B1G Officially Cancels 2020 Season, What’s Next For NU?

5 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

So according to the following I would say people of advanced age and with comorbidities should stay at home.  Everything else should open up.  Play football!

EgnJb5NXcAA68Xc?format=jpg&name=small 

This is being discussed in the 2020 no football thread. But basically this is a misrepresentation of what that data represents and what comorbidity means.

• Plus1 2

On 8/30/2020 at 8:27 AM, GBRFAN said:

It's so fun to just attach those two words to a thought when you can't  debunk it. 

I just have realized over time how easy it is for someone to gaslight the feeble intellect of conspiracy theorists who believe Queen Elizabeth II is a space alien and Tom Hanks is a pedophile and a cannibal.  The family of Herman Cain put out a tweet that Covid-19 wasn't that dangerous yesterday because they know the stupidity of a lot of Americans and lack of accountability when it comes to red and blue team politics.  Saying the Big Ten's decision is about the election is a simple, but false and dumb way of explaining away a much more complex decision.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I imagine Warren is just counting down the days until the other conferences break down and raise the white flag on this season. Honestly, at this point I don't think it's a matter of if, but when.

University of Alabama orders faculty to keep quiet about outbreak:

https://www.ajc.com/news/university-of-alabama-orders-faculty-to-keep-quiet-about-outbreak/7ZAHSQPNDRBINBEF3A6YAVMPRE/

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Toe said:

I imagine Warren is just counting down the days until the other conferences break down and raise the white flag on this season. Honestly, at this point I don't think it's a matter of if, but when.

University of Alabama orders faculty to keep quiet about outbreak:

https://www.ajc.com/news/university-of-alabama-orders-faculty-to-keep-quiet-about-outbreak/7ZAHSQPNDRBINBEF3A6YAVMPRE/

I'm sure he and the conference are praying for that. Still doesn't excuse the poor communications or lack of leadership so this one will stick for awhile.

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Iowa St will have 25,000 fans in the stadium for the opener. Also a nice policy of no fans the next game if fans don't follow protocols put in place. 

Iowa will not be playing football this fall. I can't imagine the Iowa athletic department is too happy that football will be played with butts in the seats 2 hours away.

Agreed, similar situation to Ohio State and Cincinnati. Going to be some complex in-state recruitment going on for the next 3-4 years for those guys if Cincy & Iowa State get a full schedule in and are able to filter out their senior classes like normal.

Going to be harder to convince Joe Blow to attend Iowa City, waiting two or more years before getting a real crack at playing time versus going up to Ames, taking a redshirt and then competing after a year. 

• Thanks 1
On 8/30/2020 at 6:50 AM, flatwaterfan said:

So according to the following I would say people of advanced age and with comorbidities should stay at home.  Everything else should open up.  Play football!

EgnJb5NXcAA68Xc?format=jpg&name=small 

This has been widely discredited, making the rounds from the QAnon crowd.

The CDC has never hidden the fact that COVID fatalities disproportionately affect the more elderly:  I think around 80% of fatalities in U.S. are among the 65+ demographic. It's fairly negligible from ages 0 -44, unless you're related to the dead person I suppose, so the legit stats can still be used to support the playing of college football without going off into the conspiracy deep end.

You could still make the case that young people who ignore social distancing because they believe themselves immortal could prolong the pandemic in the general population, or put the larger support staff at UNL at risk, and that no doubt influences some of the thinking. But I'm almost certain college football could put together better testing and mitigation than the average meat-packing plant that's allowed to stay open. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I just have realized over time how easy it is for someone to gaslight the feeble intellect of conspiracy theorists who believe Queen Elizabeth II is a space alien and Tom Hanks is a pedophile and a cannibal.  The family of Herman Cain put out a tweet that Covid-19 wasn't that dangerous yesterday because they know the stupidity of a lot of Americans and lack of accountability when it comes to red and blue team politics.  Saying the Big Ten's decision is about the election is a simple, but false and dumb way of explaining away a much more complex decision.

who is saying this is a decision based off the election?

To me, this is clearly just a fight to minimize the catastrophic effect of this pandemic and what it will mean for the university and other sports teams by losing out on your bell weather revenue streams, when equal institutions are powering forward.

All bout $$$ at the end of the day... Big10 didnt want the risk due to liability.. Liability if guilty= a lot of lost money

They also want to protect their #1 rev generating activity as a Power 5 school.  Football= Money coming in

Money is king baby, cash rules everything around me

8 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

For the first two thirds of your rant i'm not sure what the purpose of it is.  regarding football if you can't see the parallels of the decisions of conferences to play or not play football and their tendency to vote red or blue then i guess you don't see patterns to the same degree as others do. 

I guess if you’re Liberty University you could go either way.

• Haha 3
On 8/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, GBRFAN said:

For the first two thirds of your rant i'm not sure what the purpose of it is.  regarding football if you can't see the parallels of the decisions of conferences to play or not play football and their tendency to vote red or blue then i guess you don't see patterns to the same degree as others do. 

If you look up energy and environmental policies based on political leaning of a state you are likely to see the same pattern. But climate change is a slower moving problem so it can’t really be claimed these policies exist in order to sway a presidential election. These states don’t have stricter policies in order to win a presidential election; they have stricter policies because their constituents voted in people who care about these issues.

Long story short, correlation does not imply causation. Even if there is a pattern and it’s political, it is far more likely these states are wanting to be safer about football because their leaders and their citizens are more concerned about the virus, not because they have some nefarious plot to take down Trump by canceling football and blaming it on his handling of the virus. Trump supporters and states with more Trump supporters are less concerned about the virus because they trust Trump more. 

I believe the rant was about certain people being attracted to nutty conspiracy theories when there is usually a much more obvious, likely reason for something, i.e. occam’s razor. 

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If you look up energy and environmental policies based on political leaning of a state you are likely to see the same pattern. But climate change is a slower moving problem so it can’t really be claimed these policies exist in order to sway a presidential election. These states don’t have stricter policies in order to win a presidential election; they have stricter policies because their constituents voted in people who care about these issues.

Long story short, correlation does not imply causation. Even if there is a pattern and it’s political, it is far more likely these states are wanting to be safer about football because their leaders and their citizens are more concerned about the virus, not because they have some nefarious plot to take down Trump by canceling football and blaming it on his handling of the virus. Trump supporters and states with more Trump supporters are less concerned about the virus because they trust Trump more. 

I believe the rant was about certain people being attracted to nutty conspiracy theories when there is usually a much more obvious, likely reason for something, i.e. occam’s razor. 

You make some very good points here.  My biggest issue is how is A a bigger risk tthen B

A: take 85 kids times 2 and another dozen coaches on both side with a handful of support members (refs and sideline help) - that have all been tested and cleared to spend a couple hours in an open air environment playing a contact sport.

B: 10,000 kids in their school environment that have or have not been tested hanging out and doing 99.9% of the things that college students do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1