The General Election

I am starting to get he sense that things might turn ugly after the election. And Trump is adding gasoline to the fire.

CINCINNATI — In an arena normally reserved for ice hockey, the Donald Trump crowd was on edge.

Some wore shirts with slogans like “[Expletive] Your Feelings” or, in reference to the female Democratic nominee, “Trump that Bitch.” Others had buckets of popcorn, ready for the show. When the media entourage entered, thousands erupted in boos.

Anger and hostility were the most overwhelming sentiments at a Trump rally in Cincinnati last week, a deep sense of frustration, an us-versus-them mentality, and a belief that they are part of an unstoppable and underestimated movement. Unlike many in the country, however, these hard-core Trump followers do not believe the real estate mogul’s misfortunes are of his own making.

They believe what Trump has told them over and over, that this election is rigged, and if he loses, it will be because of a massive conspiracy to take him down.

His supporters here said they plan to go to their local precincts to look for illegal immigrants who may attempt to vote. They are worried that Democrats will load up buses of minorities and take them to vote several times in different areas of the city. They’ve heard rumors that boxes of Clinton otes are already waiting somewhere. And if Trump doesn’t win, some are even openly talking about violent rebellion and assassination, as fantastical and unhinged as that may seem.

“If she’s in office, I hope we can start a coup. She should be in prison or shot. That’s how I feel about it,” Dan Bowman, a 50-year-old contractor, said of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. “We’re going to have a revolution and take them out of office if that’s what it takes. There’s going to be a lot of bloodshed. But that’s what it’s going to take. . . . I would do whatever I can for my country.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2016/10/15/donald-trump-warnings-conspiracy-rig-election-are-stoking-anger-among-his-followers/LcCY6e0QOcfH8VdeK9UdsM/story.html

• Fire 1

It's just so gross to watch people defend a guy - who says "when your rich and famous you can do whatever you want," who has a history of attacking accusers and suing everyone who bothers him, who is worth probably many hundreds of millions of dollars thanks to daddy's money - by saying "his accusers should have come out before a tape of his self-damning words was released."

This is a guy who says he'll destroy anyone who opposes him.

I think most people in their situations would keep quiet until publicly vindicated by his own admissions.

As long as I can remember, Trump's attitude was the very definition elitism, the exact opposite of populism, and just the kind of thinking Nebraskans were proud to reject. I can't believe he's going to carry the state.

• Fire 3

Look no further than our own esteemed governor. His family spent millions of dollars funding anti-Trump efforts during the primaries. With their vast wealth, it is no surprise to me that they hold conservative ideology and policy ideas in quite high esteem.

But then he wins the primary anyway. And suddenly Governor Ricketts is all buddy-buddy with Trump and is showing up for rallies to support him. This is the same guy who was going to blow off greeting Obama when he was flying in to Omaha.

Is anyone seriously pleased with Ricketts as governor? I mean the guy can't even pick a new license plate without mucking it up. How exactly was he elected to his post? Did any of you proudly vote for him, and if so, why? The guy just seems like such a rube.

At least there's this. His wife just announced she's voting for Clinton.

Bnilhome. I am well aware of media bias; but that does not make Trump an acceptable candidate. He is not and neither is Clinton. Trump doesn't have even a basic understanding of most of the issues, has said he would direct our troops to commit war crimes and that the troops would follow because he's a good leader; said he's entitled to assault women because of his status; and is connected to Joel Epstien- a convicted pedophile. Clinton understands how government works and would use it to take the country in the direction I totally disagree with; is the most dishonest politician I have ever seen (except for perhaps Trump) should possibly be in jail; and is connected to Joel Epstien- a convicted pedophile. My God, is it too much to ask to have at least one of the two major party candidates not be connected to a convicted pedophile. To me, the two parties have not just put forth two very bad choices, they have put forth two totally unacceptable choices....sorry about that, what started as a reply, turned into a rant. The rant wasn't directed at you, bnilhome.

I agree that both these candidates are stinky, and I have criticized Trump often on here even though I will choose him over Hillary any day. What you wont see on here are some like zoogs mrrandy, LOMS, and others critize Hillary despite the fact she deserves it.