Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think the OC can help Haarberg a lot.

I really wanted the Husker offense to deliver the NW win just by getting that first down on third and seven with three or so minutes left.

When they lined up with an empty backfield  I said "QB draw" out loud. Then the announcers said the same thing. No doubt the NW picked up on the obvious and snuffed it out.

I would like to see that play in less obvious usage in the first half. And while QBs get criticized for not staying patient in the pocket for receivers to get separation, that's not our situation here. We're back to a Jammal Lord dynamic, and I think Haarberg could cut and run whenever that big stretch of green appears and end up with better per play yardage over the course of the game.  

Yeah....I'm not really liking it when I see them in an empty back field with Haarberg.  It's way too obvious that you need to key on him.

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of the time they are in empty backfield that it's a QB draw.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah....I'm not really liking it when I see them in an empty back field with Haarberg.  It's way too obvious that you need to key on him.

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of the time they are in empty backfield that it's a QB draw.

I think they're likely to pass in a lot of empty backfield sets, but in that particular situation (lower risk, keep the clock running) you could sniff the keeper a mile away. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think they're likely to pass in a lot of empty backfield sets, but in that particular situation (lower risk, keep the clock running) you could sniff the keeper a mile away. 

Yeah, on the re-watch they did a pretty good job of running other plays from empty in general - but you know we weren't going to pass it there. If we don't have some kind of play action pass off of the QB draw by the end of the year I will be very disappointed. It's a weird one to do that with since it's kind of a double fake, but honestly I think they'd still bite in the right situation if he fakes the draw immediately instead of drop back, fake forward, then back to throw.

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, on the re-watch they did a pretty good job of running other plays from empty in general - but you know we weren't going to pass it there. If we don't have some kind of play action pass off of the QB draw by the end of the year I will be very disappointed. It's a weird one to do that with since it's kind of a double fake, but honestly I think they'd still bite in the right situation if he fakes the draw immediately instead of drop back, fake forward, then back to throw.

Tebow made a living off of this very thing in his college years.

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Program needs to get dirty in the off season.  Hopefully they have someone digging through the lower tier teams looking for a QB we can steal with an "opportunity" and/or NIL money.

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

Who!?

1 hour ago, Toe said:

If the rumors are to be believed, you might need to look just a little south for the guy we'll be targeting for NIL...

https://247sports.com/Player/avery-johnson-46111693/college-300989/

3 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

With as much as he's been playing the last couple games, the success he has had in those games, being from the Wichita area, and not to mention that KSU's program has been considerably better than NU's the last several years,  I don't see that happening. 

$ talks.

Any talk about Lincoln (Ohio St QB) tho? 

36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In the world of unprovable gut feelings and meaningless statistics, I think we'd be 5-2 and operating a better offense if we had kept Casey Thompson.

Would we have kept Whipple too?

Rhule has said all along he wanted a QB run game.  CT was not a fit for that.

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I know exactly what happened on that play, I've done it in games myself. Your eyes are watching both players and both get open, mentally you decide to throw the ball and somehow your brain aims for right between the two open players instead of for one or the other. It sucks, its like you're mentally tracking them both at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I know exactly what happened on that play, I've done it in games myself. Your eyes are watching both players and both get open, mentally you decide to throw the ball and somehow your brain aims for right between the two open players instead of for one or the other. It sucks, its like you're mentally tracking them both at the same time. 

I've done that at the bar a few times.  Trying to make eye contact with one when another walked past.  Missed on both.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's a famous quarterback whisperer — I think Taylor Martinez was sent to. him one summer -- who says footwork is so important for a QB that he doesn't even let them throw for a couple weeks until they get it down. 

I completely agree with that. Everything in sports starts with footwork.  Good feet setup timing, accuracy, and power in almost anything athletic.

I'm just some internet idiot but to me Haarberg's footwork is meh. His base is too wide on a lot of throws, and he's got this weird thing going on where he drags his front leg at the top of his drop backs from the gun. It's kind of like a boxer pulling back to avoid a jab. I think that really screws up his timing on the quick hitters, and causes the low throwing angle as he's off balance.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I also don't think the other WR was open until after HH started to throw it.  Maybe the two options were too close for too long.  You can tell that Fidone has the underneath guy beat.  You kind of assume that the deep defender is going to have to go with the deep route.  So it looked like Fidene should have been wide open.  But then deep defender anticipates/guesses correctly.  But the ball is already on the way by then.

Of course, a good throw probably still gets a completion instead of an interception.  Which is where you comment plays into it.

• TBH 1