DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

I wonder if Phillips would ever consider a greyshirt. I personally think we need to make room for him. Lives and Breathes Red, Nebraska kid. As good of a motor as you are going to see. Versatile lineman. He needs to be a Husker, but if they no way, no how can make room for him this year then you have to believe they would extend a greyshirt offer. Just don't know if Phillips would consider it with an offer like Stanford out there.

I had been hoping for a greyshirt offer to play center, think he'd be good there given some time to put size on, but I doubt Phillips would go for that now.

Everyone, but Nebraska, seems to be evaluating Phillips at strong-side DE (that is also the offer from Stanford). This is Nebraska's tell. I think the talent is there for Phillips, but they picked up Mixon and Natter last year for DE, and are looking at Newell for this year. Heck, even Stoltenberg puts most of his time on the field in Gretna at this position, though Nebraska was also working him out on the offensive line. I would like Phillips, but we will have to see how it turns out with Newell, which hopefully we pick up.

We are recruiting Newell at DT. We did well at DE last year so that's most of his problem. Other seems to be he doesn't have a set position. I would like to see him offered at center, but we've recruited oline pretty well last year as well, and were off to a good start so far this year, so he's hurt by not having a set position. Congrats to him on the offer that's a heck of an offer for the kid.

I personally believe you can never have enough good OL or DL no matter what the position they play so I think if the coaches believe he is good enough to play somewhere in those 9 spots, offer him and get it over with.

I agree. You never know whats going to happen with injuries and or unexpected transfers etc. If he can play get him on the team period.

• Fire 1

Nebraska second-year recruiting coordinator Ross Els said recently that the Husker staff will favor in-state players if all else is equal. Note that NU already has three verbal commitments from in-state players in its 2014 scholarship class.

"But we're also not going to sacrifice the caliber of ball we play just to take a kid because he fits into a certain category," Els said.

Sounds prudent to me.

<snip>

Stanford envisions Phillips as a tackle in its 3-4 defense, as do many other teams, he said. He is most comfortable playing defensive line.

Rivals.com lists him as a strongside defensive end. Thing is, the Huskers' scholarship class of 2013 has six defensive linemen, including two who could be considered pure strongside ends — Dimarya Mixon (6-4, 250) and A.J. Natter (6-6, 240). Redshirt freshman defensive end Greg McMullen (6-3, 285) is also prominent in NU's plans.

LJS Article

I wonder if Phillips would ever consider a greyshirt. I personally think we need to make room for him. Lives and Breathes Red, Nebraska kid. As good of a motor as you are going to see. Versatile lineman. He needs to be a Husker, but if they no way, no how can make room for him this year then you have to believe they would extend a greyshirt offer. Just don't know if Phillips would consider it with an offer like Stanford out there.

I had been hoping for a greyshirt offer to play center, think he'd be good there given some time to put size on, but I doubt Phillips would go for that now.

Everyone, but Nebraska, seems to be evaluating Phillips at strong-side DE (that is also the offer from Stanford). This is the Nebraska's tell. I think the talent is there for Phillips, but they picked up Mixon and Natter last year for DE, and are looking at Newell for this year. Heck, even Stoltenberg puts most of his time on the field in Gretna at this position, though Nebraska was also working him out on the offensive line. I would like Phillips, but we will have to see how it turns out with Newell, which hopefully we pick up.

It really sounds like we are going to try to get all those DEs on the field this year if they are ready to play, so I think it would be good to pick up a guy like Phillips who has a huge motor and upside just needs some time to put on the weight. After he redshirts he is going to have 2 yrs seperation from most of those guys. Even if he ends up playing Center I see him having a yr seperation from Farmer (I think he will play as a True Freshman) or 2 from Thurston if he ends up being our guy there. Don't pass on a Nebraska lineman who will bust his ass for the team. Plus Phillips seems to have a little of that mean edge we need.

If you are reading this Harrison, I hope you get the offer you are waiting for but if not, Stanford is not a 2nd place finish but a 1st class higher educational institution!

You are in a win – win situation no matter how the ball bounces! Good Luck! :bonesflag:

• Fire 2

If you are reading this Harrison, I hope you get the offer you are waiting for but if not, Stanford is not a 2nd place finish but a 1st class higher educational institution!

You are in a win – win situation no matter how the ball bounces! Good Luck! :bonesflag:

Totally agree. +1