Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

ZMagers22, I think you make very valid points.  My problem is I don't believe we are hearing from the greater medical community but rather from politically driven news agencies.  I personally think everyone is still learning and there are no "experts".  I'm trying to remain objective but my eyes and ears are telling me we are sheep right now and I don't like it.  I know several "average" people who have had this.  A couple got really sick but they survived.  Most compared it to a cold or less.  

We were told the country was being shut down to prevent an overload of our hospitals.  Flatten the curve...  Our hospitals are in great shape as far as room goes.  Time to open up and let everyone be responsible for their own health.  Should we resume sports?  Absolutely in my opinion.

• Plus1 4

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

And here I am with my 6ft penis thinking I’m safe to engage in casual, socially-distanced sex during lockdown. Then this bombshell. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Pet peeve: if what you have to say requires piss poor sentence structure, grammar, and/or more than one Tweet, find a different media...

I hate Twitter...

Thought you'd all like my random thoughts.  There you go, you're welcome.  Now back to what you were talking about...

On 5/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.  One thing that I'm really getting sick and tired of is when a death is mentioned...almost immediately, someone says...."Well, he has other health problems".  Like, hey, you have high blood pressure....so, it's fine if you die.

People live with these conditions for years.  It's not OK if they....oh well, got COVID and died.  They were going to die anyway.

I couldn’t agree more. I’d venture to say that most people over 35 or 40 years old (and many younger than that) have some pre-existing health condition(s). It shouldn’t be used as any kind of excuse to downplay the virus toll.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Pet peeve: if what you have to say requires piss poor sentence structure, grammar, and/or more than one Tweet, find a different media...

Generally speaking, I agree with you.  

But trying to live Tweet a press conference probably isn't easy.

10 hours ago, Hilltop said:

ZMagers22, I think you make very valid points.  My problem is I don't believe we are hearing from the greater medical community but rather from politically driven news agencies.  I personally think everyone is still learning and there are no "experts".  I'm trying to remain objective but my eyes and ears are telling me we are sheep right now and I don't like it.  I know several "average" people who have had this.  A couple got really sick but they survived.  Most compared it to a cold or less.  

We were told the country was being shut down to prevent an overload of our hospitals.  Flatten the curve...  Our hospitals are in great shape as far as room goes.  Time to open up and let everyone be responsible for their own health.  Should we resume sports?  Absolutely in my opinion.

I understand where you’re coming from and how you feel. There is so much misinformation, and much of it seems as though it is for political gain only. It’s extremely frustrating to hear stuff coming out of both sides of the isle that are not accurate. If you’re getting your information from evening news shows on MSNBC, Fox News or CNN, it’s most likely opinion and highly inaccurate.

Hopefully, when this is all said and done, you still don’t know anyone impacted by this virus. I’m not a good comparison for you or the general public because of the nature of my job. I know far too many families that have lost, or nearly lost loved ones across the country. However, here is one of the great stories out of western Nebraska from a family I know: https://www.westernnebraskaobserver.net/story/2020/04/30/news/kimballs-john-aguiniga-beats-covid-19/6285.html

I work in the greater medical community, doing quality and safety consulting for 37 hospitals and 746 clinics. Our company is currently contracted to work with 2,876 hospitals (roughly 70% of all hospitals in the nation) of the facilities in the country, and over 23,000 clinics (roughly 73% of all clinics). I only know of one of the hundreds of doctors I partner with that agree with Dr. Atlas. 

We’re working day in and day out, 7 days a week to help these hospitals, university researchers and the CDC by analyzing quality indicator data sets and other indicators of critical aspects of care. I’m not on the front lines, but I know so many that are, including my wife and 9 of her family members. The data and recommendations coming from the CDC are accurate, albeit some of their recommendations are conservative. The prediction models are becoming more and more accurate every week. Unfortunately, with any novel virus, there is going to be a learning curve. 

If we open up, and everyone adheres to social distancing guidelines, we’ll continue to see the same flattened curve that will keep our medical surgical beds from being used as ICU beds (as that’s what is happening now in most major cities. There may be open medical surgical beds, but the ICU acute level rooms are over capacity in 28 of the 37 facilities I work with). If people ignore the guidelines, we’ll see a lot more people die. It’s that simple. Currently, there are many people who refuse to follow the recommendations and continue to believe they know more than subject matter experts. Because of that, my money is on it taking 18-36 months before social distancing recommendations are relaxed.

36 months?! Really? This week, we heard from infectious disease doctors that they estimate it will take 36 months for us to have enough herd  immunity through natural infection or vaccination to get back to “normal”. I can promise you they won’t have vaccines for everyone in 12 months like some media outlets are publishing. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

One thing is for certain, I know far more about this situation that I do about football. Never believe a damn thing I say about football.

A good friend of mine, and Chief Medical Officer at a facility I used to work with used to tell his patients that were unsure about procedure recommendations or when talking patients out of I’ll advised surgery requests “Have faith in businessmen when they make recommendations on how to run a business that doesn’t compete with them or their money. Trust stock brokers for trading stocks when their commission is based on your success. Have faith in clinicians to guide you in your healthcare needs, but always seek another opinion if they don’t listen to you .  But, never, ever trust a politician... especially in an election year.” Them the rules!

Stay safe and healthy gentleman! I’ve got reports to review, and mama is going to be pissed if I’m working again Sunday since she has the day off. Be back in a few weeks to provide more bad football takes. 

• Plus1 1

I really appreciate you taking the time to thoughtfully respond.  It's hard for the average person to trust much right now so an opinion like yours helps.  I wish there were an outlet where people could just go to get real information, good and bad.  

4 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

I understand where you’re coming from and how you feel. There is so much misinformation, and much of it seems as though it is for political gain only. It’s extremely frustrating to hear stuff coming out of both sides of the isle that are not accurate. If you’re getting your information from evening news shows on MSNBC, Fox News or CNN, it’s most likely opinion and highly inaccurate.

Hopefully, when this is all said and done, you still don’t know anyone impacted by this virus. I’m not a good comparison for you or the general public because of the nature of my job. I know far too many families that have lost, or nearly lost loved ones across the country. However, here is one of the great stories out of western Nebraska from a family I know: https://www.westernnebraskaobserver.net/story/2020/04/30/news/kimballs-john-aguiniga-beats-covid-19/6285.html

I work in the greater medical community, doing quality and safety consulting for 37 hospitals and 746 clinics. Our company is currently contracted to work with 2,876 hospitals (roughly 70% of all hospitals in the nation) of the facilities in the country, and over 23,000 clinics (roughly 73% of all clinics). I only know of one of the hundreds of doctors I partner with that agree with Dr. Atlas. 

We’re working day in and day out, 7 days a week to help these hospitals, university researchers and the CDC by analyzing quality indicator data sets and other indicators of critical aspects of care. I’m not on the front lines, but I know so many that are, including my wife and 9 of her family members. The data and recommendations coming from the CDC are accurate, albeit some of their recommendations are conservative. The prediction models are becoming more and more accurate every week. Unfortunately, with any novel virus, there is going to be a learning curve. 

If we open up, and everyone adheres to social distancing guidelines, we’ll continue to see the same flattened curve that will keep our medical surgical beds from being used as ICU beds (as that’s what is happening now in most major cities. There may be open medical surgical beds, but the ICU acute level rooms are over capacity in 28 of the 37 facilities I work with). If people ignore the guidelines, we’ll see a lot more people die. It’s that simple. Currently, there are many people who refuse to follow the recommendations and continue to believe they know more than subject matter experts. Because of that, my money is on it taking 18-36 months before social distancing recommendations are relaxed.

36 months?! Really? This week, we heard from infectious disease doctors that they estimate it will take 36 months for us to have enough herd  immunity through natural infection or vaccination to get back to “normal”. I can promise you they won’t have vaccines for everyone in 12 months like some media outlets are publishing. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

One thing is for certain, I know far more about this situation that I do about football. Never believe a damn thing I say about football.

A good friend of mine, and Chief Medical Officer at a facility I used to work with used to tell his patients that were unsure about procedure recommendations or when talking patients out of I’ll advised surgery requests “Have faith in businessmen when they make recommendations on how to run a business that doesn’t compete with them or their money. Trust stock brokers for trading stocks when their commission is based on your success. Have faith in clinicians to guide you in your healthcare needs, but always seek another opinion if they don’t listen to you .  But, never, ever trust a politician... especially in an election year.” Them the rules!

Stay safe and healthy gentleman! I’ve got reports to review, and mama is going to be pissed if I’m working again Sunday since she has the day off. Be back in a few weeks to provide more bad football takes. 

You're not wrong about vaccines.  They have taken longer in the past than 12 months to develop, test, etc.  Dr. Fauci stated 18 months would be a record for a vaccine.  

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Generally speaking, I agree with you.  

But trying to live Tweet a press conference probably isn't easy.

I know, I get it.  It just frustrates me that reporters feel the need to "live Tweet" anything.  If you aren't broadcasting video, just sit down, ask questions, write down the answers, take notes and then go write a news article.  

If I was in that big of hurry to get the information from Rickett's press conference, I would have just watched it.  I'm only 39 and I feel like an old man shouting at clouds when I see this :lol:

Wow...the deaths are really down yesterday and today.  It would be AWESOME if this is the trend.  However, It's possible it's just a matter of being the weekend.  If you look back, there's a trend of Saturday, Sunday, Monday being lower and then Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday being way up.  That's because people don't die on weekends.  They wait till the hospital is fully staffed for the main part of the week.  OK...bad joke.

But...Let's hope this is a major step in the right direction.  Let's hope the trend holds through the week.  

Hoping they get this figured out.  I am more worried about this country surviving this and the political and media hype attached to it.  Being a Marine for 26 years, I don't adapt well to cowering in a corner any where.  Which I have not done for one single day.  I deal with the virus on a daily basis and my wife is on the front line of it and has been since this started.  

I have many friends that have lost their jobs, their businesses and most likely will lose their homes.  People that are so terrified they will not go out side for any reason.  I take groceries to ten older couples in my area.  They will never be the same.  This country will not survive 36 months of this.

I live in SoCal and it appears most are over this, they are opening their businesses.  Going back to work one way or another.

A friend that is a California Fire Fighter, tells me every single death, no matter the cause is first listed as a Covid death.  It can be removed, but supposedly the state gets money from the Federal Government per case and per death.  No idea if this is true, but a very easy way to increase numbers for fear mongering.

Social distancing is not working in New York.  56% of the current cases are from in shelter people.  How does that add up.  You die if you go out, you die if you stay inside. 

Old people, sick people are the largest numbers of death.  Obesity is a major cause, as Hyper-tension, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes all seem to accompany most over weight people.  

I think Florida got it right.  Protect those that are on the edge. 

Again, I hope we have a football season.

Oregon says no football in September, California Governor says he does not see large events happening in California until next year.  They all seem to want to out do the other, one way or another

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, skersfan said:

Hoping they get this figured out.  I am more worried about this country surviving this and the political and media hype attached to it.  Being a Marine for 26 years, I don't adapt well to cowering in a corner any where.  Which I have not done for one single day.  I deal with the virus on a daily basis and my wife is on the front line of it and has been since this started.  

I have many friends that have lost their jobs, their businesses and most likely will lose their homes.  People that are so terrified they will not go out side for any reason.  I take groceries to ten older couples in my area.  They will never be the same.  This country will not survive 36 months of this.

I live in SoCal and it appears most are over this, they are opening their businesses.  Going back to work one way or another.

A friend that is a California Fire Fighter, tells me every single death, no matter the cause is first listed as a Covid death.  It can be removed, but supposedly the state gets money from the Federal Government per case and per death.  No idea if this is true, but a very easy way to increase numbers for fear mongering.

Social distancing is not working in New York.  56% of the current cases are from in shelter people.  How does that add up.  You die if you go out, you die if you stay inside. 

Old people, sick people are the largest numbers of death.  Obesity is a major cause, as Hyper-tension, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes all seem to accompany most over weight people.  

I think Florida got it right.  Protect those that are on the edge. 

Again, I hope we have a football season.

Oregon says no football in September, California Governor says he does not see large events happening in California until next year.  They all seem to want to out do the other, one way or another

have heard the same, docs and hospitals getting paid for cause of death listed as co-vid....corruption is rife in the system.

23 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

have heard the same, docs and hospitals getting paid for cause of death listed as co-vid....corruption is rife in the system.

Actually, medicare addressed this rumor. The fact is, yes hospital administrators flat rate increases when a medicare patient is hospitalized with a critical respiratory illness and tripled when/if a ventilator is necessary. The catch however is, this policy applies to any and all respiratory illnesses not just the covid virus. Below is a 2017 (before covid 19) quote from the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)

For less severe hospitalizations, we use the average Medicare payment for respiratory infections and inflammations with major comorbidities or complications in 2017, which was $13,297. For more severe hospitalizations, we use the average Medicare payment for a respiratory system diagnosis with ventilator support for greater than 96 hours, which was $40,218.