Who starts at QB?

2018 Husker Starting QB  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Whoever starts this year, will most definitely not be billed as the lock to start in year 2.  We are talking about 3+ guys behind Gebbia/POB who will be more suited to run Frost's offense. (AMart, Vedral, 2019 QB Recruit). Not saying Gebbia or POB can't or won't run with it, but it's very possible we have multiple starters over the next 2 years.

My guess is that if Martinez is the starter at the end of this year it will be very difficult for someone to take the starting job next year.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

We THINK he didn't beat him out.  I don't trust any of the previous staffs' judgement with respect to who started on the OL or at QB.  POB would have done just fine in there.

I thought it was total BS that TLee started at PSU, after not practicing (or very little) all week.  POB should have started that game.  Would we have won, hell no, but give the guy who got all the #1 reps a shot, FFS.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

And the Gebbia love fest based off of a single beat writers article and 1 spring game continues....

It's not like we have much to go on with any of them.  1 spring game is as significant as anything in this case.  It's not like anyone is calling for him to replace a 3 year starter.

It's not a "love fest" so much.  The data is just very limited and it's the most promising point of data we have.  

If we get more information that points in a different direction, we'll see people changing their predictions.

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Here you go...I went with their Jr and Sr years except for AMart cause he was injured and didn't have any.

Gebbia :  66.3% with 106 tds. and 20 ints along with 15 rushing tds.

POB :  68.0% with 44 tds and 18 ints along with 21 rushing tds.

AMart :   55.9% with 39 tds and 11 ints along with 14 rushing tds.

POB didn't play much offense until his Jr. year but did complete 3 of 4 pass and had 2 rushing tds his So. year.

AMart didn't play his Sr. year due to injury but started So. and Jr year. 

Not having SR year stats is completely skewed since almost all kids have their best years as SRs. Martinez also didn't play at Calabasas with athletes everywhere. Dismuke, Holmes, Nikko, Johnson Jr...

Edited by BIG ERN
38 minutes ago, obert1 said:

Guessing Gebbia,  any chance SF will play 2, at least early?

I don't think we can rule out the possibility, but in my opinion, it won't happen unless the starter struggles consistently. I think he's going to want to find 'the guy' and tool the offense around their strengths. He was gushing over the flexibility of his offense on Husker Sports Nightly last week so, to me, that suggests he's going to find a way to make the starter feel comfortable.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Not having SR year stats is completely skewed since almost all kids have their best years as SRs. Martinez also didn't play at Calabasas with athletes everywhere. Dismuke, Holmes, Nikko, Johnson Jr...

Isnt it the job of the QB to get the ball to the playmakers on his team?  Looks to me like that is what Gebbia done.  It would have been worrisome if he didnt have those stats and yet had all that talent around him. 

24 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Isnt it the job of the QB to get the ball to the playmakers on his team?  Looks to me like that is what Gebbia done.  It would have been worrisome if he didnt have those stats and yet had all that talent around him. 

I think his point is the stats are probably inflated compared to the other 2. Some of the high school teams are basically all star teams now. It's easier to get the ball to star receivers and they're more likely to get touchdowns. Especially if the other team is just a normal team. Maybe they have 1 or 2 good defensive backs.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

As I said, we have a couple of beat writers who wrote one or two articles about him and we're ready to put him in front of a guy with a bigger arm, just as much wheels (POB ran option in high school), and game experience at the collegeiate level.

All because of those few articles and a single spring game performance you think he is "impressive at every level" and that he "understands the game".

For EVERYONE in this thread...EACH of our QB's in our QB room have the IT factor.  All of them played for winning programs.  All of them had to be super intelligent.  All of them are winners.  All of them want what is best for Nebraska.  All of them know they are really good and that Adrian is coming in to compete.  All of them are leaders.

It really doesn't matter if Gebbia, POB or Martinez start.  The only one with a leg up at current time is POB because of his game experience.

I'd hardly consider 30 attempts at the college level, with most of those in one game against Minnesota, game experience of any significance that would give him a leg up.

• Plus1 2

Frost's first year at UCF he started and played the two previous QB's on the team the first two games. First game worked since they played a 1-AA team, then those two went combined 6/22 and 0 TDs against Michigan. Milton started game 3 and rest of the year after getting zero snaps in the first 2 games. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Michigan being game number 4 and us having a good freshman Martinez coming in. 

18 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Frost's first year at UCF he started and played the two previous QB's on the team the first two games. First game worked since they played a 1-AA team, then those two went combined 6/22 and 0 TDs against Michigan. Milton started game 3 and rest of the year after getting zero snaps in the first 2 games. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Michigan being game number 4 and us having a good freshman Martinez coming in. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see 2 or 3 different starting QB's this year.  This could be due to ineffectiveness, injury, or Martinez making huge strides in practice and Frost wanting him to try him out at as starter.

Tommie Frazier didn't start right away as a true freshman, but he was put in the starting lineup when Mike Grant was holding the team back from success.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1

Possible that Frost plays more than one QB this season, especially if the initial struggles mightily. About that '16 team, Holman was a bad QB, decent athlete but not a very good passer. All of O'Brien, Gebbia and Martinez are more polished as QBs than he was. Holman had the edge athletically but our trio have better arm talent.