** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

Just now, Lorewarn said:

He's not worried,  he's a smart marketer. He's getting the base riled up, giving the players and boosters a narrative and getting everyone hyped on it. 

That may be true, but why is he wasting extra energy on Nebraska and the whole "red in the locker room".  To me, it's creating unnecessary noise.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That may be true, but why is he wasting extra energy on Nebraska and the whole "red in the locker room".  To me, it's creating unnecessary noise.

Or….. it’s his biggest traditional rival scheduled and from a time period where he actually understood when the two teams were at their peak within the rivalry. Or should the guy drum up interest with teams that he’ll no longer have a tie to after next season lol

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

People seem to love Rhule’s grasp of, and willingness to lock onto Husker traditions and researching the glory days.  Amusing that when other coaches do it, we question why, or poke fun. This is Prime reaching back to McCartney days, hence their glory days. This is straight out of Mac’s rebuild of CU. I hate CU, they are right behind Iowa on the puke meter… but can’t fault Prime for doing what we applaud Rhule for doing.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, HANC said:

People seem to love Rhule’s grasp of, and willingness to lock onto Husker traditions and researching the glory days.  Amusing that when other coaches do it, we question why, or poke fun. This is Prime reaching back to McCartney days, hence their glory days. This is straight out of Mac’s rebuild of CU. I hate CU, they are right behind Iowa on the puke meter… but can’t fault Prime for doing what we applaud Rhule for doing.

McCartney picked Nebraska as their rival because we were in the same conference and were who they wanted to be. It's a little awkward with them changing conferences (and not knowing for sure who will be in the Big 12 long term), but we are not the logical team to pick a fight with like McCartney did. We won't play again for a long time, and I assume Colorado is aspiring to greater heights than where we are currently.

I'm all for recognizing what this rivalry was and bringing up that history, and maybe that's Deion's intent here. But reinstituting traditions specific to a team you are playing for two years (with no conference standing implications) and then maybe never again is different than tapping into more general traditions.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

McCartney picked Nebraska as their rival because we were in the same conference and were who they wanted to be. It's a little awkward with them changing conferences (and not knowing for sure who will be in the Big 12 long term), but we are not the logical team to pick a fight with like McCartney did. We won't play again for a long time, and I assume Colorado is aspiring to greater heights than where we are currently.

I'm all for recognizing what this rivalry was and bringing up that history, and maybe that's Deion's intent here. But reinstituting traditions specific to a team you are playing for two years (with no conference standing implications) and then maybe never again is different than tapping into more general traditions.

It's red meat for their fanbase, nothing more, and it's effective at that. He's selling hype, and trying to get attention, and it's obviously working.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

40 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

It's red meat for their fanbase, nothing more, and it's effective at that. He's selling hype, and trying to get attention, and it's obviously working.

This^^^
I don’t blame him for doing it just as I can’t blame McCartney when he did it. It serves their purpose and gives them something to strive towards. And honestly it still feels like more of a rivalry game than anything has in the B1G except for maybe Iowa.  But I’ll still b!^@h about it, complain and make fun of them because it’s CU and Prime. Screw em. Hope they lose every game.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

I live in CO and hang in enough places that people are talking, at least. 
a couple few people here and there even talk s#!t. 
I’ve  seen more buff swag the last 6 months than I’ve seen in 5 yrs. 
they have no hopes, if they speak honestly, but they are at least ginned up a little. 

s#!t, at this point it’s nice to feel a rub n burn for football again btwn us. They no likey and I’m glad for that; we must win so I can serve up some pie 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Just as a few have pointed out, he isn’t trying to recreate a rival, but he IS playing to the fan base who still hates Nebraska, just like our fan base dislikes them, or Texas for that matter. It is a big game for them, home opener, and he is bringing back the type of stuff that McCartney did, which their fans loved.

PS- I agree with JJ…. Let them lose every game, each and every year…lol

• TBH 1

Some guy filling in on local radio today (I didn't catch his name) actually said that not only will he be taking sCUm in week one with the points against TCU (current line is around 20), but he is picking them to win outright because TCU lost so many players from their national championship appearing team last year. I'm sorry, what? He then said that sCUm would destroy Nebraska in the second game. I really, REALLY hope that he's wrong about both of those predictions. 

Update: I believe that it was Orlando Franklin.

Edited by AZRaiderH8r
Calling out Orlando!
  • Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Some guy filling in on local radio today (I didn't catch his name) actually said that not only will he be taking sCUm in week one with the points against TCU (current line is around 20), but he is picking them to win outright because TCU lost so many players from their national championship appearing team last year. I'm sorry, what? He then said that sCUm would destroy Nebraska in the second game. I really, REALLY hope that he's wrong about both of those predictions. 

v1MRD30.png

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1