The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

I don't want to hire a big name for a sh*tload of money.

I want to find the guy who is hungry to earn his bones. Proven as a smaller college HC, or a young coodinator in the NCAA, maybe even a position coach in the NFL (Tom Rathman). Totally gets that Nebraska is the ticket, totally aware of the fanbase pressure, mindful of the Husker legacy he's being handed and he wants all of the pressure anyway because that's what drives him.

There are guys like this out there. In five years you'll recognize them and congratulate the team that took a chance on an exciting but unproven hire. I'm not sure it's a much bigger risk than chasing down the half dozen hot head coaches at the moment, who have proven themselves willing to leave a team for a bigger paycheck after a few years. The guys who bring success with them but no guarantees either. You don't know if they're still hungry. As mentioned, I really want the hungry guy.

Six years ago Bo Pelini fit this bill. If you remember, we actually considered him a safe hire. The problem isn't that we hired a coordinator without head coaching experience, we just hired the wrong coordinator. It happens. Houston Nutt doesn't win us any more games than Bo Pelini.

I don't want to hire a big name for a heapin' helpin' of money.

I want to find the guy who is hungry to earn his bones. Proven as a smaller college HC, or a young coodinator in the NCAA, maybe even a position coach in the NFL (Tom Rathman). Totally gets that Nebraska is the ticket, totally aware of the fanbase pressure, mindful of the Husker legacy he's being handed and he wants all of the pressure anyway because that's what drives him.

There are guys like this out there. In five years you'll recognize them and congratulate the team that took a chance on an exciting but unproven hire. I'm not sure it's a much bigger risk than chasing down the half dozen hot head coaches at the moment, who have proven themselves willing to leave a team for a bigger paycheck after a few years. The guys who bring success with them but no guarantees either. You don't know if they're still hungry. As mentioned, I really want the hungry guy.

Six years ago Bo Pelini fit this bill. If you remember, we actually considered him a safe hire. The problem isn't that we hired a coordinator without head coaching experience, we just hired the wrong coordinator. It happens. Houston Nutt doesn't win us any more games than Bo Pelini.

I think one has to really think about all of this. If we're to believe the shortlist from back then of Pelini, Gill, and Grobe; I'd venture to guess we wouldn't have near the success we have now had the job gone to one of the other two. If we go back even further to when Clownahan was hired and look at names floating around like Nutt, Wanstedt, etc.; it really comes down to some of the same. The last two coaching searches have come down to picking the best from a bad list. Those of us uneasy about removing Bo remember this.

• Fire 2

You guys think Richt is unattainable, but you mention guys like Lovie Smith and Dungy and Herm? Heck, why not add Cowher and Tomlin to the mix while you're at it.

All those names are unrealistic...

Including Petersen, Fitzgerald, and the easter bunny...

I don't think Petersen is too unrealistic.

Boise is struggling.

Petersen would be my top pick. He managed to make BCS games at a mid-level conference which is tough to do a single time, and he did it on more than one occasion. I think because of his past success, he will get the attention of recruits, and when Nebraska adds in the history and venue, it would be a more appealing proposition for prospects.

Gary Patterson used to be on everyones short list until he joined a big boy conference. Now, you rarely hear his name. Boise is strugling this year in a mid-level conference. This should tell you something. Plus, the previous two coaches to have big time success at Boise went on to suck it up big time in a real conference.

This is like that girlfriend who has finally gotten too annoying to tolerate anymore, but we've been through so much together, it's difficult to break up with her. Even worse, during the time that we've been dating this girl, we've let ourselves go a little. A bit of a spare tire around the waist, some thinning hair. We want to break up with this girl, but our propects once we get out on the meat market are kinda scary. We aren't as handsome as we used to be, and maybe our flirting skills are a bit rusty. Sure we tell ourselves that we can ditch the girl and date whoever we want. There's plenty of fish in the sea! But when we really look in the mirror, we fear that the hot young blondes in our little black book will laugh at us when we ask them out.

Yeah, we're classy and rich, but since we were once the hot young thing, a lot of other boys have gotten rich too, and now they have flatter abs. We deserve a girl prettier than Bo Pelini, but if we break up, will we have to rebound with the pudgy girl with the nice personality instead?

• Fire 4

This is like that girlfriend who has finally gotten too annoying to tolerate anymore, but we've been through so much together, it's difficult to break up with her. Even worse, during the time that we've been dating this girl, we've let ourselves go a little. A bit of a spare tire around the waist, some thinning hair. We want to break up with this girl, but our propects once we get out on the meat market are kinda scary. We aren't as handsome as we used to be, and maybe our flirting skills are a bit rusty. Sure we tell ourselves that we can ditch the girl and date whoever we want. There's plenty of fish in the sea! But when we really look in the mirror, we fear that the hot young blondes in our little black book will laugh at us when we ask them out.

Yeah, we're classy and rich, but since we were once the hot young thing, a lot of other boys have gotten rich too, and now they have flatter abs. We deserve a girl prettier than Bo Pelini, but if we break up, will we have to rebound with the pudgy girl with the nice personality instead?

LMFAO!!!! This is a great comparison........ :rollin :rollin :rollin

• Fire 1

Gary Patterson used to be on everyones short list until he joined a big boy conference. Now, you rarely hear his name. Boise is strugling this year in a mid-level conference. This should tell you something. Plus, the previous two coaches to have big time success at Boise went on to suck it up big time in a real conference.

One thing about Patterson is that he joined a bigger conference still as the HC of a program that doesn't have the resources of the big boys in that conference. It would be interesting if he were to take over OU or even OSU. Regarding Petersen, this is his first real down year, he has won 10 games or more every year, most years 11-13 wins; look at his record below. He has dealt with a bit more turn over this year than usual as well as a lot more injuries. In a program that doesn't have the recruiting chops to stockpile like big boy programs can, I find it amazing he as done what he has done. According to wiki, he is making $2.2mm this year and $2.5mm in 2014. I don't buy that Petersen falls into the same category as Hawkins, many feel that Hawkins owed his success to Petersen and frankly comparing the situation Hawkins walked into at CU vs. what Petersen would walk into at NU are not even on the same planet. Petersen worked under Belotti for 6 years as well, in addition to time at Pittsburg, so it isn't like Hawkins is his mentor or anything. Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°Boise State Broncos (Western Athletic Conference) (2006–2010) 2006 Boise State 13–0 8–0 1st W Fiesta 6 5 2007 Boise State 10–3 7–1 2nd L Hawai'i 2008 Boise State 12–1 8–0 1st L Poinsettia 13 11 2009 Boise State 14–0 8–0 1st W Fiesta 4 4 2010 Boise State 12–1 7–1 T–1st W Maaco Las Vegas 7 9 Boise State Broncos (Mountain West Conference) (2011–present) 2011 Boise State 12–1 6–1 2nd W Maaco Las Vegas 6 8 2012 Boise State 11–2 7–1 T–1st W Maaco Las Vegas 14 18 2013 Boise State 5–3 3–1 Boise State: 89–11 54–5 Total: 89–11

Experienced coaches - Paul Johnson GT, Peterson Boise, Tressel, OSU, Richt UG - these are my 4 leading contenders. Johnson did a lot wt little at Navy and he runs the option. I'm thinking he would have more resources to work wt at Neb than GT as well.

Regarding Johnson:

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/paul_johnson_337867.html

Paul Johnson, who has led Georgia Tech to five bowl games and two ACC Championship Game appearances while breaking records with his spread option offense, enters his sixth year with the Yellow Jackets and his 17th year overall as a head coach.

The only person ever named ACC Coach of the Year in his first two seasons in the league, Johnson has compiled a record of 40-26 in five seasons on the Flats. Johnson won more games in his first five seasons than any coach in Georgia Tech history. Over the last five seasons combined, only Virginia Tech has won more ACC games than Johnson's Yellow Jackets.

In 15 years overall as a head coach, with previous stops at Georgia Southern and Navy, Johnson owns a career record of 147-65. Only 13 active FBS coaches have won more games and only 12 coaches have won at a higher percentage.

The mastermind behind Georgia Tech's high-octane spread option offense, Johnson's teams have ranked in the top four nationally in rushing offense each of the last five seasons. Since 2008, Georgia Tech has rushed for more yards than any team in college football. Over the past five seasons combined, the Yellow Jackets have rushed for more than 20,000 yards -- or the equivalent of 11.4 miles.

What Johnson has accomplished at Georgia Tech has been remarkable:<p id="Content">

• In his first two seasons at Tech, Johnson was named the ACC Coach of the Year.
  • In 2008, he was named National Coach of the Year by CBS Sports.
  • In 2009, the Jackets played in the ACC title game against Clemson (Tech won the game, but later vacated).
  • Tech played in a BCS bowl game for the first time in 2009.
  • Under Johnson, Tech has averaged eight wins per season.
  • Tech led the nation in rushing in 2010 and finished second in 2011.
  • In 39 of Johnson's 66 games at Georgia Tech, the Yellow Jackets produced more than 400 yards of total offense.
  • Under Johnson, Tech produced four 1,000-yard rushers -- Jonathan Dwyer in 2008, Dwyer and Joshua Nesbitt in 2009, and Anthony Allen in 2010.
  • Over the last five years combined, the Yellow Jackets have produced 14 first team All-ACC selections.
  • Tech has produced two first team All-Americans under Johnson -- Michael Johnson in 2008 and Derrick Morgan in 2009.
  • Since Johnson's arrival, a Tech player has been named ACC Offensive Player of the Year (Dwyer in 2008) and ACC Defensive Player of the Year (Morgan in 2009).
  • Johnson is 12-5 at Tech in games decided by five points or less.
  • Tech has scored more than 30 points in a game 31 times under Johnson and has a 28-3 record in those contests.
  • In 2009, Tech won in Tallahassee (Fla.) for the first time in school history, beat a top-five ranked team at home (Virginia Tech) for the first time since 1962, won on the road in Charlottesville (Va.) for the first time since 1990 and earned its highest national ranking (7th) since 1999.
  • In Johnson's five seasons, Tech has scored 15 non-offensive touchdowns (three each season).
  • Johnson is 6-2 in home games against top-25 opponents.
  • Under Johnson, Tech's Academic Progress Report (APR) scores have risen each of the last four years.
    Last season Georgia Tech struggled to a 2-4 start, which included a pair of heart-breaking overtime losses to ACC Coastal Division rivals Virginia Tech and Miami. But the Yellow Jackets turned it around the second half of the season, erupting for 68 points at North Carolina en route to winning four straight conference games. By the time the dust cleared in late November, Tech was crowned Coastal Division champion and played in the ACC Championship Game.

It's sad that this will be my first post to this forum, as I have been and will continue to be a spporter for Bo Pelini until he is officially fired/ resigns as head coach. With that being said, I will throw out names that I think could succeed at Nebraska and that would be willing to come to the University pending the right contract.

Chris Petersen (Boise State) has been mentioned in this post and I think would be successful here at NU. He knows how to recruit decent players to a less than desirable school and has a knack for developing talent and utilizing the strenghts of his players.

Tim DeRuyter (Fresno State), Dabo Swinney (Clemson), Pete Lembo (Ball State), Bronco Mendenhall (BYU), and Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss) would all be formidable options in my humble opinion.

Monte Kiffin - If you fire Bo and hire Monte, you have the exact same defensive scheme pretty much with that Tampa Two Monte runs. Someone more X's and O's knowledgable can correct me there if I am wrong about the similarities between the two schemes.

I don't claim to have any sort of advanced Xs & Os knowledge, but you're wrong.

At least as far as being the exact same scheme. The obvious differences are Kiffin's defensive line run 1-gap exclusively and the back 7 are mostly in zone coverage. Both of which are basically the exact opposite of Pelini's scheme. And I don't remember the last time I saw one of Bo's MLBs drop deep into coverage.

Either way, I think Kiffin is satisfied with being an NFL coordinator for the twilight of his coaching career. But I'd be on board if he brought Marinelli along with him. I can't help but think Gregory, and maybe even Valentine would be top 5 picks under Marinelli's tutelage.

Money won't be an issue, the committment to win by the University is already there. But by all means, lets just wildly dismiss coaches as unattainable. Intelligent.

Wildly? Don't believe so.

What would pull Hugh Freeze from a school in the SEC that he's recruited to very well and has a very young and talented team? What would pull a guy out of that talent Rich of an area to Nebraska??? It wouldn't make sense for him to do.

Dabo Swinney. Same thing. What pulls him from a job like Clemson to a place that is further away from the talent when you are hours away from Florida, Georgia, and you are in South Carolina?

Chris Peterson. We've been over this. He was offered a blank check to go to UCLA. He chose to stay at Boise State. UCLA is an easier job than Nebraska and quite frankly, it is a better job.

It would make zero sense for any of the above coaches to leave their current gig for a lateral move to NU.

As I've stated, if we go through a coaching change, I feel many Husker fans will be humbled by the experience.

• Fire 2