Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 10/29/2020 at 8:44 AM, knapplc said:

We finished The Boys S2 the other night. Season 2 is on par with Season 1. 

Reveal hidden contents

I was surprised that the big confrontation between Starlight & Storm Front didn't end with Starlight absorbing Storm Front's electric power and unleashing it back on her with devastating force. Isn't that where Starlight gets her power, from electricity?  And they should have let Storm Front die there. It's annoying she's injured but alive.

Without looking at the spoiler, I fell off during season 2. The story isn't drawing me in, and the "Once-An-Episode-Shock-Value-Moments" aren't as shocking anymore. 

I might pick it back up after Mandalorian. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is exceptional. I've still got 3 episodes to go but the first 4 have been excellent. I wasn't sure I would like it but it is very compelling and hard to stop watching. I would like to get some sleep before the game tomorrow but it will probably be a few hours less than I'd like. :lol:

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is exceptional. I've still got 3 episodes to go but the first 4 have been excellent. I wasn't sure I would like it but it is very compelling and hard to stop watching. I would like to get some sleep before the game tomorrow but it will probably be a few hours less than I'd like. :lol:

This one kinda surprised me. It's really well done. I thought it'd be pretty lame with the whole chess thing but it was interesting on a lot of levels

• Plus1 2

Some things I've watched in the last few months:

• The Haunting of Bly Manor. I would mark this as mostly enjoyable, although it was far less captivating than The Haunting of Hill House. I also found much of the storytelling disjointed. It felt very slow at times with some interesting high notes, and then they rapidly tried to tie everything together in the final two episodes to make it all feel a bit rushed.
  • Marianne. A French horror series about a writer whose childhood ghost/entity has come back to torment her, forcing her to return to the town she grew up in and face her demons. Lot of creepy vibes, some good jump scares and story telling. I recommend taking the voice dubs off though. I don't think they're very good.
  • EVIL. This was/is a network show that's on Netflix (unsure if there are new seasons). We got about 3/4 of the way through the first season. It started off really promising but it didn't really hold my attention as well after the first half the season. Some of the really fun/interesting plot elements kind of trailed off.

I've just started watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix, too. This was purely a result of playing AC: Valhalla and getting really into Viking culture and the history of early England. I'm two episodes in. I'm enjoying it but it also feels very rushed. I think they missed a big opportunity to develop their main character because he goes from traumatized youth to full-fledged adult in the span of one episode. They probably could've spent half the first season developing the younger version of the main character.

Did another rewatch of Battle Royale which is currently streaming on IMDBtv (free w/ ads.)  If you're wondering what an R rated version of Hunger Games would look like.  Here you go.  Battle Royale came out in 2000 I think.  While there are a handful of differences, it's hard not to watch/read Battle Royale and think that Hunger Games didn't lift quite a bit of material.  Anyways, it's a great watch.