Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

I for one am very curious to see how Prime does. My personal opinion is that he'll recruit like crazy, pull in solid recruits, have decent success in the conference (especially since it's crumbling), and bounce in a few years for a "better" opportunity. I think his coaching is solid, and he's putting together what appears to be a good staff.

The thing that I just can't get over, and it probably says more about me than him, is his general persona. Every time that I see him speak, it just feels so rehearsed. He comes off as a used car salesman to me, just spouting off pre-planned speaking points. I heard him say something about change yesterday, and he just kept saying that change is hard, but useful, over and over. Just seems so disingenuous to me, but like I say, that's probably more about me than him, and he's not exactly trying to recruit my old a$$ to come play for him. 

• Plus1 2

On 12/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, AZRaiderH8r said:

I for one am very curious to see how Prime does. My personal opinion is that he'll recruit like crazy, pull in solid recruits, have decent success in the conference (especially since it's crumbling), and bounce in a few years for a "better" opportunity. I think his coaching is solid, and he's putting together what appears to be a good staff.

The thing that I just can't get over, and it probably says more about me than him, is his general persona. Every time that I see him speak, it just feels so rehearsed. He comes off as a used car salesman to me, just spouting off pre-planned speaking points. I heard him say something about change yesterday, and he just kept saying that change is hard, but useful, over and over. Just seems so disingenuous to me, but like I say, that's probably more about me than him, and he's not exactly trying to recruit my old a$$ to come play for him. 

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about Sanders. He’ll do some good things at CU then bounce. And it’s not just you, his speaking feels rehearsed and curated and repeats the day’s talking point.

• Plus1 2
On 12/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, AZRaiderH8r said:

It's definitely interesting to watch.

I think they expect a possibility that Sanders might bounce after a few years.

......of course Rhule's resume and our 20 year coaching history indicates Rhule likely won't be at Nebraska in 5 years...for one of two reasons.....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

It's definitely interesting to watch.

I think they expect a possibility that Sanders might bounce after a few years.

......of course Rhule's resume and our 20 year coaching history indicates Rhule likely won't be at Nebraska in 5 years...for one of two reasons.....

You probably are right.  However, I look at someone like Rhule and think….coaches know they are going to move a lot…but, at some point, do they want to get to their prime spot and stay. 

That’s what I’m hoping for.  He’s been everywhere, to the NFL, several college spots. Can he be like Saben and just stay if he’s successful?

• TBH 1

22 minutes ago, 307husker said:

How can Coach Sanders (I absolutely refuse to indulge the narcissism of "coach prime") be extremely relevant and well known by today's kids while Nebraska's history of National Championships are completely irrelevant history when they occurred at the same time?

I kinda wondered the same. He had retired before most of these kids were born

17 hours ago, 307husker said:

How can Coach Sanders (I absolutely refuse to indulge the narcissism of "coach prime") be extremely relevant and well known by today's kids while Nebraska's history of National Championships are completely irrelevant history when they occurred at the same time?

The dads and high school coaches of today's kids remember Deion Sanders. Deion Sanders was a two-sports superstar and a love him or hate him celebrity on a national level. Also, every teenager who has played Madden EA has a working knowledge of past NFL superstars. 

Nebraska's National Championships around the same era aren't completely irrelevant either. Football dads and coaches remember them, too, although that team was a collective, and not one individual like say Tommie Frazier becoming a college HC based on his past celebrity. 

I think you're exaggerating a bit in both directions. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2022 at 6:20 PM, 307husker said:

Umm...maybe because he's is currently still coaching and as a matter of fact seems to be on the upspring as far as that current and still evolving career is concerned perhaps??????

I'm not at all on Deion's you know what's or anything but man this thread.  :blink:  Gotta love the inferwebs...

• Plus1 1