Potential Assistant coach change(s)

Maybe Satterfield totally sucks. Maybe he's waiting for better pieces to play with.

Maybe it's a Shawn Watson situation. Watson was OC for the last worst Husker offense in 2009, when our defense was actually good enough to make us a spoiler in the National Championship picture. The inside word was that our starting quarterback Zac Lee was totally killing it in practice, but often failed to bring it on Saturday. He just wasn't as good as advertised, but significantly better than back-up Cody Green. 

After a really anemic offense all season, Watson had a month to retool for our bowl game against a highly respected Arizona defense. He put Zac Lee into the RPO he wanted to run all along, and the Huskers rolled 33-0. Next season he ran the same offense with Taylor Martinez and the offense took off. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe Satterfield totally sucks. Maybe he's waiting for better pieces to play with.

Maybe it's a Shawn Watson situation. Watson was OC for the last worst Husker offense in 2009, when our defense was actually good enough to make us a spoiler in the National Championship picture. The inside word was that our starting quarterback Zac Lee was totally killing it in practice, but often failed to bring it on Saturday. He just wasn't as good as advertised, but significantly better than back-up Cody Green. 

After a really anemic offense all season, Watson had a month to retool for our bowl game against a highly respected Arizona defense. He put Zac Lee into the RPO he wanted to run all along, and the Huskers rolled 33-0. Next season he ran the same offense with Taylor Martinez and the offense took off. 

Always wondered what could have been had they started Taylor as a true freshman. I believe the starting defense said he give them fits in practice 

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, Madcows said:

Unless someone leaves of his own free will for a better opportunity, I don't think anyone should be pushed out. All things considered, it hasn't been perfect, but it has been much better than the last 5 years and overall I'm liking the direction of the program. Hopefully Rhule and staff continue to build on it.

I agree here.  Unless the team tanks down the stretch, the program has taken strides forward so far and a new coaching staff needs more than just 1 yr to gel unless there was some putrid coaching at a certain position.   I’ve questioned Satt in the beginning and still think he makes some questionable drive calls.  I think he would be the only one to consider changing out, but one also has to consider what he was working with this year so I’m fine either way on how Rhule handles things.  Just hope they make the proper decision at QB for next year (whatever that may be based on the opportunities presented) 

• TBH 2

On 10/6/2023 at 12:31 AM, chamrocck said:

OL is the obvious choice. We need a Deion style reboot, like is there any downside to that?  I think recruits know Rhule has put guys in the league.  But has our OL coach?  We need a tie to the league and ensuring we are putting guys there.  Here is a guy I would look at seriously:

https://gohuskies.com/staff-directory/scott-huff/1488

Huff is awesome. Nebraska would have to offer him minimum 7 figures to leave and even then, why would he? He's making $850k, well entrenched at Washington and UW is absolutely rolling. I get that money talks and Nebraska has been opening up the purse strings but I'm not sure if NU is at '7 figures for a position coach' levels of spending. Would be tickled to be proven wrong!

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree here.  Unless the team tanks down the stretch, the program has taken strides forward so far and a new coaching staff needs more than just 1 yr to gel unless there was some putrid coaching at a certain position.   I’ve questioned Satt in the beginning and still think he makes some questionable drive calls.  I think he would be the only one to consider changing out, but one also has to consider what he was working with this year so I’m fine either way on how Rhule handles things.  Just hope they make the proper decision at QB for next year (whatever that may be based on the opportunities presented) 

This seems to be lost on the group of fans hemming and hawing for coaching changes six games into this season. Unfortunately, people see what other coaches do in their first year and assume that the success is sustainable and that every year they'll be plucking five stars out of the portal. What they often overlook is that many of the best programs in the country have a continuity within their coaching staff which has allowed them to develop into perennial powers. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

My main concern about Satt is his ability to evaluate portal QBs, I know it's a small sample size, but it's off to a rocky start. Depending on who may be available next off-season and who Nebraska can land will either change or solidify that concern.

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What we really need to do is target the best high school quarterback in the country, and make his dad our OC.

Ha!  No kidding!

Tony White MIGHT get some looks, which would be a problem.  He has proven himself to be a good DC and him and his staff do a wonderful job getting a ton of guys experience. 

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha!  No kidding!

Tony White MIGHT get some looks, which would be a problem.  He has proven himself to be a good DC and him and his staff do a wonderful job getting a ton of guys experience. 

He is associate HC already, I didn't catch that until recently, so that is good.  All depends on his goals.  He will get smaller school offers after this year I suspect.