Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not always, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this one.

I'd consider alternative explanations as to why anyone would want to retain a .340 coach that has recruiting in the toilet.

Because a firing a HC and replacing with another isn't any kind of guarantee of success. So it comes down to whether taking a chance on Frost for another year is worth it, especially considering we can still fire him next year but we can't unfire him next year. I think with as close as Frost as been this year and the difficulty of the schedule, it's more likely Frost will succeed than a replacement HC starting from scratch would. The additional bonus of reducing Frost's buyout makes it a pretty easy call to keep him IMO (especially since we don't know if Alberts had the money to fire him and pay the next staff).

The strongest reason IMO to fire Frost now instead of giving another year is that our recruiting class is so small this year, so a HC transition would hurt the least in recruiting this year. But I think that's a rather small part of the decision though.

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Enhance said:

Ehh... I think it's a stretch to say he is "not" a strategic thinker. But it is really difficult to process some of the things we've heard in recent days. The idea of him stepping back from the offense is almost being presented like... like the offense doesn't need him and other areas do. With special teams I absolutely agree, but the defense seems to largely be in a good place. I would argue the offense is the most responsible for why this team hasn't been able to win this season. It's just a bit odd.

I strongly disagree with this. He has openly acknowledged that they needed to change things so I'm not sure what you expected him to say. Did you want him to openly dunk on a bunch of guys that worked with/for him for a long time and are friends? Guys he had to fire? Guys that he's probably trying to help damage control their situations? It would be classless and unethical to just be like "yeah these dudes suck for reasons x, y and z."

Happy to offer clarification on both counts.  As to the first, I think it is fair to say that our esteemed HC spends nearly all of his time focused on playcalling and offensive tactics.  In other words, he cannot see the forest for the trees.  Given the results in terms of wins and losses these past 4 years, it would have been helpful for him to step back 2 or 3 years ago and right-size his offensive approach to his defense and special teams (i.e. play field position, field goal decisions, etc.).  I think his view has been so limited, that he operated under the assumption that like his time at Oregon and UCF, he could simply outscore opponents rendering defense and special teams as moot.  That has not happened.  All three units have to work in concert.  

In terms of the second point, of course he should be professional and courteous when dismissing coaches who have been loyal to him and have worked tirelessly for the benefit of the program.  I was simply pointing out that I think his comments were more than professional courtesy.  He simply does not see any structural issues with the approach he is taking and these coaches were merely part of the bargain he made in an attempt to preserve his job status.  That to me illustrates that he is incapable of the course correction necessary to bring about true success.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just my take...but I think HCSF too often looks at his whiteboard and determines what he believes "should work" based on perfect execution instead of acknowledging the fact not all his players are capable of doing what his play requests.  Easiest example being leaving Benhart on an island in a long-developing pass plays without having a RB or TE at least chip him.  He desperately needs to start assessing the relative talent at each of the "X" vs "O" assignments on his whiteboard and adjust both the plays and his playcalling accordingly.  Just as a side note, if the sideline isn't going to shift the RB or TE to Benhart's side on long-developing pass plays, then for the love of God you have to give the QB the authority to make that audible/adjustment. 

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

My thought and issue is. HOW do you fix some thing if its no ones fault.  Frosty literally said its no ones fault. 

same scheme, Frost will still be heavily involved in it, new OC will struggle, under Frost.

may bat .500 next season, maybe.

this has just become a bigger mess.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

same scheme, Frost will still be heavily involved in it, new OC will struggle, under Frost.

may bat .500 next season, maybe.

this has just become a bigger mess.

And .500 will be considered progress and he will be retained. Then they may go 7 or 8 wins in 2023 with a possible 9 wins in 2024. The idea that it would take five years to even hit .500 makes me want to puke. Combine that with 7 years to hit 9 wins and I am convinced that many fans and NU have accepted a low bar and full on mediocrity. 

SF hangs around 7 to 9 wins per year and he will never be let go, my god how far NU has fallen makes me ill. :facepalm:

C

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1