Maliek Collins Projected 2016 First-Round Pick by Todd McShay

I think he goes. If we had any regular pass rush from the DE spot, he would have been brutal this year. There were times when we did a three lineman look, they put him at rush end. I also recall a big RB screen in which he was nearly stride for stride with the back for 30 yards till the end zone. His size and speed is enough to get him noticed at the combine.

Can Collins improve his stock?

Depends on the guys lined up around him. If i am Collins, that is my deciding factor. I think the Defense will be better, but still dont see what he gains staying an extra year.

I think he end sup being a last 1st early/mid 2nd rounder which is still damn good.

If Collins is already a top 50 pick, how much more can he improve his stock? Even if he dominates next season and gets into the top 15, that's not a huge amount of difference in rookie salary.

Collins should go pro, so that he gets to his 2nd contract a year earlier. The 2nd contract (see Suh) is where NFL players make the huge $$$ now.

Suh had a similar choice and decided to stay for the chance to be a top 5-10 pick versus bottom 1-Top 2 round pick, however that was also just before they capped the rookie salary scale. Suh got a $50mm rookie contract IIRC, a huge leap from what he would have made coming out as a Jr. I am not as familiar now with how the scale works now, would have to look it up, but The upside has been reduced from being a top tier vs bottom tier 1st rounder I believe. There is still a significant jump in salary levels, just not sure it is the same type of jump Suh eyed. Frankly Suh could also afford to wait another year, Collins may not be able to do to his family's financial situation.

Suh was a once a decade level player. Collins is not in his league at this point. Collins should stay in college and get his degree and work harder than ever and become the kind of dominant player that makes him not only unanimous all conference but All American and a clear 1st rounder that will get the multi million dollar signing bonus money. At this point, he could go pro, do mediocre in the scouting combines and end up being a late 3rd or even 4th round pick and end up on a team where he is maybe a back up. It would be worth 10 million dollars in my opinion for him stay and improve his game to the 'great ' level.

• Fire 1

Suh was a once a decade level player. Collins is not in his league at this point. Collins should stay in college and get his degree and work harder than ever and become the kind of dominant player that makes him not only unanimous all conference but All American and a clear 1st rounder that will get the multi million dollar signing bonus money. At this point, he could go pro, do mediocre in the scouting combines and end up being a late 3rd or even 4th round pick and end up on a team where he is maybe a back up. It would be worth 10 million dollars in my opinion for him stay and improve his game to the 'great ' level.

If he is projected 3-4th round then maybe, but current projections put him in the 1st round. He isn't a top 1-3 pick like Suh was, but he stands to make quite a bit going pro.

Maybe I missed it in the thread above, but I don't see any mention of whether or not Maliek will graduate this semester. Making it in the NFL for enough years to be set for life is a pretty iffy proposition. Even for someone with the talent of Maliek Collins. His best chance to avoid ending up broke and unemployed in ten years might be to finish his degree before entering the draft.

Maybe I missed it in the thread above, but I don't see any mention of whether or not Maliek will graduate this semester. Making it in the NFL for enough years to be set for life is a pretty iffy proposition. Even for someone with the talent of Maliek Collins. His best chance to avoid ending up broke and unemployed in ten years might be to finish his degree before entering the draft.

And finishing a degree post or during a pro career is an option.

It's not like an NU (or almost any) degree is a ticket to a guaranteed great paycheck for life.

He would be crazy not to go if he is projected as a 1st rounder. Why lose a year of income earning on what won't be a long career even as an all pro.

Funny to think that Johnny Stanton was spanking ol Hackenburg in the Elite 11.

Didn't Hackenburg finish ahead of Stanton in the final Elite 11 rankings because Stanton struggled in the pressure cooker drill while Hackenburg didn't?

If I remember correctly, Stanton dropped in rankings because he did not participate in one of the days (final day?) as he had a prior 7-on-7 commitment.

• Fire 1

What is Maliks take on the situation? Do any of us know? Maybe this kid is here due to the fact of wanting to play college football and maybe just maybe a B1G title or some thing better. Are there not any of those kinds of kids out there anymore.

I do wish and hope he stays to have that chance. He will get his shot at the next level in time.

What is Maliks take on the situation? Do any of us know? Maybe this kid is here due to the fact of wanting to play college football and maybe just maybe a B1G title or some thing better. Are there not any of those kinds of kids out there anymore.

I do wish and hope he stays to have that chance. He will get his shot at the next level in time.

He has a son, if he can go make money and provide a better life for his son starting after this season we should all wish him the best of luck.

It really is all about opportunity cost (part of that value could be pride and sense of accomplishment but for most it will primarily be about money). Part of the equation is how much more can I improve the other part is the value of the degree versus the risk of injury (I suppose the value of an insurance policy if he were hurt is also part of it). At the end of the day the money of being a pick in the early rounds is simply high enough that it would be hard to justify skipping when a college degree can always be wrapped up later. Also being in the NFL probably adds value to your degree if you go back and get it.

That said, this comes down simply to the non-financial value of wrapping up a degree so I hope that for Maliek one more year running out on the field in front of 90,000 red clothed fans will get him to stay, it would be great to have him back. He may also want a chance to be on a team the wraps up the season with a better record.

Suh went from dominat player to "should have won the Heisman". I mean, he should've won it. Who won it that year? Suh even knocked out McCoy from winning it in the B12 CCG!!

Malik isn't on that level. The pros is a man's game. Malik is good, damn good. But ain't that damn good. Another year would serve him well. Come back, and prove you're that damn good.

• Fire 1