What did we learn? Purdue edition

Red Five

12 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm gonna keep bringing up Woche and Longval since I got laughed at for suggesting we give Haarberg a shot. I guess you could say I'm holding a grudge. I'd give Purdy a shot but it seems like he checked out and is moving on.
The first Haarberg fumble he was almost down and the defender was grabbing at him like an angry B. Most self-respecting guys don't act like a bush leaguer in public....like when Prince and the Revolution was setting those fruity picks... players don't want to be seen with their hands down there. NFL players would frown on that. I think Harby and the guys also struggled with the cold some when it came to ball handling.

Are you saying it's bad to try and rip the ball out from an opposing player? That NFL players would agree with that statement?  Do you hear yourself? :lol:

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

One thing I learned, from the post-game words by Purdue HC, was that "Nebraska has no ball security...... so we can take it away almost every play and WIN WIN WIN!"

To paraphrase a bit. 

Kidding aside, our propensity to fumble the ball, Special Teams (he was referring to) and Offense, is prep video for our opponents? 

Nice.

46 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'd go with the team's record with Haarberg (5-1), memories of Purdy looking pretty awful, and the coaching staff watching all three practice every day. 

I mean I know that’s the case and I trust the staff has a better grip on things than I do. But when the QB play looks so suspect, I still would like to see for myself.

And I’ll admit I’m a glass half full type but I attribute those 5 wins to the defense and in spite of the offense. With better QB play and some semblance of an offense it would be 6 wins and possibly 7.

It doesn’t seem unreasonable to be searching and hoping for more out of the QB position and offense.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I think he has at least one more year of eligibility left (possible that it might require a graduate year? I don't remember exactly).

Either way, I wager he will not be on the roster next year and that the coaches will encourage him to look elsewhere. I think HH is the only person on the current roster with a realistic chance of being the 2024 starter.

From what I've heard from the people that cover Husker FB he is currently the highest paid NIL player in Lincoln. So yeah, I see no he is here next year. And as much as I like the way HH has come in and lead the team I really hope we can get an upgrade at QB for next season. If the ball bounces just a little differently on few plays HH wouldn't be all that far behind Sims in turnovers.

As bad as it has been for Sims I do have to give the kid credit for remaining bought-in and supporting the HH and team. It would have easy for him to withdraw and sit on the bench sulking but everything I've heard says he has been encouraging and helpful.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but I have a couple thoughts that may or may not make you feel better :D:

- RE: surviving off dropped or missed passes, some of this is credit to the defense. They took it to Purdue yesterday, creating tight throwing windows and disrupting routes. Obviously there were a few passes that Purdue could have (and should have) caught, but that's just part of the game and it's pretty clear Nebraska's D disrupted their mojo and I think it contributed to Purdue's overall offensive funk.
- RE: blitz and coverage decisions, I don't know what the analytics say, but I trust Tony White lol. His philosophy appears to be to want to apply pressure on 3rd and short situations to force quick passes. It's hard to get a good pass rush with just 3-4 guys. And the longer you give a QB, the more likely they are to find a guy. White wants to force that decision quickly apparently and force the QB/WR to make a play fast. He probably likes his chances.

Maybe you're right. :cheers

14 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

From what I've heard from the people that cover Husker FB he is currently the highest paid NIL player in Lincoln. So yeah, I see no he is here next year. And as much as I like the way HH has come in and lead the team I really hope we can get an upgrade at QB for next season. If the ball bounces just a little differently on few plays HH wouldn't be all that far behind Sims in turnovers.

As bad as it has been for Sims I do have to give the kid credit for remaining bought-in and supporting the HH and team. It would have easy for him to withdraw and sit on the bench sulking but everything I've heard says he has been encouraging and helpful.

Simms turns the ball over and finds ways to lose. Haarberg turns the ball over yet finds ways to win. That's the difference.

• Haha 1
  • Enhance changed the title to What did we learn? Purdue edition