Aaron Green

well not gonna say and it doenst hurt or sting... i am sure we will be alright but ya know what it still really sucks... its not there isnt gonna be ripples by him leaving... it is gonna put a lot of pressure on other people.... im sad to see him go

i remember the recruiting battle for him and how stoked we were when we got him... seems like he was the last big name battle we were in that we won for a while

Losing Aaron really doesn't put pressure on anyone. We had a logjam at RB and we still have a workhorse by the name of Rex Burkhead.

umm rex really aint superman... sh#t happens you never know.....

I doubt you'll see too many 30+ carry games...

wish we would have more options to pick up the slack...... instead of putting it all on a sophomore.....

preaching to the choir on that one homie

per Sean Callahan:

According to Green's father Tony Green his son has requested his scholarship release from NU head coach Bo Pelini.

"It was a very difficult decision for him," Tony Green said. "He's very tight with his brother (Andrew Green) which made this even more difficult. It's also been difficult on me and his mother. We really wanted him to stay, but in the end he had to make his own decision. It's not mine to make. He's got to be happy. It just wasn't meant to be for him and he's got to make his own decision."

Tony Green said Aaron is looking at Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU and Houston as potential transfer options.

Tony Green said it was very difficult on Pelini to see Green leave, because he showed so much promise this spring.

Maybe the hardest part though was for Aaron Green to break the news to his older brother Andrew Green, who is currently a junior cornerback for the Huskers.

Tony Green said Andrew obviously didn't want to see his younger brother leave the program.

"Obviously I would've loved to see them stay together," Tony Green sad. "It just doesn't always work that way. You have to do what makes people happy. Needless to say we'll have to figure out how to make it to two different destinations on a football Saturday."

"I would like to say he learned a little bit of patience, because he's not a very patient person," Tony Green said. "It wasn't a problem with Rex (Burkhead) or anything, he thinks the world of Rex - he just wasn't happy. He didn't feel like he fit in their system."

I'm very disappointed by this. It doesn't make any sense. He could have gotten a lot of carries this year, leading into a dominant role for the next two years. He has a Christian position coach, and his brother is on the team.

I disagree with the poster who wrote that we have a logjam at RB. Ameer is too tiny; his fumble cost us the bowl game, and Rex only has one year left. Aaron could have been a factor this year and the man for two years.

I hate to see this happen, but such is life. I can’t remember anyone who transferred and ended up being a star elsewhere. I can remember a couple who thought about transferring, but didn’t. And ended up as Husker greats. A recent All-American (Suh). And a Heisman (Crouch).

Good luck to you, Aaron Green. You’ve chosen the path of Bobby Newcombe Leon Jackson. Rather than Suh or Crouch.

edit: It was Leon Jackson who transferred (to Hawaii) a few years back, not Bobby Newcombe. Newcombe stuck it out at NU after being injured.

I hate to see this happen, but such is life. I can’t remember anyone who transferred and ended up being a star elsewhere. I can remember a couple who thought about transferring, but didn’t. And ended up as Husker greats. A recent All-American (Suh). And a Heisman (Crouch).

Good luck to you, Aaron Green. You’ve chosen the path of Bobby Newcombe. Rather than Suh or Crouch.

Didn't Newcombe stick with the Huskers as a WR/KR and get drafted by the Cardinals?

I'm very disappointed by this. It doesn't make any sense. He could have gotten a lot of carries this year, leading into a dominant role for the next two years. He has a Christian position coach, and his brother is on the team.

I disagree with the poster who wrote that we have a logjam at RB. Ameer is too tiny; his fumble cost us the bowl game, and Rex only has one year left. Aaron could have been a factor this year and the man for two years.

I'm thinking he saw first hand what kind of an impact Marrow will be adding and that exacerbated the situation.......

Good luck to you, Aaron Green. You’ve chosen the path of Bobby Newcombe. Rather than Suh or Crouch.

Didn't Newcombe stick with the Huskers as a WR/KR and get drafted by the Cardinals?

Yeah, I think you're right. Who was it that transferred a few years ago? To Hawaii I think. Anyway, I can't remember his name. At least I can recall Bobby Newcombe's name--probly because he didn't transfer. :lol:

I might be in the minority here but if you are not happy, find another place. Life it to short, college is to short, to be unhappy. I have no problem with this at all.

Usually this happens with guys that are not going to play that much but in this case it seems like he would have played a ton this year, so that part sucks but again, if you are not happy you need to make a change.

• Fire 1

Yeah lol, out of that group Crouch actually quit the team and Suh almost left after the coaching change. Why hate on Newcombe? So apparently this was mostly because he doesn't think he fits in our system? This is kind of mind boggling to me unless our offense is going to look really different this year. I can't help but think this is a guy who just thinks he should be an all-american as a sophomore and doesn't even want to wait another year, which, good luck with that. He showed promise but was far from amazing

Like I said above, the change in style of offense can be contributed to the conference switch. It would be very difficult in the B1G to have anything other than a pro-style/power running offense and be super successful IMO.

In the Big 12, we would have continued to recruit small, speedy players and had an increasingly versatile offense.

If we were currently recruiting 6'1 220 RBs I'd agree. We currently have offers out to 9 RBs according to rivals. None are over 200. AG came in at 191. Cross came in at 220. We are recruiting much closer to AG than to Cross. Not that much of what Bo does from a recruiting standpoint makes sense to us, but this is one of the more mysterious things with his recruiting. I thought Cross/Marrow signaled a switch to more traditional power football. The we started recruiting 2013. (maybe there just aren't any quality big backs out there this year?)

If he goes to Oklahoma, he's not gonna get to be the star with all the snaps. He might could at Baylor but we all saw how bad they were when RG3 went down with the injuries, what makes us think they are gonna be any good this year. If the O-line sucks then he won't do too hot there either, Houston is the same thing with Case Keenum gone who knows what that program will do. We all know Texas Tech isn't that good and they don't run that much either. TCU might be the best option for him as a RB but he may have to split snaps there too.

A couple things that are interesting here... he is looking at a bunch of schools much closer to home. Some speculated he was very homesick. He is also not liking the big 10... he wants an offense where he is used in space (which is what analysts said is his strength). Nebraska is headed towards an offense where they pound the ball down the middle through power I, zone read, etc. They will have some play action passing to RB's and stuff like that but I think Green saw that they were headed towards bigger backs and more big 10 style runners and he just didn't see himself as one of them. He had trouble gaining weight after a year in the program he didn't gain 1 lb so maybe he thought he just wasn't that type of player.

I do think we could have used him. As I think we're going to have 2 types of RB's on our team in the future. We'll have the big back and we'll have the smaller shifty, all purpose back. But I really think it boils down to this... Aaron wanted his talents known and wanted to be noticed nationally. Nebraska wasn't going to give him the chance to be a big yard back with their offense and he wasn't going to get enough snaps to do that. On top of that he's homesick, and he doesn't feel like Pelini and his staff have noticed or respected or used his talents like maybe another school would. He has convinced himself that in order to go to the NFL it'd be the best option for him to transfer.

Annndd.... if we end up winning a national championship in the next 2 years he's gonna regret it. haha!

• Fire 1