s either going to prove to be a good game manager able to distribute the ball and contribute with just toughness, or he will end up like McCaffery.