New Staff Selection

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.

No question, we need to score more points.  Some fans point to our low points per yards.  We scored 23 points per game in conference play.  It would be great if we would get that over 30.

However, when looking at that stat, you also have to look at the other part of the equation.  When special teams are constantly setting us up to start around our 10 yard line, and you have a team that's successful at moving the ball.  That's a long ways away from the other end zone and it's understandable that we would be racking up more yards per point than a team whose special teams is allowing them to start drives outside their 20.  Or...if their ST is scoring points themselves.  

We had a pretty good TD to redzone trips ratio.  However, most other teams are scoring points also on those trips into the redzone that didn't end up in TDs.

Add all that together, and it spells out that we need drastic improvement on ST that we all know.  Improve that and our O line and we are more successful.

If we simply had mediocre ST and OL play we'd be 7-5 easily right now. Probably better.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

And you knew that several coaches would swarm to other jobs all in the same year.

???

Nope, I didn’t and don’t know s#!t. What does that have to do with anything I said?

Sure the shakeups with ND-LSU and OU-USC are muddying the waters but other than MJ deciding what he’s going to do, it really doesn’t affect NU much. And BTW, I’d be happy if MJ came to NU but that is not the splash hire of our dreams. It’s a solid choice fir WRs and recruiting, that’s it. IMO there is no excuse for not having an OC named yet. The excessive delay is hurting us. It doesn’t have anything to do with what I knew/know but everything to do with what this team needs to get back to winning. 

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

...IMO there is no excuse for not having an OC named yet. The excessive delay is hurting us. It doesn’t have anything to do with what I knew/know but everything to do with what this team needs to get back to winning. 

Unless that guy still has some important games to coach yet this year...  

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IMO there is no excuse for not having an OC named yet. The excessive delay is hurting us. It doesn’t have anything to do with what I knew/know but everything to do with what this team needs to get back to winning. 

Well, a quality OC is going to be either still coaching or getting other offers that they're considering. So we could guarantee a quick hire by offering a lesser OC or try getting a better OC but that comes with delays and risk of not accepting our offer. As I've posted elsewhere, Nebraska can't operate unilaterally - the coaches we're interested in have free will to do what they want and there's additional considerations like how many jobs are available and what other teams are offering.

• Plus1 3