Tanner Lee Declares for NFL Draft

Lee in the Draft  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

In a Riley offense, which quarterback would you rather have?  Armstrong couldn't throw a lick, but could scramble.  Lee had a Herculean arm, but couldn't scramble and had a knack for throwing to the other team, although a certain number (small) were truly not his fault.  Both had a crappy o-line. Both appear to be nice, hardworking kids.  Given the offensive line, I'd definitely take Armstrong but I'm not sure anyone QB would have consistently thrived.  

I'd rather not have the Riley offense.

• Plus1 4

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

This is a patently false statement.  Last year alone there were 10 QBs drafted.  The year before?  15.  Lee absolutely made the right move going pro this year, he's going to get drafted in one of the later rounds more likely than not and he'll be able to make a few bucks along the way.  Him staying in Lincoln this year would've been a total waste of time for him professionally.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Perhaps you are right because I hate pro football and almost never watch it.   But with about 32 teams, I find it quite surprising that as many as 1/3rd of them get new QBs each year.  That's crazy.  I didn't say 'drafted' as I was talking about making it as a QB.  Get drafted may not mean he makes a team.  Even so, he wasn't one of the top 15 QBs last year.  Maybe in the top 40.  He certainly has not demonstrated ANY medicore level of NFL level talent.  Armstrong had a tremendous ARM but was not accurate and neither was Lee.  Even adding in his numerous PICKS, he didn't complete enough % to impress many.  He couldn't escape many sacks and rarely advanced the ball for a first down with his legs.   What exceptional skills does he show beyond having the ability to throw nice spirals in passing drills.  He rarely read defenses and checked into the right plays so far as I could determine.  Really, what did he do at an NFL level?

• Plus1 1

How many QBs do NFL teams typically have on their roster at a time? I could maybe see a team taking him on as a long-term project in hopes that they can teach him to read a defense, but he's not even gonna be ready to be a #2 guy next year, let alone #1.

7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Whoever advised him to go pro was a fool or idiot.  

I don't think this is a case of anyone "advising" Lee to go pro.  I think this is Lee realizing that he doesn't have the physical skills to play in Coach Frost's offense.  Hell he could barely play in Mike Riley's offense and that was supposed to be the type of system he'd flourish in.  So yeah, Lee leaving was pretty much expected once Riley got the axe.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Perhaps you are right because I hate pro football and almost never watch it.   But with about 32 teams, I find it quite surprising that as many as 1/3rd of them get new QBs each year.  That's crazy.  I didn't say 'drafted' as I was talking about making it as a QB.  Get drafted may not mean he makes a team.  Even so, he wasn't one of the top 15 QBs last year.  Maybe in the top 40.  He certainly has not demonstrated ANY medicore level of NFL level talent.  Armstrong had a tremendous ARM but was not accurate and neither was Lee.  Even adding in his numerous PICKS, he didn't complete enough % to impress many.  He couldn't escape many sacks and rarely advanced the ball for a first down with his legs.   What exceptional skills does he show beyond having the ability to throw nice spirals in passing drills.  He rarely read defenses and checked into the right plays so far as I could determine.  Really, what did he do at an NFL level?

Seeing as you mentioned that you never watch pro football having a conversation with you about Lee's pro prospects and potential future in the NFL seems like a pointless exercise.  That being said, the litmus test for Lee's draft stock will be who shows up at his pro day.  If some GMs show up to see Lee work out, chances are pretty good he's going to get drafted.  Just scouts?  His chances are not so good.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Seeing as you mentioned that you never watch pro football having a conversation with you about Lee's pro prospects and potential future in the NFL seems like a pointless exercise.  That being said, the litmus test for Lee's draft stock will be who shows up at his pro day.  If some GMs show up to see Lee work out, chances are pretty good he's going to get drafted.  Just scouts?  His chances are not so good.

because you have to be a complete authority on every topic you post on, right?  

On December 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Enhance said:

My concern with him has always been decision making. I don't think it's there at a high enough level to compete in the NFL.

Which is why for a QB that can be fairly accurate he has such a low completion percentage. It's also why these sub-60% guys are so consistent between the college and professional levels. You don't suddenly learn to be a QB because you went to the NFL and the stat correlations show that. 

If I'm a team, I'm not drafting him. First, I think it's generally a mistake taking QBs late due to their naturally high failure rate. Secondly, there is way too much tape of him playing at a consistently poor level to think he'll change. 

20 minutes ago, brophog said:

Which is why for a QB that can be fairly accurate he has such a low completion percentage. It's also why these sub-60% guys are so consistent between the college and professional levels. You don't suddenly learn to be a QB because you went to the NFL and the stat correlations show that. 

If I'm a team, I'm not drafting him. First, I think it's generally a mistake taking QBs late due to their naturally high failure rate. Secondly, there is way too much tape of him playing at a consistently poor level to think he'll change. 

Well, you could take this college career from a 6’4” 210 lb pocket passer:

61% 4,773 yds 30 TD 17 INT (drafted in 6th round)

or this 6’2” 210 lb pocket passer:

52.4% 7,695 yds 52 TD 34 INT

and compare them to this player who is a 6’4” and 220 lb pocket passer:

55.2% 6744 yds 46 TD 37 INT

The first player will be the starting QB in a Super Bowl for the 8th time on Sunday. Mr. Brady has done pretty well. 

The second player is Brett Favre a 3 time NFL MVP (in a row, BTW) and Super Bowl champion. Retired holding every major passing record in NFL history. 

Tanner Lee is the third. 

Nobody predicted much from the other two guys. Maybe we root for him and give him a chance. 

5 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The first player will be the starting QB in a Super Bowl for the 8th time on Sunday. Mr. Brady has done pretty well. 

The second player is Brett Favre a 3 time NFL MVP (in a row, BTW) and Super Bowl champion. Retired holding every major passing record in NFL history. 

Tanner Lee is the third. 

Nobody predicted much from the other two guys. Maybe we root for him and give him a chance. 

I’ll say first that I root for every ex husker when they are in the NFL. I wish Lee only the best and much success. 

HOWEVER

Its easy to find outliers for every situation. They prove nothing. And mean nothing. Most people here are simply using their powers of observation and common sense in their predictions about Lee. For every Favre or Brady there are hundreds of late round or UDFA QBs that you will never hear of. So yeah Lee could be the next TB12. But the overwhelming odds are that he will never even play a down in the NFL. 

I don’t believe the people saying this are rooting against him or anything like that. I’m certainly not. But I don’t think he ever becomes a successful QB on Sundays. Mainly because ya know the whole game thing

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Tanner Lee is the third. 

You are using stats from over 20 years ago to support your arguments for Brady and Favre. It’s a totally different game now, where completion % overall is much higher  and fewer interceptions have much more value than they used to. It’s an apples to oranges argument. 

• Plus1 1