Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

Just now, Canadian Fan said:

I’d also be looking at an experienced Center in case Jurgens continues to struggle with snaps or gets injured....

Not a bad thought but not we aren't very attractive to any experienced centers looking to transfer.  Nobody wants to transfer knowing they are going to, at best, be the number 2 guy.  

Just now, Hilltop said:

Not a bad thought but not we aren't very attractive to any experienced centers looking to transfer.  Nobody wants to transfer knowing they are going to, at best, be the number 2 guy.  

Any rumours on current OL who are working at that position?  I was curious if they’d try out Nouili as if he can snap, he’s certainly got a nice frame to deal with B1G DT’s and NT’s.

6 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Any rumours on current OL who are working at that position?  I was curious if they’d try out Nouili as if he can snap, he’s certainly got a nice frame to deal with B1G DT’s and NT’s.

Pretty sure Piper was working at center some but moved to guard because that's where he was needed more.  But I would think could go back if needed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Cam may never be reliable as a snapper, Frost should get over his obsession with him and make a change!

Same with Martinez, he is too damn inconsistent. Bring someone in.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
57 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think many fans from both side of the positive/negative spectrum view this coming season as a year that we should take a significant step forward.  If we miss a bowl game again, I think Moos/Frost will have no choice but to make some serious changes.  

I don't think it comes to that though.  I really believe we win 7+ games next year and gain some traction.  I don't think we need any help from the portal as mentioned above but we might as well try to fill open spots if the right fit is available on the offensive side of the ball.

With the transfer rules changing without the 25-a-class rule changing, I think it's going to become increasingly important to hit that 25-man quota or your roster is going to fall behind and you won't be able to fill all your schollies. I think we should definitely fill the open spots with people if we think they can even remotely contribute or provide depth.   

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Fan said:

Not that I have heard but, as Mavric mentions, we have a couple guys capable of the position with a little work.  

48 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Cam may never be reliable as a snapper, Frost should get over his obsession with him and make a change!

Cam will play on Sundays at the center position.  He has improved his snapping considerably and blocks as well as anyone at that position, regardless of class.  Martinez was in the top few in the nation in completion percentage last year.  He consistently hit the targets that he was presented with and played within the system that he was being coached to.  Not sure if you noticed, but we moved the ball pretty dang good most games this year when we didn't make silly mistakes.  Penalties, and other mistakes hurt us.  Lack of downfield passing threats hurt us.  Lack of a healthy running back hurt us.  As I stated in another thread, Martinez would look pretty damn good if the pieces around him were solid.    

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

Without starting up another dialogue on snapping, they made some adjustments after the Iowa game and snapping didn't appear to be an issue the rest of the season. Given that the top two backups at center left this offseason, Jurgens will be the starter. Any groaning over that will fall on deaf ears until the season starts.

• Plus1 7
21 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Without starting up another dialogue on snapping, they made some adjustments after the Iowa game and snapping didn't appear to be an issue the rest of the season. Given that the top two backups at center left this offseason, Jurgens will be the starter. Any groaning over that will fall on deaf ears until the season starts.

I seem to remember someone saying or posted they had change how he was setting up over the ball and it helped.  Others have said the issues seem to arise when he is having to pull. TBH, that is the least of my offensive worries right now. not that it isn't a concern.

As to all of the "Potential". We have a lot.  But I think it was Lombardi who said it's potential because you haven't done anything yet......

• Plus1 2

Need to take 25 this year for sure. A couple options we have left.

IF Avante signs.

1 Go after a D-lineman in the portal OR

2 Get a plug and play O-lineman to help with depth/start. 

Numbers on the D-line are fine, but another young guy would help.

IF Avante does not sign(looking more likely)

1 Go after a young D-lineman for numbers.

2 Get an O-lineman that can pug and play after we have lost some vets on the line. Had a few transfer as well, but numbers at this spot are still really good.

3 Get a younger CB in the portal that can develop and is the right fit. Secondary numbers were down for 2021, so a younger guy with some years left to play would be solid. 

4 Can't miss offensive weapon at the WR spot. We are probably done here, but if there is the right guy we might as well add to our numbers. 

5 Give a scholarship to either Ezra Miller, Oliver Martin, or Isaac Gifford* who were walk-ons that could get a scholarship.

*Not sure if he is on scholarship yet or when that would take effect. 

21 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Need to take 25 this year for sure. A couple options we have left.

IF Avante signs.

1 Go after a D-lineman in the portal OR

2 Get a plug and play O-lineman to help with depth/start. 

Numbers on the D-line are fine, but another young guy would help.

IF Avante does not sign(looking more likely)

1 Go after a young D-lineman for numbers.

2 Get an O-lineman that can pug and play after we have lost some vets on the line. Had a few transfer as well, but numbers at this spot are still really good.

3 Get a younger CB in the portal that can develop and is the right fit. Secondary numbers were down for 2021, so a younger guy with some years left to play would be solid. 

4 Can't miss offensive weapon at the WR spot. We are probably done here, but if there is the right guy we might as well add to our numbers. 

5 Give a scholarship to either Ezra Miller, Oliver Martin, or Isaac Gifford* who were walk-ons that could get a scholarship.

*Not sure if he is on scholarship yet or when that would take effect. 

I think Gifford already got his s holly. I think there are quite a few guys that will be ahead of Ezra Miller. Maybe Ty Hahn will get his as I believe they guaranteed him a scholarship within 2 years.

They are gonna go after two portal guys or potentially a JUCO. Makes no sense to grab a DL. Get a safety or two offensive guys. Hopefully a WR and maybe an OG. I don’t like the talent at that RG spot. It’s gonna be the same as last year as it sits. 

• Plus1 1

When you look at who transferred out the last couple of years and see what happened to them, one would think kids would start to realize the grass is not greener for the majority of those that transferred. 

K Dylan - no school listed

Cox - no school listed

Stalbird - South dakota state - has not seen the field

Moses Bryant - no school listed

Tony butler - kent state - only played in 4 games for 15 tackles

vedral - rutgers, 1,253 yards passing

chase - portland state - no season

jaiden francois - didn't see the field after a season at UCF

Forbes - Montana - no season

legrone - no school listed

bradly - no school listed

washington - no school liste

hunt - no school listed

woodyard - marshall - 1catch

miles jones - TN - never saw the field

mcquitty - south dakota - no season

jd - tcu - only played in 3 games for 5 catches - no post season invite to anywhere. He claimed to leave to do what is best for his career as a football player. That career appears to be over. 

henry gray - fiu - didn't see the field in 2020

paup - no school listed

jefferson - no school listed

So, the 2020 departures

- 1 basically ruined his football career going to TCU

- 15 didn't have a season in 2020 or didn't find a school (that is publicly found)

-  some might see the field at their current schools in the future, but impact at any of the schools if they were illegible. 

Cole - south dakota state - 1 field goal.

caleb - oregon state - 26 punts after two seasons

smith - no school listed

cam - smu - 14 tackles after 2 seasons

thomas - colorado - has not seen the field

dixon- no school listed

gebbia - was back up for most games but may start this year

bell - had about500 yards rushing

tyjon - only 29 catches after two seasons

roberts - 152 tackles in his college career

When you go through the 2019 departures, you can see that Gebbia will have become possible starter at Oregon state, roberts plays but nobody else that left would have made any difference in Nebraska winning games. 

The main take aways, would have been nice if Gebbia stayed for depth and spot play, if roberts would have put in the work he might have seen some playing time at Nebraska, but other than that we got to see JD ruin his career, and have to replace the freshman DB's that left. 

It's too early to do an analysis on the 2021 departures, but even some of them are not having schools call them - example is Warner where no school is showing interest yet. Haven't heard anything on McCafrey either yet.