Tony White a Candidate for Syracuse HC Job

This is going to come off as “poo-pooing” NUs defense this year and I really don’t mean it to.  The defense is undeniably the strength of this year’s team.

But White’s DC resume at NU now really isn’t a lot different than from a calendar year ago.  He stops bad offenses like he’s supposed to.  But so far, not much success against teams like Michigan, or even Colorado…(year at Nebraska)

Hes a great and super smart guy that deserves a shot at a head gig.  But I don’t think it’s based on his performance at NU.  The Huskers are just the latest notch in his belt.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

21 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is going to come off as “poo-pooing” NUs defense this year and I really don’t mean it to.  The defense is undeniably the strength of this year’s team.

But White’s DC resume at NU now really isn’t a lot different than from a calendar year ago.  He stops bad offenses like he’s supposed to.  But so far, not much success against teams like Michigan, or even Colorado…(year at Nebraska)

Hes a great and super smart guy that deserves a shot at a head gig.  But I don’t think it’s based on his performance at NU.  The Huskers are just the latest notch in his belt.

Don't know if it's the grind of a long physical season or injuries at spots, but we haven't played as well defensively since the MSU game.  MSU, Maryland and Wisky seemed to find some flaws to exploit when needed.BUT still better than previous years.  Just hard to gauge as the West is really weak this year, but hard to discount that stats of the D.  More TO's next year and I'd expect us to be even better.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This year he is a g5, low end P5 candidate. One more year of success puts his name in conversations for USC, A&M, LSU type gigs. 

I beg to differ. Another year puts him in the conversation for low end P5 jobs. LSU and equivalent type jobs only take first time head coaches if they are in-house.

Al Golden?  If he is on the list a guy like Dan Mullen should be.  IMO White is a tertiary candidate at this time.  He has another good year and then it's time to worry.  The former Mizzou coach, turned UNLV reclamation candidate Odom will be a hot commodity if he can duplicate this season another year.  Their OC does a lot of creative things with the run game.

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

Disagree. The only team that has handled us was Michigan. Colorado was doing nothing until our offense decided to keep giving the ball right back. This defense has been the life of this team and has only really been suspect when they have been throw back on the field the whole second half. 

Imagine a this defense if our offense dominated TOP week in and week out.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/19/2023 at 3:22 PM, BlackHillsHusker said:

I think he has one more year at Nebraska at most.  Some teams have found a way to expose his D, but it will be brutal to lose him.

One more year? Tony's taking the Nebraska job once Rhule's deal with A&M is finalized! Coach Sanders could still come into play and mess that all up though...

• Plus1 1
On 11/19/2023 at 7:12 PM, BaytownHusker said:

Disagree. The only team that has handled us was Michigan. Colorado was doing nothing until our offense decided to keep giving the ball right back. This defense has been the life of this team and has only really been suspect when they have been throw back on the field the whole second half. 

Imagine a this defense if our offense dominated TOP week in and week out.

I agree, we are missing press CBs.  The last 2 games was better passing QBs

On 11/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, funhusker said:

Frankly, and fans don't want to hear this, it's a talent issue. 

Nebraska can't stop a team like Michigan no matter the coaching or scheme. Michigan simply recruits at a level Nebraska can't match. 

It's why a good defensive team like Iowa gets their doors blown off the second they play a talented team. They simply don't have the horses.

Tony White is probably maximizing the performance of the defense considering the talent level as he can. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1