Bright Spots From The Season

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Nebraska was 12 points away from winning 9 games (I know it was an easy schedule) with a dumpster fire of an offensive roster situation.

Third string QB starting most of the year: and winning…

Third string RB was asked to become the focus in run game.

WR that were expected to redshirt became starters

The OL was a revolving door of injuries 

The fact that people are pissed about losing to a 10-2 Iowa team kinda proves they thought Rhule had the shell of a team capable of winning the game.  

The staff over achieved this year in my opinion.  I like em!

They definitely coached themselves out of a few wins. I’ll call that a neutral. The offensive roster needs pieces and we have the wrong guy calling plays. Five wins is about where I thought at the start of the year. Unfortunately, even if we improve we may be around the same record with our schedule. This was the easiest slate we will play in the big ten for some time. A bowl game appearance regardless of outcome really perks up the perspective on this program. It was a need. 

• Without knowing the stats, this seems like the most disciplined and least penalized squad we've had in years and years. Far from perfect, but so many less moments of crucial false starts, PI calls bailing out the opponent on 3rd and long, etc.

• The staff routinely showed the ability to figure out what was and wasn't working and make good second half adjustments in games

• Not having bowl practices sucks, but the amount of live game reps given to so many young players is a massive aid to the next few years of the program

• Honestly didn't even remember what player development looked like before this season. We saw a lot of career-long mid level guys grow into solid and dependable players.

• Purdy, put into a really tough position, showed some promising spark of moxy, poise and improvement as a player compared to the chicken with his head cut off performance of last season.

• Obviously Tony White has been a revelation and I feel pretty good that he'll still be here for at least another 1-2 years.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

• Without knowing the stats, this seems like the most disciplined and least penalized squad we've had in years and years. Far from perfect, but so many less moments of crucial false starts, PI calls bailing out the opponent on 3rd and long, etc.

It did seem like we were much better down the stretch.  But for the year, we're about where we have been.  #26 in penalty yards per game, #33 in yards per game.  Last year we were #26 and #39.

We really shot ourselves in the foot early in the year, especially in the red zone.  But it did seem like the last few games we barely got any called on us.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

It did seem like we were much better down the stretch.  But for the year, we're about where we have been.  #26 in penalty yards per game, #33 in yards per game.  Last year we were #26 and #39.

We really shot ourselves in the foot early in the year, especially in the red zone.  But it did seem like the last few games we barely got any called on us.

Seemed liked the 3-5 false starts a game have gone away

The defensive staff's ability to get production from such a large volume of players was impressive.  They definitely provided proof of concept on that side of the ball.  Fidone & Prochazka made it out of the season in tact, several young players got their feet wet, & there was modest improvement on the O-Line.  I wouldn't go so far as to say a foundation was laid, but they aren't starting from scratch again this spring.  

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

The defensive staff's ability to get production from such a large volume of players was impressive.  They definitely provided proof of concept on that side of the ball.  Fidone & Prochazka made it out of the season in tact, several young players got their feet wet, & there was modest improvement on the O-Line.  I wouldn't go so far as to say a foundation was laid, but they aren't starting from scratch again this spring.  

Foundation probably not laid yet, so I would agree with you. That said, listening to the players, the culture is changing. The fact that Ty and Nash (likely) are returning rathe than bolting for nfl. Both guys would be on a roster next year but have chosen to return bc they like the direction. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Finished dead last in fumbles lost, turnovers and second to last in turnover margin and yet the defense finished 17th in scoring defense.  That points to heart and a culture change as much as anything. I never saw any quit.

The defense was swarming and tackling much better this year even though they seemed to have been gassed and so missed some key tackles late in the year.  

There's a lot of young talent on D and if you're going to build that's the best place to start.  

• Plus1 3
23 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Wow, somehow my post above warranted a point from the mods of this board. Lol, what kind of place is this now

zero personal attack, simply stating facts. And I get issued a warning point 

I don't think you deserved a warning, but, I mean, you basically just s#!t all over a thread that is explicitly dedicated to positivity... :dunno

I was just pointing out how the team was in almost every single game despite 3rd stringers playing important positions, and even with the horrible turnovers we still had a chance to win every game but 1.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

Hutmacher - Jimari Butler - Ty Robinson - Lenhardt - Umanmielen - Van Poppel - Tommi Hill - Javin Wright - Gbayor - Hartzog - Singleton - Buford - Sherman - Lynum - Borders - Gifford (if he chooses to) - Bullock (same) - and more. We had a damn good D, and a lot of the guys will return.

• Oh Yeah! 3