Sellout Streak in 2021

On 9/10/2021 at 9:10 AM, FrantzHardySwag said:

The age of 90,000+ seat CFB stadiums should be over. I think 60,000 - 80,000 is the sweet spot for large colleges. When every game is on TV, and, everyone has 65" 4K TVs - colleges need to prioritize fan experience at the stadiums. 

I think we will look back on history with this season and likely the next few as seeing the lowest percentage of sellouts for many major programs across the country.  When I lived in Lincoln and had season tickets, many others who had season tickets were in their 60s or 70s, and I imagine this holds true in other big P5 programs as well.  Those are really a higher risk group when it comes to Covid and I imagine many are not willing to take a risk in large crowds until things get better.  With that said, I agree that it would be wise for Nebraska to focus on upgrading the seats and reduce the capacity size for the stadium by about 10,000 or 12,000 seats (maybe low to mid 70s as capacity).  It would likely generate more demand if the supply is cut and keep the sellout streak intact for many years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be surprised when there is a night game for even a good team and seats are available. 

Last Saturday an 84 year old woman was talking to me in line- her grandson had taken her to the game. She was so proud of the fact she was going because she lives by North Platte and it was probably going to be past 10:30 before they got onto the interstate to go home and about 2 when they got home.  Nice Hotel rooms close can be scarce and pricey- used to have to buy 2 nights at the Embassy Suites and reserve it way in advance back in the day. Not everyone out West likes doing that. 

Others around the country look at the “streak” as being a bit of a joke by now. Yes, technically the seats have been sold, but selling them to a corporate sponsor at less than face value is no way to keep it alive. There should be an asterisk next to it, just like they should do with Barry Bonds “juiced” home run record. 

Now before being run out of here, it was a hell of a legit sellout run, but it is over.

• Oh Yeah! 1

10 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Others around the country look at the “streak” as being a bit of a joke by now. Yes, technically the seats have been sold, but selling them to a corporate sponsor at less than face value is no way to keep it alive. There should be an asterisk next to it, just like they should do with Barry Bonds “juiced” home run record. 

Now before being run out of here, it was a hell of a legit sellout run, but it is over.

Attend a game in Lincoln and then tell me how BS the streak is.  Our stadium is full for every home game.  However that is accomplished, it counts imo.  You could give seats away for most other schools around the country and not fill their stadium 2/3 full.  Husker fans show up, period.  People around the country can "joke" about it all they want but the reality is 99% of the time it is jealousy because they don't have anywhere near the same fan support.

• Plus1 5
10 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Bitter pricks around the country look at it like that. Most reasonable people understand that the damn stadium has sold every ticket for a long long time, a lot longer than ANY other school in the US. I am sure it is tough to wrap your head around when you cheer for programs that, say, have had success for small stint of history over the past few years. The fact is, NU has been horrible for 5 times as long as either of the programs in your handle has been good and we still fill the stadium weekly for our boys.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Attend a game in Lincoln and then tell me how BS the streak is.  Our stadium is full for every home game.  However that is accomplished, it counts imo.  You could give seats away for most other schools around the country and not fill their stadium 2/3 full.  Husker fans show up, period.  People around the country can "joke" about it all they want but the reality is 99% of the time it is jealousy because they don't have anywhere near the same fan support.

That is very true. However even this year where I sit, there have been plenty of open seats- areas where 4-5 seats are open Within sight. It hasn't been a tight squeeze at all. That isn't a one year thing HCSF year one was pretty tight, not so much this year or 2019. Same issues late in the Riley era. We are 59 rows up in middle of endzone- so not row 99 etc. Tickets were selling out of in front for $15 for Northwestern game. Will be interesting to see what happens with Michigan.  All seats are bought, just not everyone attends as in years past. That's why we need to improve the fan experience and invest in stadium improvements. People will eventually tire of paying- not going- not being able to recover price of tickets. 

10 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Bitter pricks around the country look at it like that. Most reasonable people understand that the damn stadium has sold every ticket for a long long time, a lot longer than ANY other school in the US. I am sure it is tough to wrap your head around when you cheer for programs that, say, have had success for small stint of history over the past few years. The fact is, NU has been horrible for 5 times as long as either of the programs in your handle has been good and we still fill the stadium weekly for our boys.

So, it is a bit like making out with your cousin. Technically it is a piece of azz, but she still is your cousin.

when donors have to buy excess tickets, yes it is a sellout, but is there really pride in that? You had a great, great run, but time to accept the end of the sellout streak.

You are right in one point, your team has been horrible. So have your great fans by booing the coaching staff, the team, and at times individual team members. Pretty stellar indeed. 

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

So, it is a bit like making out with your cousin. Technically it is a piece of azz, but she still is your cousin.

when donors have to buy excess tickets, yes it is a sellout, but is there really pride in that? You had a great, great run, but time to accept the end of the sellout streak.

You are right in one point, your team has been horrible. So have your great fans by booing the coaching staff, the team, and at times individual team members. Pretty stellar indeed. 

we can’t all be stellar like Kkkirk Ferentz

• Plus1 3