Put Up or Shut Up Time

Nebfanatic

4 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

First off, your sarcasm meter is in need of a tune.  You didn't really make a statement so I can't agree or disagree with anything.  You just typed in the same tired rant that people have repeated ad nausem for the past 15 years.  What Nebraska pulled off in the 30+ years you mentioned was the zenith of Nebraska football and will never be repeated again unless there is a drastic change to the CFB landscape.  Every conceivable advantage Nebraska had during their run has been erased.  I do agree with the OP in that this is the crux of the Mike Riley era.  

I'll buy you another Kool Aid and let you simmer down.  If you can't see the point, I can't help you either.  The point is, the program WAS established and was not "building"  Since the threshold was established, it has hardly been met since and you can call it the house of cards which came falling down.  Winning cures all.  No excuses.  What disadvantages does NU not have now compared to others and don't use the lame "geography" excuse. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

I'll buy you another Kool Aid and let you simmer down.  If you can't see the point, I can't help you either.  The point is, the program WAS established and was not "building"  Since the threshold was established, it has hardly been met since and you can call it the house of cards which came falling down.  Winning cures all.  No excuses.  What disadvantages does NU not have now compared to others and don's use the lame "geography" excuse. 

Seriously?

In no particular order..

No more Prop 48 kids.  Nebraska took advantage of this rule better than anyone else in the country.

Scholarship reductions coupled with the rise of other regional universities which has pulled away a lot of the depth that used to go to NU.  Also, college is much more expensive to attend nowadays.

The explosion of TV.

I understand your point just fine.  Nebraska was a powerhouse when it had a HOF coach patrolling the sidelines.  It no longer enjoys that luxury and we've seen first hand what has happened.

8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Seriously?

In no particular order..

No more Prop 48 kids.  Nebraska took advantage of this rule better than anyone else in the country.

Scholarship reductions coupled with the rise of other regional universities which has pulled away a lot of the depth that used to go to NU.  Also, college is much more expensive to attend nowadays.

The explosion of TV.

The cost of college does not impact the football team, unless you want to discuss walk-on players (you did not mention it that way).  Each conference has it's own rules as far as partial qualifiers, but everyone in a conference (at least) is playing by the rules go with Prop 48 kids.  How did Penn State manage to go from almost the death penalty and major reductions in scholarships to where they are right now?  Happy Valley is not a "happening place" by any means, so how did they do it?  We can make all the excuses we want, but NU has spent almost 20 years trying to find itself and getting out of its own way.  Our coaching hires have put us behind and HCMR is doing here what he did at OSU.....be a .500 coach.

2 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

The cost of college does not impact the football team, unless you want to discuss walk-on players (you did not mention it that way).  Each conference has it's own rules as far as partial qualifiers, but everyone in a conference (at least) is playing by the rules go with Prop 48 kids.  How did Penn State going from almost the death penalty and major reductions in scholarships to where they are right now?  Happy Valley is not a "happening place" by any means, so how did they do it?  We can make all the excuses we want, but NU has spent almost 20 years trying to find itself and getting out of its own way.  Our coaching hires have put us behind and HCMR is doing here what he did at OSU.....be a .500 coach.

I agree that Happy Valley is not a happening place, PSU is still located in pretty fertile recruiting grounds though which certainly helps.  Also, they did a great job hiring HCs.

2 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

How did Penn State manage to go from almost the death penalty and major reductions in scholarships to where they are right now?  Happy Valley is not a "happening place" by any means, so how did they do it? 

You said not to use the lame "geography" excuse, and then referenced State College, PA, not being a happy place.

This is a mistake a lot of people that are from "not happening" places seem to make. It doesn't matter where you're actually located, or if the place is happening or not. What matters is the perception and stereotype that exists about the place. 

O Street in Lincoln, NE is more wild and happening than many of the areas and neighborhoods I go out to in Chicago on the weekends. That's true, but it doesn't actually matter. What matters is that Lincoln is perceived by outsiders to be a small conservative white city in the middle of a rural farm state in the middle of nowhere. Chicago is perceived by outsiders to be this diverse, bustling mega metropolis that never sleeps. 

It doesn't matter if Happy Valley is not a happening place when it's on the East Coast surrounded by huge cities and surrounded by a much higher population density and much more football talent. When people don't have actual knowledge of a place they rely on stereotypes of it, and that means they win/benefit.

• Plus1 1

On 9/30/2017 at 8:54 AM, HuskerMav11 said:

He doesn't need to beat Wisconsin. Just being competitive in the game and not losing to them in a way that is undeniably his fault(see poor clock management) will earn him some respect by most.

if we lose the game in a hard fought 20-23 fashion, I think most fans will be a bit disappointed, but ultimately we'll be content.

Same can be said for Ohio State.

That's  the expectation of realistic Husker fans. Win the games we're supposed to and be competitive in the big games.

I agree though I feel like he needs to pick off a team he shouldn't beat to make up for they n Illinois loss

Anything less than a win makes his seat nearly unbearable. We are most likely 3-4 after a loss to OSU and on the road against a Purdue team with an actual pulse. Maybe Riley pulls us from a nose dive and gets to 8 wins after that, but my money says the wheels come off with a loss to Wisc. 

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I agree that Happy Valley is not a happening place, PSU is still located in pretty fertile recruiting grounds though which certainly helps.  Also, they did a great job hiring HCs.

I think a lot of people always ignore this fact.  Compare our two 500 mile radii.  Penn st includes All of PA (obviously), NY, VA, MA, MD, WV, OH, NC, MI and most of IN, SC, KY and part of Tenn.  If you compare all those states talent produced it will outscore the states in Nebraska's 500 mile radius.  Guess where Trace mcsorley and Barkley are from. Within that radius.  They have about 10 kids outside their 500 miles, 4 are from GA, 2 from FL, 1 from Wisconsin, 1 from IL and 1 from Nevada.  Beside Nevada and maybe Wisconsin those states produce more talent as well.  

• Plus1 3