Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

Still haven't been terribly impressed with Newby, but he's stepped up big carrying the workload in the 4th quarters of the last two games now. That last (close to last?) first down where he trucked over a guy to get the yardage might be the best run I've ever seen by him.

I still question his talent but I no longer question his heart and effort whatsoever.

Still haven't been terribly impressed with Newby, but he's stepped up big carrying the workload in the 4th quarters of the last two games now. That last (close to last?) first down where he trucked over a guy to get the yardage might be the best run I've ever seen by him.

I still question his talent but I no longer question his heart and effort whatsoever.

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

• Fire 1

Hey...remember when you guys said Newby should be 4th string?

Eat crow!

How many people said that?

There were a couple...this message is for them :D

For your mental sanity I hope Newby keeps getting a majority of the snaps after Ozigbo is healthy again.

It would be dumb if he didn't.

Even if Ozigbo puts us in a better position to win?

Eat crow!

Yeah, but he did a lot of dancing and hesitating before this season......he brought in on himself. From what he's shown this year I'd say it's possible he could make a pro team as an all-purpose back. He's really stepped it up.

Eat crow!

Yeah, but he did a lot of dancing and hesitating before this season......he brought in on himself. From what he's shown this year I'd say it's possible he could make a pro team as an all-purpose back. He's really stepped it up.

Meh. Newby looks great when he's running through holes a small truck could drive through. He averaged 3.7 per carry against Purdue.

Eat crow!

Meh. Newby looks great when he's running through holes a small truck could drive through. He averaged 3.7 per carry against Purdue.

maybe it's just me but it feels like he stops his feet a lot with jump cuts and it slows him down quite a bit. When he doesn't stop his feet, a lot of the time he breaks off some pretty nice runs. I know a lot of it wasn't his fault as the line struggled/has been struggling a lot but it feels like his inconsistency to keep his feet moving all of the time is the biggest difference between him and Abdullah .

I am still an Ozigbo fan and would clearly prefer he be the back getting the load. I don't mind Newby late in the game after the defense is worn down as then his quickness is beneficial and he does have more straight ahead speed (though he is not a speed burner either). But the bulk of the carries in the first three quarters should be Devine's in my view. He gets something out of nothing and our O line is not exactly 'roadgraders' at this point. They give him something of a crease and Ozigbo gets 2 to 4 or more while Newby is struggling to get back to the line of scrimmage. When you look at stats, I think you need to subtract the three longest and three shortest runs from the figures and then compute the average per carry. I think you will find that Ozigbo shines brighter than Newby although I admit I have not done the math.

We need to be able to sustain long, time consuming drives with our run game. Ozigbo does this better than Newby (who may have 50 yards in 10 carries but 6 carries will be for less than 1 positive yard gained. Those are problem plays as they force the offense into passing as the second and 9 or 10s don't offer much hope of getting the first down with two more runs.

Eat crow!

He's running Barry Sanders style now, quick, cuts in heavy traffic, his big runs are more the result of his cuts in the first five yards than the blocking.