What is the future of the Republican Party?

47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Being the stickler for word choice that you have been, which campaign has had infinite amount of money and resources to spend?  

which campaign has the expertise to manipulate AND control ALL of your vulnerabilities?  

Im quite certain many many Democrats are glad Obama didn’t take your theory to heart.  

I'm contrasting the weight and power of one single citizen versus an entire political apparatus. When you're just a person who's hopelessly outmatched, I'm talking about all campaigns.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

What is this, 2015? People are making the same arguments against voting for the Dem candidate they made back then. 

History truly teaches us nothing. 

I get where you and others are coming from, but smart voters can look at the polls and know what risk not voting Dem brings for Trump getting elected.

For example, I voted Green Party in 2016, which didn't change the fact that Hillary got the electoral votes from Colorado. It was to send a statement to both parties to get better candidates. In 2020 I voted Dem because I felt the risk of Trump was too much to chance.

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

What is this, 2015? People are making the same arguments against voting for the Dem candidate they made back then. 

History truly teaches us nothing. 

Every county in Okla voted RED.   I'll try to send a vote to both parties - Pick better candidates please.   If I were in a state where it mattered or if we had election by popular vote only - I'd vote Biden over Trump or  Desantis in a heartbeat.    

To me the Parties have learned nothing.   This should be a no brainer for the Dems.  While Biden has accomplished some good things, his age is a huge issue.  The Dems would win big time, IMHO, if they go with a quality younger candidate.  The GOP is stuck in the cult. They are incapable of learning until they get trounced at the polls. 

42 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Every county in Okla voted RED.   I'll try to send a vote to both parties - Pick better candidates please.   If I were in a state where it mattered or if we had election by popular vote only - I'd vote Biden over Trump or  Desantis in a heartbeat.    

To me the Parties have learned nothing.   This should be a no brainer for the Dems.  While Biden has accomplished some good things, his age is a huge issue.  The Dems would win big time, IMHO, if they go with a quality younger candidate.  The GOP is stuck in the cult. They are incapable of learning until they get trounced at the polls. 

Yep….republicans have hot to keep losing to get the message. 

A younger version of Biden would win in a landslide right now. 

15 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm contrasting the weight and power of one single citizen versus an entire political apparatus. When you're just a person who's hopelessly outmatched, I'm talking about all campaigns.

It’s refreshing to see you are able to learn and grow to understand that political candidates do not have an infinite amount of money or resources like you claimed.   Well done 

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for local Republican candidates in Northern California, as everything they do is symbolic with no chance of winning. The party sends anyone willing into the thresher, and they typically aren't great voices or good candidates, but when a savvy conservative or even pragmatist emerges it does get your attention. That person would have to be their own maverick, as the party isn't going to let them pick and choose the issues that matter to them if it takes away from the national strategy of Dem sponsored pedophilia and waving guns around. The local GOP actually have signs that read "Yes, there ARE Republicans in Marin County!"

So what are the local candidates like in Oklahoma? Do any of the good ones get traction and make it to local and state GOP positions, or do they get drowned out by the louder culture warriors and Trump loyalists? 

30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for local Republican candidates in Northern California, as everything they do is symbolic with no chance of winning. The party sends anyone willing into the thresher, and they typically aren't great voices or good candidates, but when a savvy conservative or even pragmatist emerges it does get your attention. That person would have to be their own maverick, as the party isn't going to let them pick and choose the issues that matter to them if it takes away from the national strategy of Dem sponsored pedophilia and waving guns around. The local GOP actually have signs that read "Yes, there ARE Republicans in Marin County!"

So what are the local candidates like in Oklahoma? Do any of the good ones get traction and make it to local and state GOP positions, or do they get drowned out by the louder culture warriors and Trump loyalists? 

Don't know about OK.  But, here in Nebraska, there is no way any new candidate is going to get traction without spewing a certain level of MAGAt talk.  Our current governor is a prime example.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Don't know about OK.  But, here in Nebraska, there is no way any new candidate is going to get traction without spewing a certain level of MAGAt talk.  Our current governor is a prime example.

Oh and lots of talk about not having progress, keeping out gambling and probably trying to raise the drinking age to 65

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I'm not sure what crime infested Republican thread to put this in but since the GOP is ok with this and since he's the unquestioned leader, I'll assume that's the future they want.  

Again… his followers must think the bad things will only happen to other people, even though Trump truly doesn’t give a s#!t about them 

20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Right now, they are getting drowned out.  We have a very good, young mayor in Tulsa.  He comes from a conservative family of politicians of which his uncle and grandfather were mayors before him - many years apart.  He would be an excellent moderate candidate for any statewide race - even the Dems like him. He is intelligent, knowledgeable, thoughtful & well spoken (the antithesis of many of the GOP 'leaders') and he actually led during covid.  He also did not attend the infamous Trump Tulsa rally in June of 2020 nor did he ever show any support for Trump.   He however, would have a hard time with the 'red meat' meat grinder that is GOP politics in Oklahoma.  We have a governor and legislature who are trying to out do every other state in establishing their trumpian credentials.  Mark Way Mullen, formerly 2nd District House member, replaced Jim Inholfe in the US Senate when Jim retired.   Mullin is the guy, while in the House, who presented legislation to have both of Trump's impeachments removed/revoked.  Mullen is the guy who personally invited Trump to Tulsa to watch the Big 12 wrestling tournament.  Mullen is the guy who broke his promise to not seek a 3rd House term and ran again and won in spite of his broken promise. He won the Senate seat in a landslide.   Senator Lankford is a good guy and I generally support him but he has had his moments.  He was at the podium speaking when J6 occured and they had to evacuate the champers.  He was one of the senators that were speaking for a delay of the vote.  After the Senate came back into session after the riot, Lankford had a change of heart - and did not support the delay.  He saw the ugliness.   

Before Mullen was elected to the 2nd District,  David Boren's (long time Dem Senator and Okla Governor) son was the 2nd District Dem Congressman.  The Dems owned that district for the most part.  Boren was an excellent moderate Dem Congressman very popular.  But after a few terms he saw the writing on the wall (I believe it was 2012 - Tea Party time) and decided not to run again.   It was a huge loss for the state in my opinion.  I live in the 21st district but if I was in the 2nd District I would have voted for Boren in a heartbeat.  But good moderates get mowed under by the cult.   Mullen had good moderates run against him, same result.  Hard to believe, but this is the same district that elected former House Speaker Carl Albert to the house and who was 2nd in line during the Nixon -Watergate era.