What did we learn? The Indiana edition (sponsored by the Greg Louganis Diving School)

7 hours ago, Decked said:

There is no point playing older players with poor effort. Play the young guys. As is we would be lucky to get to a bowl 

I can agree with all the above, but the game was lost on 3rd & 2 when Frost decided to throw a sideways pass, instead of running the ball. Resulting in a fumble and 7 points for them.

Frost then blames the players for finding ways to lose.

He lost it with PAC12 play calling.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

The biggest momentum changing mistakes in the game were by Scott Frost guys.  Vedral thought it was a great idea to try to flip the ball out rather than eat the sack.  The biggest play of the game.  Mike Williams lines up incorrectly,  so instead of a 1st down, we have a missed FG.  Noa fumbles the ball.  Those 3 are Frost guys. 

Is Kade Warner playing?  

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, SFW said:

I can agree with all the above, but the game was lost on 3rd & 2 when Frost decided to throw a sideways pass, instead of running the ball. Resulting in a fumble and 7 points for them.

Frost then blames the players for finding ways to lose.

He lost it with PAC12 play calling.

have to agree with this.  he gets cute way too often.

8 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe TO turned to Bowden and FSU's staff to help fix the defense.  McBride was the DC at the time and used the knowledge gained to produce some outstanding defenses.  Without the help I'm not sure anything would have changed and the fan's opinion of McBride was probably right.  Anyone with more knowledge about that time please correct me.  Because our staff is young and inexperienced, I really think they would benefit a lot by having some unemployed head coaches on staff as analysts whose only job is to analyze what we are doing on offense and defense.  They can identify weaknesses and specific things we need to improve on.  The coaches can focus on game planning for specific opponents.  I believe Saban utilizes his analysts to game plan for opponents but I think we need help identifying things we are doing wrong.

Our defenses at the time were based out of the old 5-2 and we could handle anything in the Big 8 until it came time for OU and even then the 5-2 was not a disadvantage. Our D line was always very strong and well disciplined, like Wisconsin of today. However when it came time to play the Bowl game against a national opponent our lack of speed got exposed.   The low point for me was the (1991?) bowl against GT where we pretty much got drubbed, it actually reminds me of yesterdays game.  Yes flags flew at half staff a few years earlier after Miami blanked us but it was MIAMI.  But it still hurt.

They switched to the 4-3 defense and REALLY stressed pressure coming off the edge.  They would line up one or two linebackers at the line so you could not tell if they were coming on a blitz or backing up into coverage.  The thing was whenever a high flying team tried that 30 yd pass there was always a dude in red right on him, swatting that ball down.  Our man coverage 1993-1995 was just outstanding.  They saved multiple scores just by being right on the dude.  I can"t even count the times one of our little D backs would sky at just the right moment and knock that ball away just as it was getting to the receiver's hands.  It seemed the motto was "You Get Nothin'!"

Also though , those boys played physical our safeties hit so hard across the middle they would be ejected today and we would be flagged for some of our QB hits as well.  And that is not an idictment of the old team as much as it is to say how the game sucks now.

In fact the game is in some weird grey area now between real football and ultimate frisbee.  If you never experienced the game back in the 90's you probably don't understand.  When the Safeties,linebackers, and D ends are allowed to Hit the game of football gets faster.  It has to because as a offensive player if you know that guy is going to clean your clock, you play lower and get down faster.  You go over the middle quicker.  You run the ball more to take pressure off that QB.  There were also less commercial breaks, way less flags usually, and the game was just more enjoyable to watch.  

With these multi-million dollar pro quarterbacks I think they want to go toward no hitting of the QB at all.  But if you do that you might as well just go toward 7 on 7 passing league, QB can't run.  

These contrived "targetting" penalties have really changed the game for the worse in my view.  Like light beer or guar gum ice cream.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, lo country said:

This is what is worrisome.  The better coached team has won against us a lot the past 2 years......

This. When hired, I remember discussions about how Frost was still green in and everyone was ok with it. But it sure is rearing it’s head right now. There are two conferences that in order to win, you must have had successful coaching experience in as an assistant and that is the  SEC and B10.  I’m not sure how this will play out. I just don’t think he can get it done with Chin and the rest of the D’s coaching crew. But I also fear he’s too stubborn to make changes. 

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

This. When hired, I remember discussions about how Frost was still green in and everyone was ok with it. But it sure is rearing it’s head right now. There are two conferences that in order to win, you must have had successful coaching experience in as an assistant and that is the  SEC and B10.  I’m not sure how this will play out. I just don’t think he can get it done with Chin and the rest of the D’s coaching crew. But I also fear he’s too stubborn to make changes. 

The word "stubborn" is one of the weirdest words for this.  Coaches are loyal.

And of all fans to be calling for coaching changes, Nebraska fans......good gawd.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The word "stubborn" is one of the weirdest words for this.  Coaches are loyal.

And of all fans to be calling for coaching changes, Nebraska fans......good gawd.

Is he loyal? I remember him going to Stanford. And then leaving Stanford.  

Most of the players mad about losing are the underclassmen. The upperclassmen are Riley's boys who don't care. We can't replace them yet because we don't have enough depth.  Teams that are successful have players that police themselves. People longing for days of coaches being mean like McBride are living in the dark ages. When Pelini yelled, the team crapped it's pants. Players are different these days.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, roadrat said:

Most of the players mad about losing are the underclassmen. The upperclassmen are Riley's boys who don't care. We can't replace them yet because we don't have enough depth.  Teams that are successful have players that police themselves. People longing for days of coaches being mean like McBride are living in the dark ages. When Pelini yelled, the team crapped it's pants. Players are different these days.

Do you think Saban, Meyer and Dabo don’t yell? 

In my opinion all methods work if you win, you win you get respect. You get respect kids listen. Just win and you can talk calmly to the kids all you want